Boat Security

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gundog

Reaction score
Just wondering how others secure their boats while in a slip at a marina? Anybody add a lock to the door of their Parker? Other security ideas?

I picked a marina with good security. They have cameras ond condos over looking the boats.

DSCN0002.JPG-thumb_269_202.jpg

Well, with an open-back pilothouse that cannot be locked... that is about my only option. :D

Protected by: Mossberg 590 Marine, somewhat modified. :wink:

Megabyte,

I like the way you think! I like that shotgun too. Can't have enough guns around our place. One more seems necessary now!

:), I put a brass hasp and lock on my door, if someone wants your stuff, they will get it, but try to make it harder and more of a hassle, that is what I did !

You can buy real cheap noise makers that will discourage them from sticking around. They sell them at Wal-Mart for $20.00 and have magnetic contacts that you mount on the door or canvas. It is battery powered and will not drain your boat down. I have installed auto alarms and home style alarms as well and tied them into the boats hailer. Trust me they won't stick around with 130db of siren noise. There are more extensive measures if you are in a remote location that can call or page you if there is an incident. Best money spent on security is a sign that says security system on board and good lighting. Most thieves are not high tech and will go for the easy hit. I like the gun but only good if you are there to fire it. If you live close enough to protect your boat with a shotgun than chances are you wont need it.

I just installed a SS hasp on the door and installed a Columbia Alarm System. The marina where I used to keep my boat was great because the owner and his wife live right at the marina. They have an A-Frame right at the slips but now I am in a marina that is not as close to my house and so I don't get to go down to my boat 5 times a day like I used to do so I have more peace of mind having the extra security devices

1/4" stainless cable and a lock.
Not a bad idea.

I hope I never have to do that tho. :(

DanielB, where my boat is you can't steal the boat because there is only one way out of the pond and it is a 4.5 mile ride and you have to go past police, harbormaster station and the coast guard station. I just worry about the damage anyone would do stealing the goods. It is all insured to the max but who wants to deal with the bs of fixing everything they screw up. The alarm I installed was not too expensive and it covers every entry and also it covers my second station, if you undo a snap it goes off. Where I keep my boat in RI you don't always get to choose a marina because most of them are usually full

I agree FF, I don't know if this guy thinks I don't have insurance on my boat or what. I have tons of insurance on my boat and always have, I lost a boat last year in a freak storm and was not happy to have lost my boat but I came out of it as well as could be expected. I didn't just start boating and fishing, I have been at it for 55 years!

FishFactory":4utkhfcz said:
Insurance pretty worthless when I get ready to fish
and someone's stole the captain chairs. :wink:

Especially if there is a SeaSpension Shock Mitigating Pedestal under that Captains chair, big bucks

Attachments

• Parker Transom 177.JPG
    Parker Transom 177.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,957
More and more, marinas are adding good gate locks.

So mamy options on extra alarms.

Dana

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my suggestion of "insurance", but it is how I find my peace when my boat is unattended. I can't be bothered with alarms and such.

I bought one of these but only use it to keep the neighbors cat off my boat while it's in my backyard.
http://www.thewholesalediscountstore.co ... 28497.html

I don't like the idea of 'locking' your boat to the dock unless your dockmaster has a key, even then if it has to be moved it may be more trouble than it's worth to the folks dealing with an emergency.

FishFactory":8mdoqbcg said:
My (fortunately limited) experience w/crackhead thiefs is they will steal what they can get quick and easy.

Except for that poor bastard on THT selling a Kencraft that got his Yammies ripped off.

ryanc2":37efc0lh said:
FishFactory":37efc0lh said:
My (fortunately limited) experience w/crackhead thiefs is they will steal what they can get quick and easy.

Except for that poor bastard on THT selling a Kencraft that got his Yammies ripped off.

I agree keep good insurance, lock the boat, keep it in a well lit area if possible, cover the windows, do not keep anything that is easy to take in plain sight and quit worrying about it. I own a high end security company and most security just keeps honest people honest. Even an alarm system is useless if all it does is make a bunch of noise if no one is around to hear it. Let’s face it any lock or cable can be cut, if the door is locked glass breaks easy and I don’t care if you have to drive 2" past a police boat thief’s do not care and will do it. A police man is no threat if they do not know you are stealing the boat especially at 2am. If you are hell bent on catching someone get a security system with cellular and gps. That way you get notified as soon as there is an issue and can track the boat if stolen.

fishfactory":2nrnt0k8 said:
I weave a Lowe's "Kryptonite" (1/4" braided steel cable encapsulated in clear vinyl) thru the seat's top handholds, thru steering wheel, then teak hand hold on top of console, lock it. Another one secures boat to chainlink fence. Can't cut these cables w/boltcutters.
Wanna Bet? I've cut dozens of them with boltcutters.

Back