Trip to the mouth of the Chesapeake

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sslocum

Reaction score
I have been talking to my brothers about taking a trip from the Middle River area down to the mouth of the bay this summer. Has anyone on here done that? Any good places to anchor up and fish along the way. Any other tips would be appreciated. I have a 2120 SC and was figuring to make it down to solomons on the first day. Would love to get some local knowledge about good places to stop along the way.

Never done it before but it sounds fun. Hopefully you will get a week of good weather and light winds, that is a long run in a 21 footer.

Don't know much about the trip down, but I suggest contacting Dimitri or his wife Josie at Bubba's Marina for dock space when you get down here. Their fine marina/restaurant is right at Lynnhaven Inlet. I have rented a slip from them for years and they run a really professional place. Plus - he knows what's biting as many boats wiegh in at his place. Call them at 757-481-3513 to set things up. Website - http://www.bubbasmarina-seafood.com/

Given the right weather, you could easily do that trip in two segments if you wanted to.
Middle River to Solomons... then from there on to the CBBT.
Roughly 65 nautical miles per day.

That'd be an excellent adventure!

Thanks for the information so far. Please keep it coming. I will update as I plan and hopefully execute the trip. I was thinking July before it gets too hot. I like the idea of doing it in two legs as that was kind of what I was planning. Do a little trolling on the way down to Solomons and then anchor up for some night fishing for spot and croaker. I know a good spot by the Navy pier in Solomons. After that I will have to play it loose since I haven't been any further down the bay.

Willoughby Bay is an excellent spot to anchor overnight. No through traffic, calm seas, protected from weather, generally quiet, and there is a public landing right there with a porta-John (for those moments when you need to leave something OFF the boat). Lots of room to swing on the hook. Good fishing nearby at the Hampton Roads Tunnel, just stay on the proper side of the daymarkers. About 14 miles from the bay entrance.

We keep a Parker 2100 CC in Quinby, VA on the eastern shore. We often trailer her over to the bay, and cruise the lower bay. Drop in at Onancock, Harborton, Cape Charles, Kiptopeke, etc. Many places to go, great fishing, lots of water. Stop off at Bay Creek Marina in Cape Charles. One of the nicest marinas on the east coast. Some of the best fishing is around the Chesapeake bay bridge and tunnel. Bubba's is a fun place to stop. Willoughby Bay is also a great stop. Watch the weather down here. It can get nasty in a hurry. We keep our Parker on the sea side, but do almost all of our cruising in the bay.

Pug

Welcome aboard Pug!
We like the Kipto/Cape Charles/Cherrystone area too. :)
Good fishin!

Quinby has a fantastic marina, but it's real hard to get in and out of. Don't try it at low tide.

On the way down, stop off at Smith Island and Tangier Island. Both in the middle of the bay, and both are easy to get in and out of. It's like going back 30 years in time. There are also a number of wonderful places to stop off on the western side of the bay in VA, but we haven't found enough time to get over there. (Solomons, Deltaville, Kilmanock, etc.)

Pug

Pugster":312vi3ru said:
There are also a number of wonderful places to stop off on the western side of the bay in VA, but we haven't found enough time to get over there. (Solomons, Deltaville, Kilmanock, etc.)

Add Reedville VA to that list on the western shore and Cape Charles VA on the eastern. :wink:

Pugster.. You forgot to tell him about the Tiki Bar near Bay Creek. Great place to throw the hook and a party!

Been busy "fishin' on the seaside. Will check it out next time over on the bayside.

Pug

Back