Leaking deck to Hull joint 2005 parker 2530

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMD

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a leaking deck to hull joint on my 05 2530. It leaks around the side window areas in the front birth. Its been doing it for 2 or 3 years and at first I assumed it was coming in the window seals but now I confirmed that its not. It leaks very slightly and only in rougher conditions. It leaks just enough to be annoying and leave salt deposits on the carpet etc.. I noticed looking under the black rubrail where the seal is and I can see the slight cracks in it. the bolts and fasteners holding the deck to hull appear fine. My question to you guys is how would you guys go about fixing this and what sealant do you recommend. Also please fill me in on how this is done at the factory (Im assuming they set the deck on a bed of sealant and the seal the outside once the bolts are tight. I am fully not planning on pulling off the rub rail and removing all the fasteners. I can see the entire seal under the rubrail. Im wondering if I can remove some of the exposed sealant and then reseal. Also what sealant would you recommend. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This is a common problem in boats about 10 years old as the adhesive sealant starts to break down: yes, remove the old dried worn sealant and replace with 3M fast cure 4000 or 4200 fast cure: either white or black (black may match your rubrail better. In a perfect world, you would remove the rub rail and do this all the way around your hull.....you may get away w/ repairing the described area of the leaking junction.

I've had a suspicion from last season that mine was leaking from that same general area as I was finding water under my birth cushion on the starboard side. After reading many others on CP finding it was coming from the rubrail seal I figured the same. A few weeks ago I just purchased a tube of black pure silicone and worked it in from the bow to the back edge of the walk around steps. I used a finger to force the bead up into the rubrail and had to run over most of it a few times to get it right. I went through a bunch of rags using Acetone to clean up. Also, I used the Acetone and a rag to clean the rubrail and over the old sealant before applying the silicone. Boat is still in my driveway so I can't report if it was successful yet but it looks good and seems to be sealed well.

THANK GUYS. IM GOING TO F**** with it tomorrow. Ill let u know how I make out. The boat is going in the water sometime this week so Ill keep u all posted. I picked up some life caulk. Ill deal with it from the inside and outside maybe. Im going to tape the rub rail off before caulking I think. :mrgreen:

Well I started poking at it today. I was surprised as I thought they bedded the deck into sealant on the hull more. There was very little sealant and foam backer rod behind it. No wonder it leaks now. The rub rail should come off to do this right. for now Im going to get this resealed and get it into the water. also they used a polysulfide caulk in the front 1/3 of the boat and silicone on the back 2/3.

If they're accessible try to tighten the nuts on the inside after you apply sealant to the joint. I've done this on several different makes of boats with good result.

I caulked it with life caulk with the rub rail on. To do this right its taking the whole rub rail off, adding more bolts, and digging all that old caulk out which is the biggest pain in the ass and resealing and installing new rub rail. For what it costs why reuse the rub rail. I don't know, Im sick of everything turning into a project with these boat. Half of the time fishing isn't all that great anymore and u can't keep shit anymore. NMFS has no clue. Its an expensive hobby lol. Thanks for all the replies.Id love to hear how people found the easiest way to get out the old sealant before resealing. I dread that job.Im starting to think about a sawzall lol.

Back