Parker Yahoo Group Archived Messages

ID From Subject Date
725 wayne camarano Re: Parker Bilge Upgrade 2/8/2006 1:29:00

hi tom,what does THT stand for? Is tht "the hull truth"where you did research?
on what? always curious on gaining knowledge..thanks wayne

jebnet2000 <<a href="/group/parkerboats/post?postID=11Sje-VbWceBrEb8QRmgpg9-xIiD-B_j6qlludyVIfOhK9rocrO9QBvM3P2eeQhAUeVl3QJ311vHnaGcyu4">tom_sheehy@...</a>> wrote: After seeing Megabyte's report on
his bilge upgrade last year, and
seeing how easily his thru-hulls snapped off, I put this project on
my TO-Do list for the spring. My boat is a 1999 21' DVCC that I
purchased a year ago.

I went out back and crawled under the tarp this afternoon to take a
better look and was surprised by what I found. Maybe I've been
reading THT for too long, but I was surprised to see that the thru-
hull was the 90* type and that the hose ran straight down through
to the bilge pump and was unsupported along its length.

In my boat, access to the thru-hull is through the corner-
seat/storage box in the stern, and as you can see in the picture,
there isn't enough room to get a loop in above the thru-hull to
prevent water from coming in. On top of that, the solid, smooth-
bore bilge hose that I purchased isn't very flexible.

See these two pics:

View of stern box showing thru-hull:
<a href=""></a>

View of bilge hose coming down from above and running straight to
bilge pump unsupported:
<a href=""></a>

From my research on THT, I can see that a check valve or joker valve
isn't a recommended solution for a bilge pump. So, is there
anything else I can do to limit water coming in? I ran the boat
last season in all kinds of conditions and never had any trouble
with water coming in, so I'm not that worried about it.

Also, the requirement for a 90* thru-hull limits my options pretty
quickly if I want to stay with the same size mounting hole. I
couldn't find any 90* chromed over bronze, stainless, or Marelon
fittings for 1 1/8" hose and 1 3/8" mounting hole. Looks like I am
limited to the cheaper plastic types, with TH Marine being the best
bet. I looked at several other brands on-line, and couldn't find
any others that would work (SeaChoice & Cabelas didn't list the
mounting hole size; Attwood & Rule use different hole sizes).

Just wondering if anyone else has any other options or ideas? I'd
love to find a source for a higher-quality plastic version.

I am planning on installing a second bilge-pump, so maybe I
shouldn't worry about it and just make sure that I check the
condition of the plastic thru-hulls regularly?

-- Tom

Parker mortgage Parker real estate agent Parker home Parker
Boating safety Parker real estate


Visit your group "parkerboats" on the web.

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
<a href="/group/parkerboats/post?postID=fDMZsz2cXOIIj5c4sOUsTMQAcCc1BgFZYp1ri1fY1tz5H50fDFynbwWP2I59iYEy9DGyRlTLoy1gXBWdBOOYvAmnHiTWlIhRTjtwVzB3lzfD"></a>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


Relax. Yahoo! Mail virus scanning helps detect nasty viruses!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]