Megabyte spring commissioning 2017

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
Weather here was nice while I was in Florida.
Not so nice since I came home. :(

Today was a good weather day, and I was able to fit some work on the old girl into my schedule. :)

First order of business was to remove the blue tarp was was long perished due to weather and wind.
I might go back to shrink wrap next year. :(

Got the cover off and assessed the work ahead.
#1, The cockpit is filthy, but nothing that can't be fixed with soap, bleach, water, and lots of hard work.

#2, The monkey fur carpet hasn't been really cleaned (except for vacuuming) in 21 years.
I'm fixing that this year.

First order of business, get everything out of the pilot house and cover the helm in plastic bags.
Once that was done, I mixed Oxi-Clean, bleach, and water in a 1 gallon pump sprayer.

Took a garden hose and soaked down the v-berth area.
Then I laid down an ultra heavy coating of my cleaning solution.
1 beer later, I started rinsing. Holy crap! :shock:
The monkey fur had gathered a bit of dirt in the last 20 years. :oops:

Spent the rest of the day cleaning, cleaning cleaning... I have to say... it isn't perfect, but it looks damm good. :)

Tomorrow I will start on the exterior of the pilothouse and the cockpit.
Tonight, I'm cleaning all of the stuff that was inside. It's easier to do in my driveway at home. :wink:

Bleach and water are my friends in the spring, but my back is killing me tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 759
  • IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 760
  • IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 760
  • IMG_3590.jpg
    IMG_3590.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 760
  • IMG_3603.jpg
    IMG_3603.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 760
Still a rose between two thorns...
A Doral to Starboard, and a Topaz to Port.
Neither boat has moved in many years. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3602.jpg
    IMG_3602.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 752
Looks like you have some cleaning to do indeed. Glad to hear that the cabin liner turned out well for you. I'm assuming you didn't use that vac on the liner. I was afraid to use one as I didn't want to risk any delamination of the liner. Just let it air dry after a good rinse. Good luck with the rest of the clean up.

No sir. The monkey fur is drying naturally in the breeze and low humidity. :)

Always good to get started in the Spring, she will be like a boat with the cleaned V-berth. Any other projects? Take care

johnkn":ip4b1hc3 said:
Any other projects?

Just the basics for now.
Scrub her down, get a good coat of wax on her, then bottom paint.

I do have a new fuel computer that I installed right before the end of the season last year that I need to figure out.

Glad to see the old girl coming out of "hibernation". Cleaning the carpet in the cuddy is on my list too........once I get her back together. Lol. Hoping to get the motor back on and the transom completely sealed up this weekend. Keep up the good work sir!

Level 1 decon is complete.
The carpet dried quicker than I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 675
  • IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 675
  • IMG_3607.jpg
    IMG_3607.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 675
  • IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 676
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 676
Use caution around that bilge hatch aft.
I had mine raised and my toes were just inside the danger zone when it decided to fall. :shock:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 669
Nice work there Megabyte, the carpet looks like it came out good! BTW, sorry about the toe injury, you need to keep a better eye out for them, they can't take much more of that!

That's the Megabyte we are used to seeing. Nice progress. FYI - those few black spots in the liner are why I ended up using a bleach and water solution along with the Oxyclean. The Oxy seems to do a better job on stains, especially the rust ones but the mold spots seemed to react better to the bleach and water. I will tell you that I was concerned about the bleach breaking down the glue and old carpet fabric though. Not letting the bleach mixture set on the liner longer than necessary and good rinse are key. Time will tell for me if it didn't do any damage but so far mine still looks good and it's still staying put. Yours looks good and I'm sure much better than it did. Good luck with the rest!

I actually mixed some bleach in with the oxy-clean and water mixture.
I should have taken a photo of the Type 4 throwable before I cleaned it. It was black with mold. :shock:

The carpet behind it still needs some touch-up, but that will wait for a warmer day.
I have a spray bottle that I mix 75/25 bleach/water for those kind of touch-ups (especially under the washboards).
Little cool to be working on her today, so I'm going through some of my gear at home today.

First up is sorting through my ditch/emergency equipment bag.
New batteries in flashlights, strobes, handheld GPS, checking dates on my pyrotechnics, charging up the charge-ables... that sort of stuff.

Oh... there may have been a few out-of-frame. :D

Progress being held up right now due to pollen and temperature.
Even at 60 degrees, it's damm chilly when the wind blows off the ocean. :(

She is getting closer...
A few details to finish, then to have the motor serviced.

Attachments

• image0000001-2.jpg
    image0000001-2.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 486
The good news: She is finally ready to launch.
The bad news: 90% chance of rain and thunderstorms for the next 4 days. :(

No I won't melt, but I'd prefer not to re-attach all of my slip lines in the rain while dodging lightning.
According to the current forecast, this coming Friday might be my best bet.

Some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3775.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 412
  • IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 412
  • IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 412
  • IMG_3786.jpg