Steering wheel removal?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamaster

Reaction score
Hi all
I want to install a stereo at the helm, and I think I need to remove the steering wheel in order to make the cut-out. I have never looked at it, how do I go about removing it?
Any info is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Rich

When I took mine off to install a gps I used a puller. The puller I used had 2 arms with hooks on them and a bolt down the center. It wasn't the right tool for the job but it worked.

I usually just loosen the nut, but leave it ON (so the wheel doesn't knock your teeth out) and then wrap on the hub with a wooden or plastic mallet while someone else rocks the wheel and pulls t off ... or at least tries to. I've never needed a puller, but it sure would make the job go faster.

REMEMBER to leave the nut on a turn or two :shock: when using this method!

i changed my steering wheel out two seasons ago - i bought kevin's old wheel and replaced my OEM parker wheel...

even after nearly 20 years i just loosened the nut, hit the shaft with wd40, and gave it a light rap with a rubber mallet

to remove the steering wheel, do i remove the center black cap? I tried popping it off, but it is stuck on good. I tried taking a heat gun to the top to warm it up, but did not budge.

Do you know if they sell the steering wheel cap replacement in case i bust mine apart?

NVm, put some wd40 on the cap and slowly worked it off. steering wheel popped off with no force.

Check for a small set screw holding the cap on. It will be in the metal part....and have friction on the plastic cap.

They are notorious for being stuck. If you get it loose....a little dab of antiseze will go a long way.

Back