Chair replacement project (attempt #2)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smittles1179

Reaction score
Ok, I'm bored waiting for the snow to melt. I think we remember my last attempt at a helm chair replacement. Here are a couple pictures of my current chair replacement. Thoughts?

Attachments

• chair2.jpg
    chair2.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 576
  • chair3.jpg
    chair3.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 576
Never seen a Kirkey outside of a race car, but it certainly is cool. :D

It looks awfully stiff--needs sea-suspension or some kind of cushion. The helm chair location is almost exactly where the hull meets the waves. You don't want to transfer 100% of that energy to your spine...

Nice, we’re going to start calling you Mr. Moneybags...I did entertained the thought of going to the junk yard and look for a luxury late model wrecker that has a small leather bucket seat loaded with all the goodies. It would be nice to set the autopilot, recline back, turn on the seat heater (and massager?) on the way in from the fishing grounds..

Pnltbox":1hjo01hj said:
This is what switched over to, So much more comfortable. Mid row Caravan, leather, Fully adjustable. Hope the picture works.

Awesome! I've been contemplating this myself as the $900 helm chair is just not reasonable to me, and Parkers factory seat just isnt comfortable for the all day trips. Would you be kind enough, the next time you are on the boat, to shoot a photo of where the seat attaches to the pedestal? I would really like to do this, but I'm huge with do diligence before setting off on a project. Again, what an upgrade!

I will do that, It took a little cutting and a little welding , And yes, $800-$900 for a seat is outrageous! I bought 2 seats for $100.00, My Friend who has a SeaSport liked it so much he put 1 in his.

Here are a few pics I took tonight , started with cutting all the seat mounts flush with the rear bar, used 1/8 steel plate, cut that to fit and to clearance around the slide mechanism and springs , drilled and attached the seat mount, then welded it on. I am a BIG guy and its holding up really well.

Attachments

• DSC04579.JPG
    DSC04579.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC04580.JPG
    DSC04580.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC04581.JPG
    DSC04581.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 395
Nice, I like it. That's why pilothouses are so much more boat than a CC or even a walkaround. You can use mass-produced "non-marinized" products at a fraction of the cost. Keep a close eye on that round collar. That looks to be the weakest link since it is made of cast aluminum. The larger chair can have a lot of leverage if you launch off a wave and land the wrong way. I was thinking of making a storage cabinet base to hold the chair--but weight might be an issue.

Back