I DID IT! NO MORE WINDOW WATER SPOTS!!!!!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimC2520

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got the combo that works. My original 1999, 2520 has so many water spots on all of the windows, visibility was TERRIBLE!
I tried everything, nothing would cut through the stuff. Well, Shurhold Buff Magic and bronze wool did the trick. The pics are good, but do not do the job justice. The area I cleaned is so clean, it is like the glass isn't even there. Amazing. Only down side is it took me 30 minutes in the hot sun to do just a small section and my arm is sore. I even tried it on a small section of the rear plexi windows and it worked there also. I have to pick up a small, orbital buffer that can spin something similar in aggressiveness to bronze wool. Any suggestions?

Before....

After...

Just a heads up, the bag of wool says "Ultra Fine - Polishing Grade". I had to lay into it heavily before it came off, and definitely does not scratch.
If you look closely at the pic where the starboard windshield is visible, you can see the water spots on the windshield. That's what the window that I cleaned looked like before I started.

I have to give you the crown for that. For 10 years I tried, couldn't do it. I just leave the Capt window open. Even in Dec. fishing. My head would get like I ice block. Good work !!!

Hi Tim,

Just did the same job here is what I found after 10 years. I also have tried everything including the buff magic on my Surhold buffer with the bronze wool pad that goes on the buffer. I found it to be very very slow as you stated this is with the machine. This year I used 3M compound & finishing material it comes in a blue bottle expensive I used it on my hull & topsides with results that my boat will give " Megabyte " a run for the money. I could never in all the years I detailed my boat get that show room look.

So now too the windows took a new wool buffer pad on my Surehold buffer with the 3m stuff and did the windows they look great it takes some time but not as bad as you experienced hope this helps.

" Bean "

TimC2520":3k7ganst said:
Thanks, I just ordered that 3" buffer above and some pads...

I think that you find it much easier than the manual method. :D

BTW - The Buff Magic can still be used with those pads.
The Griots product they sell for polishing glass is essentially the same thing.

Can I get that a west marine? I ordered it on Amazon. Did you use fine or med. for the wool bronze?

Marty, the bag of bronze wool I used says "Ultra Fine - Polishing Grade".
I just included it with the order of Buff Magic since I was already paying for shipping that anyway.
I am not sure if West Marine would have it but I would guess so.

TimC2520":1zhjyzdq said:
Marty, the bag of bronze wool I used says "Ultra Fine - Polishing Grade".
I just included it with the order of Buff Magic since I was already paying for shipping that anyway.
I am not sure if West Marine would have it but I would guess so.
Did the job yesterday and it came out about 80 percent. It's a lot of work. I only have one hand so it's hard for me. I also made the mistake of wetting the window first. I will try again as soon as my wrist gets better.

TimC2520":1bi7fu03 said:
Good job. I am going to do a little bit at a time. Even with the machine it's alot of work. I think because I let it get so bad. The finished product is worth it though.
Did you wet the window first? I went out last night fishing and I didn't have to open the window to see. That's the first in many years.

TimC2520":3948t3gy said:
Nope, did not wet it first.
My wife wants to use it now for our bathroom shower glass. Should be ok to use without scratching ?

TimC2520":2qgvnamt said:
I would think so. I would try Mr. Clean's magic eraser on a shower door first though. Actually, I wonder if they'd work on boat windows? :eek:
Mr clean eraser works!! The boat next to be does his seats with it, it put a hole in the seat.

Bean and Megabyte.....I am half way done now. Gusting to 30 today so I decided to spend another day on the windows.
The glass polishing pads that I bought with the Griot's 3" buffer really wasn't cutting through this stuff. I had to go back to the bronze wool by hand.
Do you know if they sell a 3" velcro pad a bit more aggressive than the glass polishing pad? I don't see anything on their website.

Port side window not done yet (look at the area of glass below the bow rail)

Starboard side done (by hand)

I would try a wad of bronze wool under the Griots glass polishing pad.
Or... call Griots and tell them what you are after. I bet they have a solution.

Back