Has anyone removed captain's chair?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking mine out, I don't use it that much as I usually stand. It gets in the way more than anything...I'm curious if anyone has done that and if there are any pictures and feedback.

what are you going to put in its place? I had my chairs out one day when i was out to have the base fixed on it and i realized that i could not stand and drive without resting on the seat because of the way the floor in the pilothouse steps up. Dont know if thats just a 2530 thing or not. but i have thought about it too but cant think of what to put in its place. Its too nice to be able to sit when idling around the ICW.

I'm thinking about puting nothing in its place...just an open floor. I never thought about needing to lean back on the seat though.

Brian S":27j9mqzd said:
I'm thinking about puting nothing in its place...just an open floor. I never thought about needing to lean back on the seat though.

My guess is that, that's going to get old real fast....

At at minimum, having a leaning post would give your legs some relief. But who needs a leaning post when you can just slide your seat back and.....lean on it.

i stand and lean back against the chair about 90 percent of the time.

i too have thought about removing the seat pedestal/seat. a hinged seat to the PH wall would be a cool thing. i have not seen one in action yet.

If I ever replaced my seat, it would be for a pedestal base with a leaning post pad on it.
I lean against my seat all the time.

just pull the seat off and give it a shot next time you are out and see if you have the same problem that i did. Mine was pretty easy to pull straight off. youll just have the pole there.

Brian,

I lean on mine most of the time also. Do you have an autopilot? Sorry I can’t remember. I do sit down when I’m making the crossing to the island and back and I think a trip to SCI would be brutal with out a seat. When I’m moving around the island I usually stand. I think it comes down to what you are planning to put there. I’ve thought about making that space more usable but if I do it ruins the other spaces along and to the rear of the pilothouse. If you could come up with something usable to take it’s place it just may be more beneficial to you and worth it. I do think it would have to be something I could lean on. Personally I can’t give up the seat although I thought a lot about changing it into a storage bench of some kind. The one thing I would really like on my boat is a permanent Ice chest for food. I’ve just never been able to make on fit, yet. :wink: Good luck, let us know what you decide. You may be on to something here.

S O L U T I O N !

Buy the single-wide leaning post from Arrigoni Designs ... remove your seat ... install leaning post pad. Presto! You're in business :D .

lptwotexta.jpg

Source: http://www.arrigonidesign.com/leanpost.htm

If you are interested in a leaning post which also provides you some comfort, you may want to look into the Seaspension shock-absorbing pedestals. This way you can lean into it, and when jolts start coming when running on plane, the shock absorber will take the pounding for you. In fact, if space is an issue, there are smaller 'buttpads' available, but still allow you to 'take a load off".
Search for "shock-mitigating seats" in the threads, or go to seaspension.com.

Peter, Good to hear from you and good idea.

For those that don't know you and in the interest of transparency, you may want to start out future posts letting people know that you manufacture that product. Keeps you from becoming a real commericial :D

Absolutely - great suggestion. We had done a prior post reply on the same subject (shock-mitigation) and had prefaced it with "full disclosure", but didn't think to do it again this time. These forums are still relatively new to us, and I hope to become much more active. So for all to note, we are the manufacturer of the Seaspension shock-absorbing pedestals, of which I am the president. Please ask in whatever format any questions you may have on shock-mitigation in general, or on our product specifically, and we'll try to answer as best we can.
By the way, since we have started paying more attention to the Parker boat family, we have received quite a bit of interest in owners wanting to retrofit their boats. Who knows, if we can get enough inquiries, we may want to do something special for the Parker boat owners. Let me know. Thanks.

I checked out the Arrigoni website and found A MARK 6 seat & leaning flip up cushion combo. Answers a lot of problems. Check it out.

" BEAN "

Peter's Post":1msmfv5l said:
.....By the way, since we have started paying more attention to the Parker boat family, we have received quite a bit of interest in owners wanting to retrofit their boats.

Who knows, if we can get enough inquiries, we may want to do something special for the Parker boat owners. Let me know. Thanks.

Just curious, has any CP member (other than me) actually purchased the Shock mitigating posts or has it been just "inquiries". If so, tell them to get on the forum and tell us what they think.

Please make sure you let us know about any special offers to CP members. I've replaced one post and have one more to go.

Yes, we've had a Parker dealer in Florida purchase some for a customer. I am not sure what the end-user's comments may have been, but we will encourage him to post something about his experience.
There have been several inquiries as well as a result of the CP site, and have also met with others recently who have Parker boats. The latter came as a result of a Navy Expeditionary Force show we recently attended, and those guys understand extreme shock loads. They either have a personal Parker boat, or have a friend who owns a Parker. Kind of funny when you quote him a pedestal for his own 25' Parker, and at the same time he want quotes for a 60' and 65' that the Navy owns.

Yes, I knew about the seats that went on a 28'. The end user told me about the install. I won't say who it was unless he chooses to come "out" about his purchase.

Now I'm curious about the Navy guy that owns a Parker......we've got a lot of military guys on this site. I'll have to find out who that was. :!:

I just installed a EZ Swivel Removable Pedestal seat at the second station in my cockpit. I is nice because if I don't want it there I can remove it with no effort. Little pricey but to me it is worth it. I replaced the Parker uncomfortable captains seat and put in a Tempress Folding seat which is very comfortable.

Attachments

• 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,443
The Navy guy is a person who is attached to an interesting project called Navy Expeditionary Overwatch Program. It ties land, sea and air surveillance capabilities together with manned or unmanned vehicles. They have a Fabio Buzzi (spelling?) 38' gun boat marketed by Brunswick Commercial and Gov't Div., which system is supported by Seaspension to counter the shocks transmitted to the hull. This is to protect either lethal or non-lethal payloads. I met him recently on a seatrial we did last June in Va. In order to protect his privacy, that is all I can say at this point.

Note to PPM45: Can you tell me how deep that stanchion (post) goes down into the base? Do you ever sit in it when underway?
I have looked at these systems before, and it makes me wonder what it would take to have the pedestal either come out of its hold, or possible snap off due to the smaller tube size. It works probably great when you stand and take it out if you don't need it (no sarcasm intended) :) .

Back