www.ClassicParker.com

www.ClassicParker.com

Dedicated to Parker Boats and Their Owners

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 2120 - "Cat's Cradle"- Off Season Projects
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:11 am 

Thanks Kevin. Last month I finally had a chance to give the set up a good test and i ran the AC on it about 2.25 hrs without issue. I think to keep to the no more than 50% discharge rule on the battery I need to shut it down at about 2.5 hr according to calculations. I wish there was a way to increase my charging output but I’ve not found anyway to do that on an outboard without changing the motor.

"Cat's Cradle"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm 

Looking into adding AC to my 2530 in the future and was looking at different options. Im thinking inverter and battery may be the best bet for me too. I have twins so thats a combined 100amp output. BEP setup along with a 4d or 8d house battery just for the AC may give me 5 or 6 hours of run time?

Idea #2 Dewalt 1800 Watt Power Station http://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/chargers/1800-watt-portable-power-station-and-parallel-battery-charger/dcb1800b

I haven't been able to figure out the math on it 100%, maybe someone else can. You can have 4 60volt 9aH batteries in it for maximum use. I've watched a few youtube videos where people are running refrigerators off of this for anywhere from 4 to 14 hours. Plus the ability to bring additional batteries along to switch out. Then plug it back in to shore power and charge everything back up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm 

fannin wrote:
Looking into adding AC to my 2530 in the future and was looking at different options. Im thinking inverter and battery may be the best bet for me too. I have twins so thats a combined 100amp output. BEP setup along with a 4d or 8d house battery just for the AC may give me 5 or 6 hours of run time?

Idea #2 Dewalt 1800 Watt Power Station http://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/chargers/1800-watt-portable-power-station-and-parallel-battery-charger/dcb1800b

I haven't been able to figure out the math on it 100%, maybe someone else can. You can have 4 60volt 9aH batteries in it for maximum use. I've watched a few youtube videos where people are running refrigerators off of this for anywhere from 4 to 14 hours. Plus the ability to bring additional batteries along to switch out. Then plug it back in to shore power and charge everything back up.

First of all, just to confirm that this is a concept that works with the engines running only. You can run off of the 4D battery with no motor running but not for a long period of time(maybe an hour?). If you want to overnight with AC you will need to go generator or be willing to run both engines at about 2K RPM to get through the night.
Secondly, I didn’t study the Dewalt spec to closely but I think it said 22lb shipping weight? Due to that and quick look specs tells me that the high power it says it can provide will be very short lived and not work for long duration draw. I would scratch that concept.
So, if you are looking for AC while underway without a generator the invertior and a good 4D AGM like I used will definitely work for you as you have the advantage of twins. My unit needs about 53 Amps DC break even. Remember, if your alt output is 45 for example, about 25 to 30 is available for charging/inverter use. With twins, that should be better depending on set up etc... but you should be in good shape as long as you don’t put to big a unit in.
Lastly, the battery charger and being able to connect to shore power after using the system is key to making it all work.
Inverter can’t be exposed to fuel tank, DC cables to inverter can’t be very long runs which is why I mounted mine in the jump seat. Lots more....hopefully a start for you. Mine works great but just wanted to be clear on the niche that it works for. Happy to assist if you have additional questions. Good luck

"Cat's Cradle"