Considering removing my cabins hatch.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisheron

Reaction score
In the final stages of a major renovation. One of the last modifications I am considering is removing the square roof hatch in the cabin.

My main objective is to create a flat surface that a cushion can be put on for laying on for sunning or relaxing. My daughters and wife dont come out to often anymore but when they do first thing each of them dos is look for a nice flat spot to lay out on. My old bones too enjoy a place to stretch out at time when drift fishing.

The cabin gets plenty of air movement with 12" fans and the slightly darker v berth would not be a negative on sunny and hot days when shade is scarce.

The labor is minor because I am good with glass and the entire hull and cabin will be re gelcoated very soon anyway. Those little grab handles are gone already.

I just wonder what others would think about the trade offs of hatch vs bow sun deck.

I get it as we like to fish and hang out up on the bow. I actually keep a dark fabric between the screen and to glass in the hatch specifically to keep the sun out and I very rarely open the hatch. That said, I think you could still have a cushion made that would snap down and just go over the hatch and you wouldn't even notice it under there? I'm sure you thought about that.

Did it today. Pretty easy project. Hatch came out easy. Beveled outside edge for support, put a waxed piece of plywood under held with bottle jacks and started laying up glass. FYI that lower roof was solid glass and about 7/16" thick.

Happy with the decision to do it. Without the hatch and the hand holds it looks bigger. It would be really beautiful with a custom pleated cushion out there.

Back