couple fiberglass questions (re-corring) help a noob out!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainsauls

Reaction score
Hello all, again, haha :wink:

If you've read any of the other 2 threads you'll be well aware that I'm trying my hardest to go broke working on this thing...

Anyways down to business... To follow suit with the rest of the boat the previous owner decided to never seal anything and drill as many holes as possible! So as you can guess the roof core is almost non existent. I was looking at a previous restorations completed by "Kidfreediver" (sorry I stole your picture but I needed it for reference. If it bothers you please let me know and I will remove it immediately)

I understand cutting out all the rotted coring material. My questions are
1. when placing the new core material in place is it necessary to bed this core in thickened epoxy or just wet the area out then lay the new core in?

2. do you use thickened epoxy to join the new core to the old core? like put thickened epoxy between the old ply wood and the new patch?

3. did you use some 1708 or just basic chop strand mat?

4. do you want to help do mine? (JK :p )

thanks for all the help fellas. I am glad I found this place. Once I get home off of my work boat I'll start a build thread and take as many pictures as I can. All help is appreciated. See the pic below for reference as to what I am trying to accomplish.

Okay Sorry spending a little time away. Just had a new born. Panama City is a little far from California but I can help. Pictures of the issue?

Thanks man! I'll post pictures as soon as I get home. (I have 2 more weeks left at work) basically the entire core needs to be replaced. The old skin is cracked and work and will be unusable.

Captainsauls":3ntqst5o said:
50 views and not a single opinion

Understand your frustration but there's not a short simple answer. It's kind of like saying "I just moved to Richmond VA. Tell me what I need to know to catch a 75 pound blue cat in the James River." there are books out there that answer your question. But it's book length, not a paragraph.

1801Steve":y6pou8un said:
Captainsauls":y6pou8un said:
50 views and not a single opinion

Understand your frustration but there's not a short simple answer. It's kind of like saying "I just moved to Richmond VA. Tell me what I need to know to catch a 75 pound blue cat in the James River." there are books out there that answer your question. But it's book length, not a paragraph.

Totally understand that 1801steve. I've read the dang Wessytems book at least 25 times. I am ordering another book on Amazon as we speak. Do you recommend one?

kidfreediver":1nry9vxx said:
I'm just counting the days until he arrives back into port for some visuals on the problem area

been home over a week now. My wife decided to plane huge Halloween blow out...

Which included me spreading 65 tons of gravel for a parking lot in the back of our property. Then my mechanic dropped the ball and can't sea trial with me until next week. So basically no boat cutting until wednesday. I promise I'll post the pics as soon as I get everything squared away around the house. When your gone for a month or two at the time, the "honey do" list really gets long lol.

I'll update ASAP. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Going sea trial with mechanics today! Hopefully I can start cutting tomorrow. I'll post up some pics from today to spark some more interest.

Well today finished up with the mechanics. Got some serious speed gains out of her. New cruise speed is 25-26kts turning 3400
30kts at 3900 WOT

I popped a few pics today. At the urging of my mechanic I am going to start on the deck first. He wants to get the engine out and clean / paint it and replace a few wear parts while things are slow. Sooooo tomorrow morning we pull the gen and start cutting the deck off! I'll post pics as I go. See below to keep ya interested.
8650fef18018251aee7f8b69eca7740d.jpg
28933776aa223a90bdf040c600bf3909.jpg
cecb1febfb206a8c5ff7b36f375f603b.jpg
d67259efa64ae79f6370ccc8973b3bc0.jpg
51250b897a8891ef79e619a665b74273.jpg

Well this morning we moved the boat to the "parking lot" as my wife calls it in the back of my property. With a little help from a friend and a cooler of budweisers we got after it.
65c6c0e26fcccade98d3fb28b428aa7f.jpg
94a2621993ce494c711b521dc1130ff7.jpg
5397891340d288658cec3dc38ac7e4c2.jpg

Then it was time to start cutting the deck. I manned up got my skill saw and got after it!
dc703af8c29f071566e8319a0e637a66.jpg
768470d1482d1dd64d2f06a566a2e5ab.jpg
9140cdb1d9c5a0f0b70b25c9306952be.jpg

We had a trailer load of sh** when we got done. I've never seen a deck that was nailed down! Not screwed, nailed! Half the deck was rotten. The rest was in pretty good shape. I decided to take all the deck out and check all the stringers, thus far I only have 1 bad stringer. Most of the bottoms of the deck were not glassed.

d0f1a002d062450d1c4a7330ae454bdb.jpg

Tomorrow we will start removing foam and wiring, as well as try to make a plan for the fuel tank removal.

Please comment if you see something I should do!!!

Just remember that if removing a stringer......to support it so that the hull doesn't twist or move when youhave removed part of its skeleton.

kidfreediver":2dccxwpw said:
Just remember that if removing a stringer......to support it so that the hull doesn't twist or move when youhave removed part of its skeleton.

I don't believe I am qualified enough to replace the stringer alone. I have spoke with a local fiberglass shop who will be replacing the stringer. I'm meeting with him as soon as I can get he foam out so he can inspect. I'll try to keep the thread up to date with pics of the progress until I go back to work.

Captainsauls,

Just came across your thread and was seeing if you're still working on your boat. I'm out on the beach, shoot me a PM if you guys need an extra hand!

Cheers,
Brandon

Captainsauls":kthis3lg said:
I've never seen a deck that was nailed down! Not screwed, nailed!

Not sure if the factory still does it, but the older boats were fastened with ring nails which (you may have noticed during the deconstruction), grip better than screws.
What year is your hull? In the early years, the under deck area was not glassed. Today it is. Lessons learned and improvements made.

The previous owner of my boat did not seal the rocket launcher when he installed it.
It took almost 15 years but the balsa core in the area of the bolt holes rotted, and I repaired it.
Look in the project area for one of my 'spring commissioning' threads where I detailed the fix.

Sounds like your damage is more extensive than mine, but there might be something there you can use (like the new backing plates).

wow guys it has been a while since I updated this thread. I hope everyone is still willing to chime in from time to time. I was all gung ho on this project, then it happened....
My career almost fell apart! The price of oil bottomed out and I stopped all forward momentum to save some cash. Luckily I wasn't laid off and things are starting to improve.

You know what that means? TIME TO FINISH THE BOOOOAAAAATTTT! summer without my own boat sucked to say the least.

So current update:
I had the engine pulled about a while back. I have the deck currently cut off. I head back home on tuesday for about a month. I've got a lot of work to do at my little hunting property as the season is approaching, but I intend to at a minimum get ALL the foam out and hopefully pull the tank out soon.

New considerations:

Considering going back with 2 45 gallon tanks vs. the 1 95 gallon tank. If i wasn't going far offshore or had a boat load of people for a cruise i could just fill 1 tank thus reducing the vessels weight, and shift some weight forward. I wonder if cutting out 425lbs would help her get up quicker?

foam..... I am strongly considering not putting the foam back under the deck. I'm well aware that the foam is for flotation.... I also know it adds weight. My personal experience as a professional mariner tells me that if all I have left is the foam, it was time to get in the life raft long ago and hold on tight to the EPIRB. What do y'all think? Am I missing another crucial purpose of this foam?

third I have decided to convert my door to a slider. I've read numerous threads on this. I can't find what I am looking for though. There is a dealer somewhere in california that offers the door already converted to a slider.... kicker is you have to buy a new boat to get it.... Anyone done or seen this before?

Hope I can actually get a move on this time home!

thanks for being patient!

Back