Thru Hull Scoop size?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azorean Steve

Reaction score
preparing to install a thru hull scoop for a livewell pump. what size fitting should i be installing to meet the demand of the pump?

thank you!

I guess it depends on what size the pump is but 3/4 is usually adequate for a rec fisherman. Just remember the volume of any plumbing system is limited to the volume of the smallest opening in the system!

What are you looking at for pumps?

To large of a livewell pump can stress the baits.

last year i ran a rule tournament 1100 and i did not get enough flow, however this was on my old boat. i'll be using the same livewell but was planning on running a Johnson 1600. It will be used to keep pogies alive. My buddy with a 2520 runs a 1600 and does very well keeping pogies & macs very lively.

That pump has a 1 inch inlet, and up to 1 1/4 outlet, so I would go with at least a 1 inch scoop, sea cock, and a bronze nipple to the bottom of the pump. Makes no sense to choke off the inlet side. If too much flow, put a ball valve on the discharge side to regulate flow to the bait tank.

I agree.

How damn big of livewell do you have?

There is some VERY good info on the Kodiak bait tank site, as to sizing the pump to the tank and not overstressing the baits also.

And then what type tank do you have..... Home made? Is it plumbed from the bottom and water exits the top, so the whole coloum of water is changed over?

sorry for the delayed response...
i'll be reusing my old Aquaworld 23 gallon for now but will be upgrading. After some more research i realized that my transom mounted pump on my old boat was not mounted low enough below the water line and that could be the reason why i was not getting the flow that i should have with an 1100 gph pump.

transom mounted pump on my old boat

So the pick up went thru the transom?

Those are notorious to starving a livewell. Sitting in the water it works fine.......Underway the boat lifts and water is taken away from the intake and it sucks air.

My Scout did that.

The scoop will push water into the livewell even with no pump on , while underway.

Look at the chart on this page. http://kodiakmarine.com/bait_pumps.html

Your sizing of the pump is to large...... I know......I know......Bigger, Better, Faster.

BUT! ....... To much flow and to fast of flow can stress your baits.

If you read that whole Kodiak website you will learn some things. It's good info from people who create this stuff.

I run a 700GPH on a 33gal tank. I ran a 1100 on a 42gal Kodiak.

Azorean Steve":2nog3qce said:
no, the pump sat on a bracket that is mounted onto the transom which extends just below the bottom of the hull.

I don't have a clue what that looks like.

Here's mine.... Been running dual port Rule pumps for a LOT of years.

100_4961_zpsf44a2965.jpg

100_4885_zps60558460.jpg

warthog5":1jybrory said:
Azorean Steve":1jybrory said:
no, the pump sat on a bracket that is mounted onto the transom which extends just below the bottom of the hull.

I don't have a clue what that looks like.

Here's mine.... Been running dual port Rule pumps for a LOT of years.

Some examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=google& ... 0ljXjFX4YM:

A question, do all live well pumps on a scoop , and any bilge pumps used as live well pumps, circulate water past the pump when running on plane with the pump off? If not sufficient for keeping bait alive for a long run, that would be a good reason to add a second scoop to the transom, tab, etc., although the intake would need to be at the top of the tank, rather than fighting water pressure at the bottom.

OMG! You had that ugly contraption hung on the transom?

With the Seacock open and the boat moving in a froward direction.... It will push water into the livewell with the pump OFF.

I guess this is worth mentioning as your a newbe to this. The slots in the scoop face forward.... If it's turned around it will create a vacuum.

Yes... I've seen that. :(

Back