Rat getting into my 18 Parker!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccprk18

Reaction score
I have a rat/s getting into my 18 cc bilge that chewed up some wires. I've placed stainless steel wool into the smaller rear compartment opening holes. Also rat traps used ... However, the rat can get through the large opening gaps under the front deck by the anchor (@4"X6') and the fuel line feed on the port side. I put towels in that area for now, but that's just temporary. I'm thinking of using marine lumber/plastic (starboard) to fabricate pieces that I can place over these openings. Maybe drill some small holes for ventilation. Would have to use some sort of hose protector around fuel line so it doesn't rub on anything. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, CV

I use moth balls in plastic butter tubs in my collector car when storing it for the winter.
Mice find their way indoors in cold months and have been known to nest (and chew) in collector cars.
Seems to work as I've never seen any evidence of them in my garage.
I would imagine it would work for boats too.

Someone told me to use Fabric Softener sheets...the more smell the better. Moderately place them throughout all areas.

Ccprk18":1hia8of2 said:
I have a rat/s getting into my 18 cc bilge that chewed up some wires. I've placed stainless steel wool into the smaller rear compartment opening holes. Also rat traps used ... However, the rat can get through the large opening gaps under the front deck by the anchor (@4"X6') and the fuel line feed on the port side. I put towels in that area for now, but that's just temporary. I'm thinking of using marine lumber/plastic (starboard) to fabricate pieces that I can place over these openings. Maybe drill some small holes for ventilation. Would have to use some sort of hose protector around fuel line so it doesn't rub on anything. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, CV
Where do you keep your a boat?. There are metal traps that reusable and add bait. About 10 to 15 dollars each and last a long time. Rodents ate trapped inside and better than poison. M2cw

B2

I keep the boat on a lift in my canal in the back yard. I won't us poison. Don't want my dogs getting into a poisoned dead rat... the regular Victor traps have killed a few in the past, but there's always that smart rat that seems to avoid the trap. It found its way underneath my console and tore up some wires in the process. Does Parker intentionally leave that open gap underneath the front deck for ventilation? Critters love getting in there.

Ccprk18":1695jukh said:
I keep the boat on a lift in my canal in the back yard. I won't us poison. Don't want my dogs getting into a poisoned dead rat... the regular Victor traps have killed a few in the past, but there's always that smart rat that seems to avoid the trap. It found its way underneath my console and tore up some wires in the process. Does Parker intentionally leave that open gap underneath the front deck for ventilation? Critters love getting in there.
I use these and place a free small disposable cup from restaurants inside filled with peanut butter. Easy to replace n remove rodents. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/jt-eat ... sAEALw_wcB. You got a property rodent problem and need to clean up grounds. In Florida, we have feral cats in the area that keep rodent population down. Metal traps can be used in boat and property. M2cw.

B2

Brent":3qoc99sc said:
Ccprk18":3qoc99sc said:
I use these and place a free small disposable cup from restaurants inside filled with peanut butter. Easy to replace n remove rodents. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/jt-eat ... sAEALw_wcB. You got a property rodent problem and need to clean up grounds. In Florida, we have feral cats in the area that keep rodent population down. Metal traps can be used in boat and property. M2cw.

B2
As suggested add moth balls in.bilge and other places in.boat. Place baggies n leave top open

B2

That is what I do.

The moth balls come in a small cardboard box. I cut the top off the box and place it in a zip-lock bag.
During storage, I put the boxes in the car and open the zip-lock.
In the spring, I seal up the zip-lock and store the bag until the next fall storage season.

Been working for me for years.

Megabyte":1dug8ld1 said:
That is what I do.

The moth balls come in a small cardboard box. I cut the top off the box and place it in a zip-lock bag.
During storage, I put the boxes in the car and open the zip-lock.
In the spring, I seal up the zip-lock and store the bag until the next fall storage season.

Been working for me for years.
If all rats are over your neighnborhood then it is a public health issue and contact health department for abatement.

B2

Thank you all for your advice. Moth balls are the way to go. Btw, rats are everywhere in the USA. As far as calling the health department, I'm sure they would be overwhelmed if everyone called in for a nuisance rat.

My old neighborhood used to have a red fox population and a red tail hawk population.
Both kept critters 'thinned'.

I watched a hawk take a squirrel and a black snake on two seperate occasions.
That was a holy shit moment watching him carry that snake away !

Back