Claw/Bruce anchor shaft rubbage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyhigh123

Reaction score
I added a Lewmar 700 windlass. My Anchor is a 16lb Claw type. When The anchor is tight against the bow pulpit, the shaft of the anchor is rubbing on the bow pulput gelcoat section. What can I do to get the anchor straight when taught?

Should I add an additional roller like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amarine-made-Th ... 1438.l2649

When I drop anchor, the weight does not automatically drop and need a push to get the anchor to drop.

62fd0ade70143c46f72091f436307ddb.jpg

Here is a picture.
The issue is the angle fro windlass to the bottom of the claw.

I saw another Parker add the bow roller I linked where the shaft is to raise that portion.

If the chain were only attached to the end of the anchor would that allow the end to rise up parallel to the pulpit or would than make the anchor side flukes dig into the under side of the pulpit?

I just cut a piece of starboard to fit the indentation and put it in there with 5200. So far so good.

I'm surprised that the darn thing won't self launch. Those Bruce-types are so front heavy. I think that rather than raising the windlass, raise the shank of the anchor near where the swivel is lashed on.

My Delta is on the cusp of being self-launching. Sometimes yes and other times no. I'm going to try a block of Starboard under the swivel.

Have you considered a pivoting bow roller? It may also help with clearances with the anchor and your pulpit? This is just one made by Lewmar but there are many other options.

Attachments

• IMG_6923.JPG
    IMG_6923.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 188
rwp48":21q6aarn said:
I'm surprised that the darn thing won't self launch. Those Bruce-types are so front heavy. I think that rather than raising the windlass, raise the shank of the anchor near where the swivel is lashed on.

My Delta is on the cusp of being self-launching. Sometimes yes and other times no. I'm going to try a block of Starboard under the swivel.

I saw another Parker that put the roller I linked above on the shank. It raises the shank up 5 inches and allows it to self launch.

johnkn":3tj108cv said:
If the chain were only attached to the end of the anchor would that allow the end to rise up parallel to the pulpit or would than make the anchor side flukes dig into the under side of the pulpit?

That is what I was wondering. Something just doesn't look natural with that angle of pull. Try disconnecting the swivel, and attach the shackle directly to the anchor just to see what it does. It also looks like easing off the tension would let the anchor drop down on the roller at the front. It is not meant to ride up like that.
The roller that you linked is designed to be on the bottom of a pulpit that has a slot for the shank to pull thru, and the flukes remain below. I would go with a star board pad, rather than a roller, if you stay with the current set-up.

Back