New to me 1987 21' center console

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams

Reaction score
I just put down a deposit on a 1987 21' center console and pick it up tomorrow evening. The hull and deck are in great condition, but, everything else is a complete redo. I will be switching over all the rigging from a 20' aquasport that I currently own. The major stuff getting moved over are engine (150 OX66), T-top, trim tabs, electronics. I've got way too much stuff on my plate these days, but, it seemed like a good deal, so I went for it. Who needs sleep anyways.

I have done some searching on here and cannot find any similar projects on a hull that age. Any Parker owners with similar projects I'd be happy for some input or tips.

Sam

Well I went and picked her up yesterday. The transfer from jack stands to trailer went easily. To facilitate the process I brought and extra pair of jack stands. By supporting it near the console and at the transom I was able to remove the from jack stands and get the trailer almost half way under the boat before I started to lower it. once the bow was on we used the winch the suck the trailer under, while lowering the stands.

Sy6Xndt.jpg

Here she is loaded and ready to roll.
Iq6ldOP.jpg

Quick look under the plastic.
beCMyPG.jpg

Sam

Now that I have the boat and have gone through it in some detail I can see she is in better shape than I thought. The deck and transom are rock solid. The previous owner added very little to the boat. As a result there are a total of 6 screws that are note original between deck and transom of a 1987 boat. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is some correlation.

I am having a hard time finding out much about this hull. I have searched this site pretty thoroughly and can only find one or two posts regarding 80's center consoles. If anyone has a similar hull I'd love to hear about how you have it rigged, performance, any suggestions etc...

I will see if the old Johnson starts sometime today. If she wants to start I will keep it on for the season. If not I will change it out for the 150 OX66 that I have waiting for a home. The rest of the work list. Part A is the stuff I need to do to get it in the water this year. Part B is next winter's work list.

A:

Hang/rig engine
Fish finder/ GPS - Raymarine A70D, Furuno 600L
2nd battery
Launch

B:

T-top
Bennett trim tabs
stereo
livewell leaning post
remove from console seat and add door to front
cooler seat or removable coffin box
out riggers
more rods holders.

Sam

Get the cover off and take some pics from all sides. I am pretty sure the layout is the same as the early 90's. Does it have a Southwester logo on it?

I'm guessing you have all that stuff in part A?

It's obsolete and I steer everyone away from Raymarine.

warthog5":22n4wunm said:
I'm guessing you have all that stuff in part A?

It's obsolete and I steer everyone away from Raymarine.

The Furuno is also obsolete, but, I have them so they are going in.

First step is get things going. Then I'll start upgrading.

Sam

The Furuno is also obsolete, but, I have them so they are going in.

Yep and it's only a 300watt unit.

It's been a Long time ago when I put one of those in New.

I got a few minutes to pop the cover on the old Johnson and it looks pretty crusty in there. I don't want to spend much time with this engine, but, if she fires right up I'll run her for the season. Even if I do not run it on my boat it will be easier to sell and worth more if I get it going. I need to make sure that I keep the project moving, instead of trying to prove how smart I am to a 30 year old engine that doesn't care how smart I am.
z5DX8Wd.jpg

I put a fresh battery on and hit the key, with no response of any type. No turn, no click, no choke, no trim tilt. Then I jumped the starter and it spun right up, but, the bendix would not kick out. I'll soak it in PB blaster and whack it with a hammer next time I get a moment and see what happens. If i can get it to engage the flywheel I will trouble shoot the control unit. If I cannot get it to engage it goes direct to CL. I am not buying parts for this thing.

Sam

The flywheel turns by hand, so I am not worried about the engine turning. I just need the started to engage the flywheel so I can see if it will fire up or not.

sam

I got a few hours last night to move things along. I made the decision to move on from the 225 and hang the Yamaha. It was going to be more work than i was interested in putting into that old Johnson to get her going. I will toss it on a stand and may get around to getting it running to sell.

Having made the decision to move on I starter stripping the engine, controls, etce.. Having a loading dock and fork truck with boom certainly make the engine removal easy. I didn't get a picture of the engine in the air, but, here is the naked transom.

ql1iTuG.jpg

While the engine came off easily the rigging was a different story. The boat was set up with a single engine, single helm, 2 cable Morse arrangement. I have never seen one of these before, and while it was the same basic set up as other boats I've had dealing with one long steering cable is a PITA. Dealing with 2 is even worse. Also the rigging tube was stuffed full and has a hard bend in it someplace. I have about 3 hours into derigging and probably need another 3 to get finished. I will also have to do some re rigging as things like running lights were victims of the destruction.

INsI2qT.jpg

Before I started I was thinking of building a new console with a front entry. Now there is no question that is what I will be doing. Getting to the helm absolutely sucked, I could barely climb through that hatch in the aft side of the console. If I had eaten dinner I might never have gotten in there.

Time to go hang out and play int he skiff for the 4th and then back to it next week.

sam

Write down the HIN and give the Parker factory a call.

My guess is that your hull is pretty much the same as the current hulls.
You don't fix what isn't broken.

Control......

Go to Ebay and shop for a NIB Yamaha 704 control.
Assemble that with Teleflex X-Treame cables. You will thank me later. :)

Morse Red Jacket cables are the worst.

Those cables are headed to the dumpster. I've got a 704 in very good condition and hydraulic steering in my inventory.

Sam

I had some time last weekend to make not as much progress as I expected. I had a full day Saturday to work on the boat and hoped to have the boat fully stripped and the new engine on as well as some controls.

Things got off to s low start when the donor boat's trailer was sunk into the yard from sitting. Of course none of the tools I needed to rectify the situation quickly were findable/ in working order. By the time I had the donor boat at the shop it was noon as opposed to 9:30. Well, that pretty much par for the course.

Once I had the donor boat at the shop the engine swap mostly a piece of cake. Fork trucks make this kind of job pretty easy.

yQsvm75.jpg

After getting soaked as I was bolting everything up the engine is on.

7tdYYPe.jpg

Now I need to find some time to swap controls and get this thing in the water. Lots more to do before she is "done", but for now a working engine and fish finder is all I need to get her wet.

sam

Finally had a bit more time to work on rigging this weekend. Of course, although I did make some progress, it was not exactly the type of progress I was hoping to make.

By Friday I had collected a pile of goodies, including rigging and deck hardware. The plan was to cut the aft deck for a larger hatch as trying to rig through a 9" pie plate was BS. Of course I accidentally ordered the black one, instead of white. Well, at least I got the hole cut and had more room to work.

yz8SIRE.jpg

much better.

Then it was time to start setting up the helm. After I recut the steering wheel hole to allow for the hydraulic helm I realized I had a n issue.

eNEYjYF.jpg

The steering wheel was 24" on center from the throttle control. I could reach both at the same time, but, driving with this configuration as not going to be easy, or comfortable. Due to the number of holes fromt he OMC gauges there was not an easy way to bring the 2 together. Time to start cutting and glassing.

First I made a cut that would include any areas with gauge holes.

lxriHt7.jpg

Then I filled it with divynicell and glassed over it. The interior surface is an oversized piece of flat stock that I bonded the core to before installing. This made things much easier than laying glass upside down in the console. The top surface is glassed in place with 2 layers of mat and 1 layer of biax.

NmNAgTN.jpg

I will probably just paint that surface of the console with a white spray can, as i plan to build a new console over the winter.

Now I am back to where I thought I was about 6 hours of work ago. Hopefully I can get tjings to run smoothly from here. If so I should get her in the water and still have some season left to use her.

sam

Long over due and woefully incomplete update.

I finally got her up and running although I have not completed the full work list that I started out with. After too many weekend of my daughters asking "Is it done yet? We want to go out on it." I decided to set an achievable goal and get her int he water.

To get her in and running the list was:

Engine - rigged and running
Basic electrical - new switch panel, running lights, engine wiring
Live well - (this is a must for me, even if I don't use it that often)
New electronics - I decided to pick up a Raymarine Axiom 9" ( I will add a second screen or other new toys next year)

Finally got her in the water in mid June.

Here she is on the mooring
WIKXdLa.jpg

My wife at the helm
msFBf6N.jpg

My younger daughter sacked out after about 80 miles.
KpdUipi.jpg

More to follow as we keep working on it and using her.

sam

Back