Question about addition of second station

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBPeddocks

Reaction score
Hi guys just a question about controls on adding a second station for a 1998 2320. I want to add a bulkhead mounted second station, the inside controls is a single throttle/shifter type. If I add a second station can the second controls also be a single throttle/shifter or do I have to change both to the dual controls (separate throttle and shifter). Thanks, asking because I was told by a boat yard that I had to change to the dual controls for both stations if second station added. The motor is a Yamaha 1998 Ox66 225hp. Thanks Tom

The answer is Yes and NO.

What you have in there now is probeally a Yamaha 704 control and that will not work.

If you want to keep single controls Get Ready! They ain't cheap. and are actually the Biggest expense of what you want to do.

They are Fly-By-Wire. Or you can install a Morse style twin stick and have the whole thing cable controlled...When you move one stick it will move the one at the other station at the same time.
The danger there is someone hanging at the other station and bumping it.

Fly-By-Wire does not move the control at the other station...No danger. You have a station Select.....That is the station that sends command to the main control unit.

Yamaha does have a setup that does this....Will it adpt to your motor? Not sure....It may not.

These things are getting cheaper as time goes on and since I've done it....When I did it to my Mako for dual stations and twin motors it was $5000.

I also have an OX66 on my boat and went with the twin Morse controls and Teleflex X-treme cables when I did my rear station.

Attachments

• 17 May 008.jpg
    17 May 008.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 476
I just added a 2nd freestanding station over the winter that I purchased years ago. I waited to add it until I did a repower with an F300 with fly-by-wire controls for simplicity and as Warthog stated, the controls were by far the most expensive component. In fact, the controls for a second station are almost 2x of the master helm controls. Apparently, you cannot just simply use two of the helm controls (thanks, Yamaha :roll: ). I believe the second station controls were ~$3K alone. Although the controls were pricey, it's the best upgrade I've done to my Parker - gives you the ability to manage docking like a center console with being able to grab a line or hold a head pole while you swing.
I am not aware of the ability of the Yamaha fly-by-wire digital controls to be reverse compatible with their mechanical systems.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 466
Just looked up what I paid (2016) on the invoice for Yamaha digital controls and key set (emergency kill switch, station selector, start stop switches):
2ND STATION DEC CONTROL $2,315.00
2ND STATION KEY SET $660.00

Here's the price of the main helm digital controls:
MAIN DEC CONTROL $1,025.00

Jpg1969 did the $2315 include the control box, station selector, start/stop, and kill switch?

I ordered mine from SIMyamaha and they sent the control box but not the other components. Part number On box isn't matching order part number either. I hoping to get this sorted out with SIMyamaha tomorrow.

I also ordered the longer primary and secondary wire harnesses, and the station selector button for the main (lower) station. That came as expected.

Never mind jpg1969. I just re-read your post and see that, like me, $2,300 only gets you the control box. I had a brain block...couldn't fathom that for TWICE the price that's all you got. I assume it had to be a kit that included those other three components. WOW,just wow. not liking Yamaha right now and I'm missing my old boat with Morse controls.

I also had that moment of sticker shock for the price for the controls/key set. Twice the cost is a bit ridic. That aside, you will love the 2nd station and the smoothness of the fly by wire controls. Good luck.

There is a mechanical paired kit that uses a single shift throttle mechanism. It is the kobelt 2091 and 2093. I installed it myself and it was really cool once finished. Beautifully designed. ~2k all in.

The motor is a Yamaha 1998 Ox66 225hp.

You have to find a unit that is compatible with that motor. The Yamaha Fly-By-Wire stuff is not.

So your looking at aftermarket ........Or You move to dual sticks at both stations.

Back