2004 2520 prepurchase ?'s

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChumOn

Reaction score
Before I start just want to say this forum is a wealth of knowledge and I truly appreciate any energy anyone exerts in helping! So it's a 2004 2520 16° deadrise. Super clean everything's solid. Owner is a good friend and has taken care of of the boat. Honestly other than a new motor everything appears perfect for a 14 year old boat. For those that have been in this position would you replace or just roll w the existing 173 or 4 gallon tank? While stored non ethanol was the only fuel in it and the only times it had bad gas in it was when it would all be burnt out while on vacations. Even if it visually inspects and pressure test passes? Or do the tanks Parker uses back then last another decade? How about the wiring? I have no problem having a qualified professional redo the boat the way it needs and deserves... But what should i be looking at that's different from past restore jobs with other manufacturers?

I dont know and have 94 2320 and tank appears ok and no gas odor when the deck plate over tank sender is open or gas in bilge. Tank is 140 gal and plan to fill it up and check the area often. op of tank was fairly clean when I bought it

Maybe not the best way but pull the pie plate over tank sender and check if top of tank is real dirty and hatch has been leaking water. Sometimes the deck wood is bad around the hatch and another sign of leakage. When foam around the tank becomes wet it is tough to dry out and added a solar fan over the deck plate to keep area dry during storage and replaced deck plates and sealed well

I have a 2003 2520XL. The tanks are aluminum. Not sure why this would be a big concern for you. The older boats with fiberglass tanks were the ones with all the ethanol problems and needed to be replaced. But as you say this one never had ethanol. The problem you may have is ethanol cleans the tank and that's when you wind up with junk clogging the water separator and other filters. Change the water separator, and keep a spare on board along with a filter wrench incase it becomes clogged while underway, I've made a habit of keeping a spare on board ever since the introduction of ethanol. If you do introduce an ethanol gas you may wind up with this problem so be proactive and change the fuel separator's once a month for the first season. I hope this helps, Mike

Not sure why it worries me either. Other than on other foruns they discuss having to do it with relatively new boats. I just went through it but it was converting from diesel to gas not a corrosion issue. It was costly and wanted to know if others had to replace them... Not sure their useful life. Hoping to not have to cost this into the rebuild.

ChumOn":356yitdm said:
Not sure why it worries me either. Other than on other foruns they discuss having to do it with relatively new boats. I just went through it but it was converting from diesel to gas not a corrosion issue. It was costly and wanted to know if others had to replace them... Not sure their useful life. Hoping to not have to cost this into the rebuild.

Gotcha

Back