New ClassicParker User Map

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Note: Since this is a completely re-done version of the CP user map, I have created a new sticky and locked the old thread to prevent confusion.

Classic Parker User Map

This is a fun way to see where ClassicParker users are located and what size boat they have. It uses the information in your user profile to determine your Lat/Lon and plot it on the map. A stickpin is shown with the user name, and a number inside the stickpin indicates the size of the boat you have (eg 18/21/23/25, etc).

This version of the map can be viewed using Google Maps through any web browser, so it shouldn't matter whether you have a PC/Mac or Linux box. Also, there is a link at the bottom of the map to download the KML file and view in GoogleEarth if you have it installed on your machine.

Click here to view the map: ClassicParker User Maphttp://mapalist.com/Public/PublicMapViewerShell.aspx?mapid=79930http://mapalist.com/Public/PublicMapViewerShell.aspx?mapid=79930http://mapalist.com/Public/PublicMapViewerShell.aspx?mapid=79930

Please note the following:

1. This is NOT Real-Time Data

This is a manual process where I take a snapshot of the current user database, extract out the username, location and boat fields and upload to the mapping application for processing. So if you go and update your user profile, it will not automatically be reflected on the map until the next time I do an update.

2. Garbage-In/Garbage-Out

If you aren't showing up on the map, check your Profile (link above) and make sure your "Location" field is set to "City, ST" or something similar. This is an automated process and the application does its best to convert your "Location" to a Lat/Lon.

If you want to be more specific than "City, ST" you can enter any geographic placename that Google Maps is able to resolve to a single place. The easiest thing to do is to go to GoogleMaps and type something in to the search field. You could specify a street address, a placename with a state, like "Ring's Island, MA" or even a Latitude/Longitude.

If GoogleMaps can find your location when you search on it, you can enter it into your location field. Make sure you read item #1 above first.

3. Multiple Users in Same Location

Unfortunately, the web version of the mapping application can only show one pushpin for each geographic location. So if there are three users in the same city, only one of them will be shown on the map. This is a limitation of the mapping application.

You have two options - enter in a different location in your profile, or view the map using GoogleEarth (see below). You can also try entering a LAT/LON or other geographic placename in your profile.

4. Google-Earth

The map can also be loaded into GoogleEarth, if you have it installed on your computer. There is a link at the bottom of the map to download the KML file and view in GoogleEarth.

Note that the GoogleEarth version has the ability to show more than one pushpin at the same location. Clicking on a pin will expand it to show all the users in the same location.

Unfortunately, the mapping application also seems to have a bug, where there are some duplicates shown for the same username.

Also note that the GoogleEarth file does not automatically update itself. So when you download the KML file, you are saving the current view of the user map. If any updates are made to the map, you will have to download a new version of the KML file.

5. Signature Data

Right now, if you click on a user's pushpin, it will expand to show their signature data. Depending on whether they have an Avatar or a link to an external one, etc.. your results may vary. I will do some experimenting to see if its possible to link in external images.

Enjoy...

-- Tom

Updated user map on 12/27/2008.

The link has changed, so be sure to click/bookmark the new one above.

The pushpins are GREEN on the new map. If you are seeing blue pushpins, then you are still pointing to the old map.

-- Tom

Are you still keeping this updated? Maybe we could automate it by getting a text extract of the user listing.

I'll do an update in the next couple of days if folks are interested. So for all the new users, please read the first post and edit your profile with your location if you want to be included.

-- Tom

Ok, map has been updated to capture the latest user data. Now showing around 730 users locations.. some more accurate than others :)

-- Tom

Guys, please note there is a zoom in / out control on the upper left hand side. You can also 'drag and drop' the map to pan around.

-- Tom

sbieleck,

Yes, I looked into it and it appears that you are a victim of issue #3 in my first post. There are 5 users in West Palm Beach, and the map can only show one icon per location.

However, if you view it in GoogleEarth (rather than Googlemaps) you can see all the users in each location.

Sorry, but nothing I can do there.

-- Tom

Back