2530 PlasTEAK Cabin Teak Floor Install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParkerJr

Reaction score
So I got extremely tired of the ice skating ring that has been present everytime the cabin floor gets wet. Came up with an idea of putting fake teak in the walkway inside the cabin between the pilothouse door and berth door. Figured this would be a good way to keep the floor protected and cleaner inside, as well as keep it safe from people falling hard on the floor. ( and believe me it happens all the time).

After getting quotes from a professional service that were in the $1000 dollar range I decided to tackle this myself and just purchase the materials. After talking with a rep from Plasteak I ordered a 6'X7' roll of the teak and onyx flooring. This veneer or plastic flooring is the same thing used in all the galleys and stairways of most big name sport fishing boats. After about half a day wednesday working on a template I came up with this.

After the template was made and trimmed in. I marked it out on the sheet of plasteak with a straight edge and angle square with a sharpie. Surprisingly the flooring cut vey easily with a sharp razor blade. I think the new sharp blades make a huge difference in the accurracy of the cuts. Its hard enough for me to draw a straight line not to mention cutting on one.

Yesterday I made the final cuts on the plasteak sheet and installed the floor. It tucked up underneath the teak trim for the helm bulkhead and berth door nicely. Parker is very weird as nothing is straight or plum on this boat. Seems like everything has some kind of taper and there are no true 90 degree angles inside. I guess its ok, Just makes it harder to match anything up when installing something or drilling holes. I tried to make it fit the best I could. It really gives the boat a more high end luxurious look. There is a grainy/rough feel to it too which will really help with your footing when it gets wet.

Between the total cost in materials which was around $400, The lack of proffesionalism and craftsmanship for this type of thing and my shear impatience, Im really thrilled with the way it came out. I really havent got a clue what im doing when it comes to finishwork but I tried. Also I didnt bother glueing this thing down since it lays flat, is bordered on all sides by a wall and there are no imperfections in the floor. The MFG really wanted me to glue it but insisted that it wasnt necessary in my application. I will be sure to let you all know how well it holds up.

Attachments

• Template.JPG
    Template.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Floor 3.JPG
    Floor 3.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,941
  • Floor 2.JPG
    Floor 2.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Floor.JPG
    Floor.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,940
Nice!!!!

I thought about doing the same thing, but I use a rug instead so I can shake out the dirt and fish scales.

Outstanding work!

I did something similar on mine (for the same reason), but in my case I used indoor/outdoor carpet.
You are correct that hand-laid hulls are not dimensionally perfect, but with care, a proper template can be created.

I really like the look of that product. 8)

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Looking to do the berth floor with the left over material I have. I cant really think where else I can put this stuff. Ive just been working on the boat a lot and havent had a chance to use it at all. The look of it is really growing on me though. Im really all around pleased with the way it turned out.

I think it look's sharp and adds a lot. :)

I have a suggestion for anyone that needs to make a pattern such as this.

You use wood lattace. 1/8in or 3/16in thick X 1 1/2in or 2in wide.

They are straight and easy to cut. You lay the pieces around the premeter and glue them together with a hot glue gun.

This is how the guys do it to make custom shaped cultered marble counter tops, like around a whirlpool tub.

Looks awesome. We use an old section of indoor/outdoor carpet, but yours looks a lot better!

If you want a more "finished" look you could try some small 1/4 round molding glued in at the outside edges. Probably doesn't need it, but butted joints never look right when I do them without molding over the top to hide the mistakes. :)

What does anyone think about installing this in the rear deck? would it be hot on a bare foot? sure would look nice!

looks fantastic.

i saw that stuff at the boat show in Tampa a while back and was very impressed with it. i was about ready to pull the trigger but my wife wasn't completely onboard with it, so i never got around to it. i think the 34 parker comes standard with it. your pics have renewed my interest..........and maybe my wife's as well.

Looks great!! I totally agree with the floor when wet is an Ice skating ring---- you did the right thing for sure---looks awesome!!!!!

Thanks for thinking outside the box and giving me some ideas!!

I used the indoor stuff. I would definatley look into the cool teak stuff if I was doing an outside application.

I thought the indoor stuff is the 1/8 thick vinyl and the outdoor is the plank type stuff that imitates wood ?

Back