Are holes for the pedestal base sleeved?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
I am replacing the pedestals on my boat with shock mitigation posts.

When I removed the stock pedestal base, the screws appeared to be machine screws, fine thread. They are a nice snug fit and I just cant imagine they are getting that good a bite on the wood.

Anyway, I am thinking there might be some sort of threaded sleeve down in those holes that provide the expansion and bite. I can't see any but the holes are a good 2" deep.

Anyone know for sure?

Since the holes on the new pedestal do not quite line up with the old holes, I have to treat and fill the old holes and drill new ones. Should I use the same machine type screws or use a standard SS wood screw.

PS. There is absolutely no adhesive or caulk under the existing pedestal.

I am interested in your project, I installed a bulkhead second station and may install a pedestal seat to operate the boat from the cockpit. I was wondering what kind of screws it would take to hold it in place. I first thought it would be in the way but after thinking about it I realize I would be able to use it as my fishing seat also. My question is, what are shock mitigation posts? Good luck with your project

If the screws that came out are a machine thread, there is most likely an insert that they screw into.
Awhile back on another post, Dale posted a photo of machine screw inserts for someone who was installing radar (I think). If I can find that post, I'll link back to it.

THEGAME":1f4d1vkc said:
the pedestal seat have a backing plate under the floor

Makes perfect sense. Probably drilled and tapped for those machine screws.

THEGAME":2nkvlmds said:
yes i beleave therr molded in to the glass but they are there so redrilling wont work

In that case, I would have a thick/strong enough plate with the same bolt-circle as the molded-in plate, and of similar metal, welded to your new base. You could use your original pedestal as the template, or call Parker for the circle diameter. Your measurement will probably indicate a nominal diameter. Jim

On my (non-Parker) those machine screws fed into T-Nuts:
teeNutF.jpg

You might check w/ the factory before you assume there's a plate under the base that you can re-thread to your new base.

jeffnick":dan3i621 said:
You might check w/ the factory before you assume there's a plate under the base that you can re-thread to your new base.

Yep. I think I will. I was hoping to get it done on Sunday but it looks like I'll have to delay that.

Putting a backing plate under the deck sounds a little work and time intensive. These are production boats and I can't imagine Parker going through all that trouble, but maybe that's why they have the good reputation that they do.

I'll report back when I get an answer.

mark the new hole pattern (as long as the diameter is the same or close), drill it, tap it, bolt it on......done..........don't forget to seal holes this time around.

I wrote to Robin at the factory and got this speedy reply!

The pedestal is fastened down with machine screws.
There is a 12" X 12" aluminum plate that is laminated to the underside of
the floor. We drill through the plate and then tap threads into the plate to
secure the screws into. If your hole pattern does not match the existing
holes, they can be filled and you can drill and tap new holes for your
pedestal.

Problem solved. Now we know.

You know that is the one thing that sold me on buying a Parker. Someone that owns the place who isn't afraid to talk to past customers, even if it is purchased second or third hand. :shock: Yeah there are other boat manufacturers who probably do it to, but I like what I have seen so far.

I spent 30 years with manufacturers as a rep, and always tried to help those who purchased products made by the companies, even to the point of looking up bill of materials and blueprints from the archives to have the prototype shop build some "one off" samples of obsolete items for a customer 8)

I have been throughly impressed with the help that I have gotten from the great folks in Beaufort, and everyone here at CP.

The Otherline said

"PS. There is absolutely no adhesive or caulk under the existing pedestal."

Could this be to what is being referred? :? :)

TheOtherLine":12kdm1rz said:
Project done. Will let you know how well it works if I can get the boat out this weekend.

No project photos?! :shock: :)

Megabyte":2y2f1fcx said:
TheOtherLine":2y2f1fcx said:
Project done. Will let you know how well it works if I can get the boat out this weekend.

No project photos?! :shock: :)

YES! you have our interest :) Details PLLlleeeaaassee :D

Back