Upgrades, Mods, and Accessories 101

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. New Parker owner here. I have a slew of questions for ya'll, but will start with some easy ones. I have a 2120SL and was wondering if there were and standard or common recommendations for upgrades, mods, and accessories for a new owner. I haven't owned a boat since high school, so I have a lot to catch up on. We did pick up rocket launchers, combing pads, and a nav, but wondering what others found beneficial. I'm thinking in terms of cabin mats, lighting, speakers, cleaning gear, console bobble head figurines, etc :p. And if it matters, our use will be primarily recreational (fishing with family and friends, touring around Cape Ann, but also pulling a lobster pot here and there too). Thanks for the tips and advice in advance!

Mark

Bobbys project thread is a 'must read', and will entertain you for hours.
Keep a note pad handy. :wink:

Browsing the rest of the Projects thread will also provide hours of entertainment.
Keep a note pad handy. :)

Noticing a common theme here?
We call the Projects thread the "Parker Owners Maintenance and Upgrade Manual". :D

Some items to key in on...

Safety -
Take a look at what people carry related to PFD's, pyrotechnics, and auxiliary safety items beyond what is required by the Coast Guard.
If you read the threads here, you will no doubt see things you probably never even thought about.

For example... Our boats come from the factory with a single aft bilge pump.
Consider upgrading the capacity of the primary pump and add a second, backup pump.
When working on the pumps, consider replacing the float switch(es) with solid state switches.

Storage is always a concern, as we always want to carry different 'stuff', and more of it.
Again, the Projects area is your friend.

Upgrades -
Probably the #1 upgrade our members make is to the trim tabs.
The factory typically installs 12x12 tabs which are fine for keeping the lesser skilled mariner from getting themselves in trouble, but they are not optimum.
You will find that the Parker owners here are generally more skilled in seamanship, and always strive for increased performance from their boats.
Upgraded (larger) trim tabs will give you performance gains that will make an experienced mariner smile the first time out.
Read up in the "OBs, Props, Power, Tabs, & Trailers" section for more on upgrading your tabs (and more).

If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.
Finally, after you have exhausted the older posts, each time you log in, look up there in the upper right corner and click on the "View new posts" link.
That will keep you up to date on the latest goings on in CP land. 8)

Welcome aboard!

Re bed all top and deck penetrations. There is plywood and balsa core under there.

Keep up on the aluminum diamond sea glaze windows. They will corrode.

Watch any wiring where connections have been made. Parker used automotive style connectors.

The 2120 tends to be bow heavy. If not already, don't paint the waterline till you float test the boat.

Get a seaspension seat post. They pound a little although the 2120 rides best of all the pilot house parkers.

Put a section of pipe insulation on top of the door going into the house. You will hit your head.

Replace all plastic through hull penetrations above the waterline if any.

Scrub the deck with bar keepers friend.

Hope that helps.

Back