Tell tale water temp on muffs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
I have a 200hp 4 stroke. I was running it on muffs today. Muffs on lower unit plus a hose to the flush port. The water coming out of he tell tale was hot. I just replaced the theromostates. The temp gauge was indicating just lift of the center line. I ldont recall it being hot before. Is this normal? I dropped the lower unit and checked the water pump it looked ok. Any ideas.

Yamaha's are notorious for overheating while running on muffs.

Put it in a tank and see what happens.

I use a big ass cooler and keep the hose running in the cooler.

If you don't have cooler laying around, a cheaper option might be to use a 55 gal plastic barrel (check craigslist usually around $20) make a cut out on the side to fit the motor in, this way you can use the bung to drain the barrel when finished. This is what I use and my 225 with permatrim fits perfect. Like warthog said, make sure you are constantly running fresh water through the barrel or cooler.

The flush port is just that... a flush port.
It is not meant to be used when running the motor.

Thanks for all the replies. Megabyte, just to clarify, I am not just using the flush port when running the engine. I use the flush port and the muffs. I was told to do this by my dealer when I bought the boat new in 2007. they said because it is such a large engine (200 HP) I needed to do both. This is the first time I recall the water coming out of the tell tale to be hot. Warm I get but not hot. I had the cover off the engine and I was in the bright sunlight, so that may have had an effect on the temp as well. I'll try the barrel idea and see what happens. Thanks!

warthog5":2062digj said:
a cheaper option might be to use a 55 gal plastic barrel

55gal drums are not as big as you think. These Big motors 200 thru 300 HP will not fit in them.

I actually use one on my Yamaha F225, which also has a permatrim installed and it fits perfectly. I cut out the side of the barrell with a sawzall (not the top). I use the one of the two bungs as a drain when I am finished. The depth is also perfect, I am able to get the water above the cav plate. I will take a picture this weekend, when I use it.

I usually place a 2x4 on each side of the barrel to keep it from rolling to the left or right.

Attachments

• 0525171534a.jpg
    0525171534a.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 0525171534.jpg
    0525171534.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 331
I have two Yamaha 2013 200's .A Yamaha mechanic told me to remove the plastic weed strainer from the lower unit whenever running muffs. I did as he said and have never had another problem with overheating. It allows enough volume of water to produce a good strong stream from the pee hole which stays cool. Also should never run the motors with the hose connection, only with muffs.

PF79":1982z8no said:
Also should never run the motors with the hose connection, only with muffs.

That is true.
The hose connection is the flush port, it was never meant to run the motor on that port.
If you must run the motor on the hose, use muffs.

Megabyte":1fqptw0y said:
PF79":1fqptw0y said:
Also should never run the motors with the hose connection, only with muffs.

That is true.
The hose connection is the flush port, it was never meant to run the motor on that port.
If you must run the motor on the hose, use muffs.
Making flush tanks from plastic barrels maybe an option.

B2

Just to throw something else in the ring.

A bunch of these late model motors [Yamaha & Suzuki] have Low water pick ups.

Manual says Duct tape over the Lower pickup while using muffs. The Horz. barrel / tank with solve that problem.

If using muffs and no Duct tape...It can suck air and leak the water out of the Lower pick up.

Back