1994 Parker 2320 extended cabin open back project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheltunen

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1994 2320 extended cabin open back. She came equipped with a 2004 Honda 225 with 600 hours on a bracket. I drove 1300 miles each way from northern Michigan and I do mean northern (I’m right at the top) to Arapahoe NC in January. Now after doing this once I can safely say I would NEVER drive that far again for a boat in the winter. For the most part roads were in our favor and we made fairly good time. When we arrived I soon found out the trailer had no trailer brakes and the tires were in poor condition. Left with no good option we loaded up and headed north only to blow our first tire 10 miles away. With some quick google searches we were able to find a tire shop that was closing shortly, and we were able to convince the owner/manager to remain open. At this time we replaced all 4 trailer tires as well as one more for the spare. The remainder of the trip home was relatively uneventful other than some snowy roads. The purpose of this post is to document my attempt show my upgrades and a platform to ask questions for my build. Overall I rate the vessel in good condition for her age and hopefully I get many more years of service from her .

f49d6bbcd4038eeaea5a4311330a9ec2.jpg
1a183affa3dde9de2ab1cc64fb8ff30d.jpg
9a9406f7e20e53aca66b87fdb538ad3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible to contact Parker directly for a build sheet for my vessel? I’ve been trying to find out the fuel tank size. I was able to find the tag by the pickup tubes but unfortunately the information was all wiped off.

mheltunen":7lklt1uj said:
Is it possible to contact Parker directly for a build sheet for my vessel? I’ve been trying to find out the fuel tank size. I was able to find the tag by the pickup tubes but unfortunately the information was all wiped off.

I just bought a 95 2530 last month. I’ve sent them two emails asking for information, they’ve never replied. I removed the caps and was able to find the tag on the tank from RDS. I called them and they gave me all kinds of information.

fannin":3uo48yf8 said:
mheltunen":3uo48yf8 said:

I just bought a 95 2530 last month. I’ve sent them two emails asking for information, they’ve never replied. I removed the caps and was able to find the tag on the tank from RDS. I called them and they gave me all kinds of information.

At a glance my tank appears to be 5’x5’ with an unknown depth. It is an RDS as well but the information is wiped off. Now that is an estimate and I did not actually measure it. The previous owner claimed it was 80 gallons but I’m skeptical because he did not seem to know that much about the vessel.

mheltunen":zdf14t9s said:
fannin":zdf14t9s said:
mheltunen":zdf14t9s said:

At a glance my tank appears to be 5’x5’ with an unknown depth. It is an RDS as well but the information is wiped off. Now that is an estimate and I did not actually measure it. The previous owner claimed it was 80 gallons but I’m skeptical because he did not seem to know that much about the vessel.
You should contact RDS with HIN. They might diagrams.

B2

I sent RDS an email with the HIN. Thanks for the tip.

At least you have a good story to tell and you can consider it a great adventure. I went from Winston Salem, NC to Lowell, MA then to her home in Beaufort, NC. Ironically she’s stored a mile or so from where she was built. Driving through NY, Jersey, Baltimore and DC towing was my adventure. Anyway, I would call the plant and ask to speak with someone in engineering for your build specs. Sometimes an old fashioned phone call might work. My guess is that tank is at least 120 gal?

Here is an old thread where the guy said he installed a new 148 gal tank.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12580

I had some time this afternoon and called the Parker Plant directly. I was not able to get past the secretary and she highly encouraged me to communicate via email. She told me that engineering is not there very often (which struck me as odd) and if I diddnt receive an answer via email to keep calling back until I contacted them. So it’s a waiting game . I am going to need a fair amount of gel coat for touch ups. Does anyone have a source for “colormatched” gelcoat for this vintage?

It took 2 weeks but I finally got a email back from Parker. Which I don't think any of the information is correct, they told me my dead rise is 13 degrees and it came with a 100 gallon fuel tank? :roll:

Odd they didn’t have a true documented build sheet available. I was kinda disappointed with the customer service considering when I called Grady white regarding some questions on a boat I was looking at they immediately transferred me to engineering and addressed my questions. Oh well each company is different when addressing customers concerns and no doubt ones pertaining to a 24 year old model.

mheltunen":36bjhj8e said:
Odd they didn’t have a true documented build sheet available. I was kinda disappointed with the customer service considering when I called Grady white regarding some questions on a boat I was looking at they immediately transferred me to engineering and addressed my questions. Oh well each company is different when addressing customers concerns and no doubt ones pertaining to a 24 year old model.

I agree. I have work records back to the 70's but when I retire they will be lost

B2

Congrats and good luck OP. Open backs are the best.

I took off the rear hydraulic steering ram today. The seal of the starboard side is leaking and the system is losing pressure so I assume a rebuild is in order. Problem I have now is the steering cylinder has no identification numbers on it other than a casting number (CPO1). I inspected the helm and found a seastar sticker on it but no tag to be found (yet). I also observed some slight leaking on the helm as well. I’m at a crossroads, should I rebuild both the helm and the cylinder (providing I find the correct information) or would a new steering kit be a better option. Obviously budget is a concern but I would rather invest in a new kit vs fighting steering issues long term.
3d07eecabc7a535ebb57ea5798dd9251.jpg

Looking forward the electrical “system” is a mess. I may have mentioned it earlier but it looks like a ten year old was given wire strippers and Walmart crimp connectors and went nuts. The Parker switch panel is in poor condition with quite a bit of corrosion observed. I’m planning on replacing much of the wiring and the switches and perhaps breakers on the panel. Does anyone have a cost effective source for lighted replacement switches or perhaps a updated panel. I’ll keep pictures coming as I discover more ways to spend my kids college fund.

I used iMarine and BOE Marine on line mostly. I would shop around between them and others trying to save a buck. I used Blue Seas System stuff except for the battery switch which was a a BEP Cluster switch. Warthog recommended that and it’s very cool. It does automatic battery management. I also ordered wire and connectors from a good online source if you need that, I’ll need to look them up. Obviously you probably know this but only use tinned copper Marine wire and heat shrink connectors for all of them. Top off all connections with dielectric grease.

mheltunen":1jqub7ab said:
I took off the rear hydraulic steering ram today. The seal of the starboard side is leaking and the system is losing pressure so I assume a rebuild is in order. Problem I have now is the steering cylinder has no identification numbers on it other than a casting number (CPO1). I inspected the helm and found a seastar sticker on it but no tag to be found (yet). I also observed some slight leaking on the helm as well. I’m at a crossroads, should I rebuild both the helm and the cylinder (providing I find the correct information) or would a new steering kit be a better option. Obviously budget is a concern but I would rather invest in a new kit vs fighting steering issues long term.

I would not waste my time on that old system. I had to replace mine last year or so. I used a Uflex Silversteer system. It’s going to be painful, but I would replace the entire system, pump, hoses and cylinder. See link. This system has much heavier seals and it will handle up to 300 HP for future repower options.
http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/en/c ... steer.html

shawnee83":27dmnz6x said:
mheltunen":27dmnz6x said:

I would not waste my time on that old system. I had to replace mine last year or so. I used a Uflex Silversteer system. It’s going to be painful, but I would replace the entire system, pump, hoses and cylinder. See link. This system has much heavier seals and it will handle up to 300 HP for future repower options.
http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/en/c ... steer.html

I’m sorta leaning in that direction. Do you have a source where to order this thru?

You will need to google search for a source or call BOE or iMarine? This is the kit at West Marine but you should be able to fine it cheaper. You need to verify what model you need that will connect to the Honda. Also, make sure that you get the high pressure hose as this is a 1500 psi system not 1000 psi.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/uflex--s ... gJ68PD_BwE

*update . I called uflex and discussed options with customer support (very eager to help). They recommended the Protech 1.0 kit and said it is a good fit for my application. I did go ahead and order it along with new thru hull fittings and a West system epoxy kit for some roof repair.

Back