SIPHONING FUEL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inTherapy

Reaction score
Yep, it's that time of year here. A couple years ago i did the fuel pump method of getting a bit of gas out of my tank. This year I wan to stick a hose thru the filler neck/hose, use a primer ball and suck out like 20 gallons. Does any body know if Parker put some obstruction somewhere in there to prevent a 5/16 or 3/8 fuel hose from being pushed to the bottom of the tank thru the filler? Thanks

There is a 90 degree elbow fitting where the line meets the tank. It will be tough getting past that.

I pull the fuel sending unit, and siphon using an extra large primer bulb I got off amazon, 4 gallons per minute. Moeller sells sending unit gasket kit, if you want to replace it. I try to refrain from reusing any kind of gasket. This will allow you look at the internal condition of the tank as well. Just make sure you well ventilated, and disconnect the batterires.

cutch9138":cy2jak9k said:
There is a 90 degree elbow fitting where the line meets the tank. It will be tough getting past that.

I pull the fuel sending unit, and siphon using an extra large primer bulb I got off amazon, 4 gallons per minute. Moeller sells sending unit gasket kit, if you want to replace it. I try to refrain from reusing any kind of gasket. This will allow you look at the internal condition of the tank as well. Just make sure you well ventilated, and disconnect the batterires.

thanks

You can also siphon from the fuel line. Just disconnect it from the fuel water separator, add some extra hose and run the hose out your drain plug to get it below the tank pickup.

"You can also siphon from the fuel line. Just disconnect it from the fuel water separator, add some extra hose and run the hose out your drain plug to get it below the tank pickup."

You might not be able to do this on newer boats. Most have an anti-siphon valve at the fuel pick-Up atop the tank for "SAFETY"....so your tank won't drain out by accident.

"You can also siphon from the fuel line. Just disconnect it from the fuel water separator, add some extra hose and run the hose out your drain plug to get it below the tank pickup."

You might not be able to do this on newer boats. Most have an anti-siphon valve at the fuel pick-Up atop the tank for "SAFETY"....so your tank won't drain out by accident.

Pretty much all boats in existence have had a anti siphon valve installed.

You can suck fuel thru it.....If it's operating correctly. [Some Don't] Mine are removed.

Think about it..... A fuel pump on the motor sucks fuel thru it.

The anti siphon valves purpose is to open when suction is applied from the pump. If suction is lost (aka-broken fuel line) the spring pressure closes the valve so no fuel can be funneled from the tank.

If your wanting to remove water or whatever else out of your tank, you need to remove the fuel fromthe lowest point of the tank. The fuel pick up tube from the tank to the motor does not do this. It sits up off the bottom if the tank. So in theory, you could be siphoning good gas, but still have water in the bottom of the tank. This is why I suggest to remove the sending unit, but if your not wanting to get an adequate sample, and your just wanting to siphon the gas. Then by all means remove the hose from the intake side of the 10 micron filter and suck the fuel out.

Back