Planning for Marine AC for 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docs911

Reaction score
A few years ago, I embarked on trying to get AC for my 2005 Parker 2520. I am in Virginia and the family does not enjoy boating during the summer heat. We use the boat mostly during the fall striper season. I may use it a total of 20 engine hrs per year. With adding AC, I am hoping to use the boat more during the summer. When I was looking before, I was looking at the R2D2 style home units or the roof mounted. Members encouraged me to use a real marine AC unit.

Fast forward to 2017/18. I am now planning to install either a Mermaid 6200 BTU or Mermaid 9000 BTU unit. It is relatively small footprint both at L-16″ W-11.5″ H-11.5″. The 6500 BTU unit can be run off a Honda 1000 generator while the 9000 BTU unit needs the Honda 2000 generator. I am planning on placing the unit under the port side rear seat. I would place the generator on the swim platform.

I am not enthusiastic about cutting another hole for the through hull for the pump/strainer and return. Would it be possible to use my live well pump to pump into the AC unit? The return could be directed into the livewell, where it can fill it up and drain like usual.

Thoughts?

Docs, I agree with avoiding the R2D2 portable units as I’ve been there done that. I’ll list my thoughts:
1. You need a certain volume of flow of the water as in GPH for a specific unit, check your live well pump and the AC specs.
2. You really should have a strainer on the supply side.
3. There should be an uphill run from the thru hull valve to the strainer then to the pump then to the AC unit.
4. You will need to run the exit line from the unit through the hull to somewhere above the water line but preferably below the units exit port.
5. You will need to run a drain line from the unit pan drain to somewhere below the unit and above the water line or to something like a sealed shower sump pump to???
6. Shorepower?? Don’t know if you can use it while at the dock but you can rig a simple plug from the control box for the unit to the gen?
7. You will need to cut a 7”x7” or so hole in the jump seat compartment and put a return air vent cover over it for the return air vent to the unit.
8. Cutting a hole above the water line for the exit line and or drain is not a big deal so don’t let that run you design decisions. JMO

I’ve done this project including adding an inverter so feel free to pick my brain.

Can't comment on the A/C, but I'd be cautious putting a generator on the bracket. There have been many occasions while drift fishing on relatively calm days that a good-sized roller has caught up with me from behind and put a good amount of water over the bracket. Regardless of whether or not the Honda generators can be "waterproofed", the saltwater exposure is going to take a toll on your equipment, not to mention the live cables being exposed to saltwater :shock: You may want to brainstorm some alternate locations, I know others on here use generators frequently and they may have some ideas.

I have seen generators here on the pilothouse roof. Temporary use of course.

On the pilot house roof.....gave it some brief thought. If I used a mermaid M5 or M6, it could be run by a honda 1000 gen. That is 20lbs less than the honda 2000 generator. I think I remember that someone had a mermaid M5 and it didn't keep the cabin cool enough

Project on hold. Repowering instead. may have the dreaded yamaha corrosion.

Back