Parker 25PH Major Overhaul

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodChance

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a MOH of a 1986 Parker 25 PH to include new fuel cells, lines, Awlgrip Paint (inside and out), removal of bottom paint, new cabin seating arrangement to include a small mahogany port-side table, and new rubrail.

Immediate question is this: what rub rail style is best used on a Parker? I'm looking at Hamilton style 188-R or maybe 457-R.

Please include pictures as you do your renovations. Always interesting to view others ideas and changes made to Parker Boats.

Last week was kinda busy. Accomplished:

1) Cut 4x5ft section of the aft deck and replaced fuel hoses. Did general inspection of tank (all looked great). Inspected stringers and deck for any signs of rot .... found absolutely zero; replaced deck and epoxied back into place using cabosil/epoxy on the hull stringer to deck joint and biaxial/epoxy on the seams
2) removed rub rail
3) removed all deck hardware in preparation for painting
4) constructed and installed a bow pulpit (I don't like the factory pulpits and way too expensive and can make a nicer one that better fits the contours of a Parker).
5) and powerwashed/sanded all the old copper bottom paint in preparation to be painted.

Attachments

• 100_0253.JPG
    100_0253.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 3,560
  • 100_0249.JPG
    100_0249.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 7,350
Thanks Bryan.

Yes, I would love to still own the Duffy; that was/is an absolutely GREAT boat. The best boat that I have ever owned. Last December we bottomed fished for tog 25miles off the Delaware coast in a Noreaster (30-35kts wind) in a true 6-8ft sea and never fely unsafe. The trip home was a bit slower than 17kts normal cruise but it was a safe trip home. But a career change brought me to FLA and I now have my Dad's Parker. The Parker has served us very well over the past 20 years of our ownership and she deserves a MOH.

mildew2":1sypkf9a said:
Please include pictures as you do your renovations. Always interesting to view others ideas and changes made to Parker Boats.

This thread would be perfect in the Projects section, if you would be willing to have it be moved there.
I'm sure our members would love to watch your progress (I know I would!).

Absolutely, move it to projects and keep this thread running.

Goodchance, I'd like to request some pictures of the stuff we normally don't see in the forum.

Like, stringers, decks remove, areas under the pilothouse if you did that far, etc.

Cool thread! Seems some older Parkers are getting to the age where there deserve major overhauls similar to the Seacraft and Mako guys.

Bryan -

I meant to take a photo of the stringers when I had the deck opened up but forgot and I hands were full of cabosil by the time I remembered.

I can tell you that there are 6 full height stringers (from the hull to the deck). There is no stringer on the CL as there is on some boats and Parker is on the right line-of-thought by not putting a stringer on CL. The 2 inner-most stringers are 12" apart and each are 16" apart outward from there. The factory actually "tabbed" the plywood floor (deck) to each stringer using polyester resin and a 1.5" (wide) string of chopped-mat placed on top of each of the 6 stringers. So in effect, your deck is not only fastened to the stringers with hardware (bronze ring nails) but also with fiberglass.

Kevin -

I'm glad taht this thread was moved to the Projects. Thanks.

Thanks Bryan. For a Cliff Notes version of that 14 page thread, simply look at the pictures on page 1 and then quickly flip to pages 13 and 14. That was a 25-month long project. I anticipate the Parker being 2-3 months.

I'm going to read through the whole Duffy post, but I'm already impressed.
Take lots of photos! :)

Just got done reading through the Duffy post, amazing work!!! I have to admit i read through the whole thing and when it came to the part of you having to sell her i actually felt a little of that pain, truly amazing project and an amazing end product!!!

The Nida-core back has been tabbed into place and everything else is just dry-fit for now. As you can see, the "mahogany table" and "seat" are cardboard for now ..... it's much easier to cut into a "free" piece of shipping cardboard than into a $200 section of 20" wide-plank mahogany when you are making a "one-off" design. All of these designs are made "on-the-fly" based upon what seems to be most functional in a limited space while remaining aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Often times this is a game of inches and small modifications can yield big results; hence the cardboard.

Over in the "corner" under the window of the aft-facing seat, I think that I am going to install a small set of drawers for storage of lead sinkers, sissors, jig heads, etc. Make it out of 3/8" poly-board.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 7,125
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 7,125
Bryan 2530":mfan2q6f said:
In case the CP brethren don't know who you're dealing with here, check this out.....

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewT ... 832&page=1

8) 8) 8)

OMG, that Duffy rebuild from a burnt marshmellow IS THE BEST boat restoration on-line I have ever seen!

Fantastic A++++ ... or as only a guy from boston can say ... WICKED AWESOME!

I had moved this into the Projects forum, but this post merits being a 'sticky' so it stays at the top of the list!

GoodChance":36f0gnu6 said:
..... it's much easier to cut into a "free" piece of shipping cardboard than into a $200 section of 20" wide-plank mahogany when you are making a "one-off" design.
Haha, I hear you! That's what I used when I put my galley into the same spot you're putting that dinette. LOVE the pictures, keep 'em coming!

I agree Dale. I signed up for noreast.com just to be able to read the whole thread.
Thought I was doing something wrong when I went to move this thread, but finally realized you'd already beat me to it. :)

I love these kind of projects!

i live 20 minutes away on the other side of the Skyway.

.................been known to Sawzall a Parker or two. PM me if you need an extra set of hands.

Back