2520XLD Anchor and chain

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Skeeter

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on what anchor and chain I need to go with.

Mississippi Gulf Coast so 90% of the time will be anchored at the barrier islands. Sandy bottom 5’-20’ deep.

Dansforths are popular in this area. Would a 14lb be sufficient?

Also what size diameter chain and what length should I get? Do I need 25ft of chain if I don’t plan on anchoring offshore?

What diameter rope? I was thinking 300ft would suffice for what I’m doing.

Thanks in advance

For what it’s worth, I thought the 14# Danforth was a bit light, fits snug in the bow pulpit though. Safety rules, it’s your only brake should you lose power. You want to hold anchor in most any condition. 25’ of chain is minimum, that is what holds flukes in place. 300’ more than enough IMO. Diameter by boat’s weight, waterline and windless, if you have.

Looking for recommendations on what anchor and chain I need to go with.

Mississippi Gulf Coast so 90% of the time will be anchored at the barrier islands. Sandy bottom 5’-20’ deep.

Dansforths are popular in this area. Would a 14lb be sufficient?

Also what size diameter chain and what length should I get? Do I need 25ft of chain if I don’t plan on anchoring offshore?

What diameter rope? I was thinking 300ft would suffice for what I’m doing.

Thanks in advance
A short answer (imho) is a big no, on the 14lb. Go at least 21lb. Danforth's are ok' but I've had better luck with plows/Delta/CQR, and now a lot of folks like the Rochnas (sp?). Depends on how dense or loose the sand is. I say at Least 25' of chain; much more if you can handle it..... Anchoring is a big subject; and everyone's needs (and opinions) vary. If just anchoring while fishing or for a 'lunch' hook (everyone onboard, awake, monitoring your position) that's less important than when anchoring in questionable anchorages, rough seas and/or especially overnight.... Edit. Delete.

Last edited:
The 9lb is rated for 17'-27' size boats. Always go up from what the info says at least 1 size. 14lb is rated for 27'-31'.

25ft 1/4in chain will do you fine.

Don't think of anchoring at the island..... Think of the emergency

I enlarged the anchor locker on mine.... It would hold 600ft- 1/2in 3twist....25ft of 1/4in G4 chain and ran it thru a Lemar ProFish 700 Free Fall.

I'm in Pensacola....Pretty much the same type bottom over here. FYI: I have anchored @ the Owriskini. [200+ ft]

Now...Let me give you a hint for the islands.

Drop anchor and back to the island. Trim the engine up and anchor the stern with a smaller anchor on the beach that you stow in a Milk create.
This keeps the gellcoat from being sanded away by the sand....It makes it much easier to get on/off the boat.

With a a Windless and remote control it makes it SUPER easy to adjust the boat.

A short answer (imho) is a big no, on the 14lb. Go at least 21lb. Danforth's are ok' but I've had better luck with plows/Delta/CQR, and now a lot of folks like the Rochnas (sp?). Depends on how dense or loose the sand is. I say at Least 25' of chain; much more if you can handle it..... Anchoring is a big subject; and everyone's needs (and opinions) vary. If just anchoring while fishing or for a 'lunch' hook (everyone onboard, awake, monitoring your position) that's less important than when anchoring in questionable anchorages, rough seas and/or especially overnight.... Edit. Delete.
I see a lot of people are saying 25ft of 1/4” chain. Wondering if 15’ of 1/2” would be better.

The 9lb is rated for 17'-27' size boats. Always go up from what the info says at least 1 size. 14lb is rated for 27'-31'.

25ft 1/4in chain will do you fine.

Don't think of anchoring at the island..... Think of the emergency

I enlarged the anchor locker on mine.... It would hold 600ft- 1/2in 3twist....25ft of 1/4in G4 chain and ran it thru a Lemar ProFish 700 Free Fall.

I'm in Pensacola....Pretty much the same type bottom over here. FYI: I have anchored @ the Owriskini. [200+ ft]

Now...Let me give you a hint for the islands.

Drop anchor and back to the island. Trim the engine up and anchor the stern with a smaller anchor on the beach that you stow in a Milk create.
This keeps the gellcoat from being sanded away by the sand....It makes it much easier to get on/off the boat.

With a a Windless and remote control it makes it SUPER easy to adjust the boat.
Yeah I plan on buying a windlass in the future. Are you running a 2520 out of Pensacola?

I see a lot of people are saying 25ft of 1/4” chain. Wondering if 15’ of 1/2” would be better.
I think some are saying 1/4" because some common windlass uses the 1/4". I prefer at least 5/16", but 1/4" made be ok, (just strong enough) for a 25' boat. Are you using a windlass? If so, the windlass would have to accommodate the 1/2" chain. I'm all for the weight of the 1/2", but if you can use any 1/2", I'd say go for at least 25' of 1/2"..... The more, the better; but that's just my opinion. Our last boat used 50' of 3/8" chain. The weight of that chain may a great sentinel and helped setting the anchor in a variety of bottoms, and in adverse conditions.

Yeah I plan on buying a windlass in the future. Are you running a 2520 out of Pensacola?

Yes, it was a 2530.... It's now in Alaska.

I think some are saying 1/4" because some common windlass uses the 1/4"

That is correct and must be BBB or G4 chain. Moving to 5/16 requires a different windless. It also requires larger rope. These Parkers have fairly small anchor lockers....Larger rope = Less length.

[Just strong enough]
LOL Your not picking the boat up with it.
Working Load Limit (WLL): 2600 lbs

If you plan a windlass in the future, save yourself money now by buying appropriate cordage and chain that can be used in a windlass. 300’ of line and 20’ of chain are good. I also prefer a plow anchor, one size bigger that what is recommended.

Agree, there is big difference between anchoring when it would be convenient for the anchor to hold vs you need the anchor to hold. My anchoring is almost exclusively for fishing and typically in water never deeper then about 35’ and I am frequently solo which depending on the wind & current conditions can make getting the anchor aboard a challenge. I have a windlass but for the style of anchoring I do the vast majority of the time, using the windlass is not as efficient as a keeping my anchoring tackle in a bin and recovering the anchor with a ball retriever. Where I anchor to fish is a very rocky bottom and I have gotten more then one anchor hung up (even with a breakaway rigged) that had to be donated to Davey Jones. This is a lot easier to stomach with $60 worth of anchoring tackle donated then it is with $600.

I do keep a serious anchor on board and my windlass is set up with the ground tackle to support it but it almost never sees water.

For my anchoring situations, I find that it’s easier and more cost effective to have both light and heavier duty anchoring tackle on board….

Is there current/surge/wind involved? Will you remain in the boat during the anchoring process, or might you leave the boat? Length / Weight of boat?
These factors will determine your chain/rode size, as well as your scope, which is how much chain/rode is required for various depths.

At only 20' of depth, a 7:1 scope would demand 140' of chain/rode. That should be enough in most circumstances. 10:1 might be necessary in storm situations. Always better to carry as much chain as your boat will tolerate. Chain will keep your anchor from dislodging. Rope is not as effective in doing so. Use a short strand of rope for a spring line to take the tension off your windlass, and cleats.

Make sure the chain size is sufficient for the size of your boat. 5/16" is normal for a 20-30' boat. Size your windlass accordingly.

We own CQR, Rocna/Spade, and Fluke anchors for our 37' sailboat which weighs around 10 tons fully loaded, all of which do well in sand. The Rocna sets the best, with the strongest holding power. We use a Rocna on our 21' Parker as well. If we leave the sailboat, and there is wind/current/surge present, we set the Fluke off the stern to hold the boat straight, preventing the Rocna from dragging or dislodging. We don't leave the Parker unattended.

I found (Can't really tell by the pic I just took) but the last 20 inches or so next to the anchor is bit larger chain. give it more weight there so it digs just a little better... I tried it and it made a difference for me.. 2 cents.

Attachments

• 20240503_142352.jpg
    20240503_142352.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back