repainting the non skid

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIsound

Reaction score
I have a 23 Parker CCDV that I will be putting up for sale in the next 2 weeks but I'd like to repaint the non skid deck before i do.
I've searched around here but not sure where to begin. Looks like a fairly easy job. I don't have any gel coat work to do, so it's just the paint.
Any idea on product to use and color match to the off white parker color.

thanks

Just this past weekend a friend of mine just redid his nonskid in his Privateer. He used the Interlux Interdeck polyurethane paint and said he was happy with the results. He said it wasn't as aggressive a surface as some others but you definitely won't slip on it. He compared it to 100 grit sandpaper. I was there when he was getting started but had to leave so I didn't get to see it at completion.. As far as matching the Parker color I can't help you there. He was using Gray and I'm not sure what other colors it is available in. Hope this helps.

Jamestown Distributors had a non-skid product with good reviews. You should be able to use their white them mix some color like beige to get close. I am going to sand, prime then apply on my classic parker but I am not ready yet to start.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I used KiwiGrip with great results. It looks good, lasts a while, and you can determine the aggressiveness of the grip by your technique. I will continue to use this product regularly and anyone can do it, just follow the instruction and be sure to prep the service properly.

If you think matching gel coat is as simple as starting with white and adding some beige or brown, good luck. I tried this one time and it is near impossible to match. You should use original Parker gel coat. I also agree you should stay with gel coat and not go the paint route. Sand the deck with 80 grit on an orbital sander and cut it down to clean gel coat. Vacuum and wipe it well with acetone. Use some 1" painters tape around the edges. You will probably need a gallon (~$275) and a can of griptex in course and fine grits. Combine a 50/50 mixture of the 2 courses together. I think I used about 1/3 quart of each course to a gallon of gelcoat. Use a high grade non-foam roller to apply. You may want to do a small test on a piece of smooth plywood to gauge the texture.

Gelcoat is that easy to match. Buy at tap plastic and they have the pigment there. Good thing about gelcoat it doesn't fade or darken when it dries. Put the gelcoat on the boat to see if it matches. Mix a little at a time until the gelcoat disappears into your original color then you know you have it right. That gallon of gelcoat is way to expensive. $80 at tap with a little pigment good to go. Have any questions don't hurt to ask a simple project but take time to make it look nice.

i did mine with KiwiGrip going on 2 years now still looks good easy to put on and clean

I re coated my decks 4 years ago with Kiwi Grip and fished her hard 9 months a year (Florida and OC Md) I don't think that you can find a easier and cheaper product that requires nothing more than a textured roller and painters tape to apply . It has held up amazingly well !!!!!!! I will not hesitate to use again.
Ps. 2nd option for the top of gunwales would be to add the non-skid grit to Petit top sides epoxy #3108 or #3208 pending you gel coat color. With this again it requires minimal work, a little sanding to scuff up ,taping and painting. The hardest part is picking the color and deciding how much of the topside to do.
Good Luck :D

Jamestown has the best prices on all above

As I mentioned earlier, I like KiwiGrip and will continue to use it. I wanted to say though, many boats actually use a different color deck than the actual boat color and it looks nice, you don't have to match the gelcoat to make it look good. In fact, many new Parkers are white (or whatever color you choose) and their decks are a light gray right from the factory. Look on their site and view the gallery.

What I like about KIWI product is, you can have professional looking results by doing it yourself if you follow their easy instructions completely. The most important thing is to make sure the surface is clean (and scuffed up). Also, once the product is install and you need to redo it (5+ years down the road), you just need to clean it, no sanding or scuffing because the product adheres great to itself. It's just much easier than gelcoating in my opinion. Now if you are skilled and have a lot of time, there is no doubt the gel-coat looks very nice too.

I did all the nonskid on my Parker 2830 with Parker gelcoat in "grip tex". Came out PERFECT. I couldn't imagine anything else looking any better. Call Central Marine in st. Pete Florida: they have the best price on a quart (all you'll need), and they'll ship it to you.
Also, I would HIGHLY recommend adding "durateck" to your gelcoat. It'll be hard as a rock.

Installed a new fuel tank and had the deck redone, glassed and gelcoat applied a few years back. After fishing and the wear and tear of doing so I wanted to clean it up again. I used Jamestown Distributors Total Boat. It was very easy to apply and looks great. Sanded, wiped down with acetone, primed and then two coats. Two day project. I have a picture but not sure how to post it.

How much total coat did it take for two coats. I am doing a 21se. I am thinking gallon of primer and gallon of non skid.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

On my 2520 I put two coats down and used about 3/4 of a gallon, maybe a little less. I am not sure if a quart will do two coats on your 21'.

pics

Attachments

• Deck 1.JPG
    Deck 1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 733
  • Deck 2.JPG
    Deck 2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 730
No the deck did not fail but it had a couple soft spots from the inspection ports not being properly sealed. The previous owner had a rubber spray in liner on the deck which I did not like. The fuel tank was also pitted probably from the water not being kept out. There are a few here on this site that have installed solar fans on their ports to ventilate the fuel tank and bilge areas. Looks like a great idea when the boat is not being used. I am not sure if they leave them in all of the time while using the boat as they look like they stick up an inch or two. Megabyte may be one who has them.

Back