2004 2120 GAS TANK REPLACEMENT

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pathfinder101

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2004 2120 and I will need your expert opinion. I love my Parker and please do know that I'm not talking negative about my Parker. I just want your opinions as to what I should do next.. I took it to my service guy and after servicing the motor they had told me that there is water in the gas tank. So, upon more inspection this is what they had found. Please see below.. His recommendation is to get to the gas tank and have a visual look. He thinks it might require to be replaced..

1) Est. water in gas tank 4 gallons from 50 gallons of fuel. They siphoned all the gas out from the tank.

2) Water entered in the fuel tank compartment. Cannot tell where the water is intruding. Could be water leaking from either bad rubber o'ring from hatch or bait tank that was installed previously above the deck.

3) Small amount of sand in fuel. Could be fine wood debris in the tank from various reasons such as during assembly of the boat.

I live in Northern CA and their isn't a Parker dealership unless I go to Southern CA. I took the boat to a local outboard motor Yamaha certified shop. They do not do boat repair. They did recommend 2 shops in the area. My question is " Is there a recommended repair shop that knows about Parker boats other then the 2 shops? " Also, If I will need to replace the alum. gas tank can I replaced it with a plastic gas tank?(some I spoke with said no. Not a good idea). But, I know there are a few manufactures in the west coast that has plastic gas tanks in their boats and it seems like no problems.. Lastly, can I modify the deck so that it can be easily accessible? Appreciate your thoughts..

Thanks,
Jeff

Wouldn't they want to pressure test the tank and check all the connections and the gasket around the fuel fill prior to pulling up the tank? 4 gallons seems like a lot to be in the tank.

I would get a second opinion

pathfinder101":1nk93is0 said:
Hi All,

I have a 2004 2120 and I will need your expert opinion. I love my Parker and please do know that I'm not talking negative about my Parker. I just want your opinions as to what I should do next.. I took it to my service guy and after servicing the motor they had told me that there is water in the gas tank. So, upon more inspection this is what they had found. Please see below.. His recommendation is to get to the gas tank and have a visual look. He thinks it might require to be replaced..

1) Est. water in gas tank 4 gallons from 50 gallons of fuel. They siphoned all the gas out from the tank.

2) Water entered in the fuel tank compartment. Cannot tell where the water is intruding. Could be water leaking from either bad rubber o'ring from hatch or bait tank that was installed previously above the deck.

3) Small amount of sand in fuel. Could be fine wood debris in the tank from various reasons such as during assembly of the boat.

I live in Northern CA and their isn't a Parker dealership unless I go to Southern CA. I took the boat to a local outboard motor Yamaha certified shop. They do not do boat repair. They did recommend 2 shops in the area. My question is " Is there a recommended repair shop that knows about Parker boats other then the 2 shops? " Also, If I will need to replace the alum. gas tank can I replaced it with a plastic gas tank?(some I spoke with said no. Not a good idea). But, I know there are a few manufactures in the west coast that has plastic gas tanks in their boats and it seems like no problems.. Lastly, can I modify the deck so that it can be easily accessible? Appreciate your thoughts..

Thanks,
Jeff
m2cw read Warthog's postings on fuel tanks replacement. replace deck hatches and maintain them. replace all hoses with top of line hose, use 3/16 inch aluminium, coat wirh epoxy, add second vent line, add tabs to tank, foam in tank and seal the top of foam, use WEMA fuel sender, etc

B2

pathfinder101":3tr1t8jm said:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Jeff
i would check all hoses, fuel cap o ring and fuel sender mount first

B2

Brent":zdcxzrdn said:
pathfinder101":zdcxzrdn said:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Jeff

B2
then clean up the bilge and fill the tank and go boating. check bilge often

B2

Brent":gscyhpc2 said:
Brent":gscyhpc2 said:
pathfinder101":gscyhpc2 said:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Jeff

B2
then clean up the bilge and fill the tank and go boating. check bilge often

B2
if have a Racor fuel filter snd head in back check it for leaks. maybe filter had1 bad o ring

B2

Hi all,

This is the update so far.. Our local shop had stated that I will need to take the boat to a fiberglass repair shop and they will need to take a closer look at the fuel tank.. What they are confirming is there is definitely a leak somewhere... It really sucks that they need to cut the deck just to see what's going on.... LOL.. So far, there are only 2 companies that can do a job like this where I live... As for the fuel tank, I was told from a lot of professionals to use the alum. tanks instead of the plastic tanks.. Also, I was told that the special coating is an added plus... Anyways, I will update more info as we go....

-Jeff

pathfinder101":35jef4vo said:
Hi all,

This is the update so far.. Our local shop had stated that I will need to take the boat to a fiberglass repair shop and they will need to take a closer look at the fuel tank.. What they are confirming is there is definitely a leak somewhere... It really sucks that they need to cut the deck just to see what's going on.... LOL.. So far, there are only 2 companies that can do a job like this where I live... As for the fuel tank, I was told from a lot of professionals to use the alum. tanks instead of the plastic tanks.. Also, I was told that the special coating is an added plus... Anyways, I will update more info as we go....

-Jeff

Your symptoms are what I just went through on my 2007 21se. Look through the posts you will find the story. The water you are getting is most likely coming through the underside of the tank through little coroded pin holes. The tanks sit in foam which holds water which eats away at the tank. My tank had 20-30 small holes. I would check all hoses seals fittings and anything that leads to the tank but do not replace at this point, its a few hundred bucks you do not need to spend yet. The tank pressure test is important however my tank passed 3 tests from 2 separate shops. Both sat and held pressure for 15-30 minutes. What happens is the foam sticks into the holes and the air is trapped inside but as the tank flexes with temps outside it sucks the sitting water into the tank like a syphon. To test this theory, which ultimately was the correct diagnosis, I had the tank drained and clean dry then filled with exactly 10 gallons of fresh gas. The next morning we had over 20 gallons pumped out. The water was pooled under the tank and the fuel mixture disintergrated the foam. My water intrusion was from a leaking pie plate in front of the console. I can answer any detailed questions at this point and if you want to call or text me feel free, I can send you pictures of everything as well.

Jesse 609-647-3282

-Jeff[/quote]

Your symptoms are what I just went through on my 2007 21se. Look through the posts you will find the story. The water you are getting is most likely coming through the underside of the tank through little coroded pin holes. The tanks sit in foam which holds water which eats away at the tank. My tank had 20-30 small holes. I would check all hoses seals fittings and anything that leads to the tank but do not replace at this point, its a few hundred bucks you do not need to spend yet. The tank pressure test is important however my tank passed 3 tests from 2 separate shops. Both sat and held pressure for 15-30 minutes. What happens is the foam sticks into the holes and the air is trapped inside but as the tank flexes with temps outside it sucks the sitting water into the tank like a syphon. To test this theory, which ultimately was the correct diagnosis, I had the tank drained and clean dry then filled with exactly 10 gallons of fresh gas. The next morning we had over 20 gallons pumped out. The water was pooled under the tank and the fuel mixture disintergrated the foam. My water intrusion was from a leaking pie plate in front of the console. I can answer any detailed questions at this point and if you want to call or text me feel free, I can send you pictures of everything as well.

Jesse 609-647-3282[/quote]

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the detail info.. Please see pic of inside the fuel tank.. They were able to see inside the tank thru the inspection hatch. I had to resize the pic so that I can post it.. If you look closely there are pitting and smaller holes due to I believe corrosion issues on the bottom of the fuel tank.. I agree with you that more than likely its happening from water that gets soaked from the foam that's under the fuel tank.. For me, since I'm deciding to keep the boat long term, I knew if not now, I will have to replace the fuel tank soon so I did not do the pressure test (Est. cost here in NorCal $500- $600) I just went ahead and ordered a new fuel tank from RDS with coal tar epoxy coating. I decided that I will be fixing it myself (with my friend helping).. I also do have the diagram I got from Parker Marine.. I will install the fuel tank with neoprene rubber underneath the tank in a few weeks when all the material gets here.. Wish me good luck.. :)

FYI, I also heard from other professionals that work on boats that the corrosion in alum. fuel tanks are more common than you think.. There are other great named boat manufactures who has or had similar problems.. My only minor complaint is that I wish it was easier to access the fuel tank for my boat... :)

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 746
From the looks of the picture that is exactly my same issue. I would bet all of the hoses lines etc are all fine, just the tank at this point. I have photos of the tear out if you want to see what your looking at under the deck. Text me, I will send them
To you. Jesse

If you take the time to replace a tank......By all means do not skimp and use the original hoses. Replace it all.

Jeff
After you layout where the sub framing members are per the drawing from Parker, take a drill with a 3/32 bit and confirm were they are supposed to be by finding the edges by drilling holes at 90 degrees about 3/16 to 1/4 apart until you feel that you are only going thru 1 layer . Mark these and check your new findings with the drawing. This will be a big help when you saw the deck. The sides of the coffin box where not exactly where they were supposed to be when I did mine
Capt. Charles

__ _______________._____________________
__________________.________________________

I just replaced the tank in my 2520. Same problem with water entering fuel tank compartment. Look under your gunwale where the fuel hose feeds through in to your tank the fiberglass feed through in mine stoped several inches short of the underside of the gunwale so anytime I washed the boat deck any splashed water just poured right into the fuel tank cavity. I installed drains all the way through to the rear bilge to drain the compartment. I recommend Kiwigrip for finishing the deck water-based and easy to put down. I also used epoxy for the new deck little more pricey but easier to use and less toxic

I had water in my tank thinking I needed to replace tank. Tank was ok. The water was coming in from the gas filter screw cap. $2 dollar O ring. Those 0 rings need to be greased or replace every two years. If you don’t cover your boat for winter put duck tape over the gas cap.

Back