• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Towing Vehicle

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardelucas

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2003 Parker 2120 Sport Cabin. I have calculated boat, motor, trailer, fuel, and gear to weigh 5000 pounds. I need to buy a vehicle to tow this boat with. I plan to get a used vehicle either an SUV or small truck. My problem is thjat my garage is rather small and a large SUV or truck will make life miserable in my garage and local covenants restrict trucks left outside.

I would appreciate some suggestions from 2120 owners about what is the best medium sized vehicle to tow this boat with.

Thanks,
Ed Lucas

I have pulled my 2120 with both a Ford F150 and now with a Silverado 4X4. Both will do just fine. I prefer a 4X4 because some ramps that I use have a steep incline and you know slime build-up is going to happen on the sumerged ends of ramps.

I recently bought a 2003 Parker 2120 Sport Cabin. I have calculated boat, motor, trailer, fuel, and gear to weigh 5000 pounds. I need to buy a vehicle to tow this boat with. I plan to get a used vehicle either an SUV or small truck. My problem is thjat my garage is rather small and a large SUV or truck will make life miserable in my garage and local covenants restrict trucks left outside.

Same boat & same problems. The boat and aluminum I beam trailer weigh 6,100 with full tank of gas. I used a AWD Mercury Mountaineer from the time I bought the boat in '05 til recent trade on F-150 with max tow package. The Mountaineer towed her coast to coast and made many trips to points on the ICW. No problems. I really liked the AWD for slippery ramps and towing on wet pavement. Half the miles I put on the Mountaineer were with the Mokee Dugway tucked in behind. Caveat here: I rarely tow over 60 mph.

I went with the F-150 because it will fit in my garage (tightly) and I want to buy a TT. Also, I'm 6'2 and 265 and the Mountaineer was a little tight on the longer trips. Did I mention that it gets better mpg.

Hope this helps.

some might think it overkill but i prefer a 3/4 ton 4x4. you decide what brand. the 3/4 ton will handle the load and should have the transmission to handle pulling the load.

make sure the trailer brakes are in good working condition so you dont end up like this

Attachments

• bad brakes.jpg
    bad brakes.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,853
Of course you might want to check with the admiral first :roll:

Attachments

• jd[1] (Medium).jpg
    jd[1] (Medium).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,821
A suv or small truck might do the job in a pinch but a 3/4 ton with 4x4 will give you better towability. Don't forget good brakes. I have a ram 2500 with the 5.9 cummins. It has full disc brakes. Avoid drums if possible since when they heat up the drum expands and they can fail. Disc brakes will work better when they heat up. The 06 and older don't have the smog package (CA), get 18-22mpg, and have all the power you need. Plus if you tow up and down hills and such ad an exaust brake and you are set. Look for the late 1990's with the 12 valve 5.9 cummins shortbed. That should fit in the garage, do all the needed towing, less expensive, and look good towing a Porsche I mean Parker.
Good luck. Don't be hasty shop around and ask lots of questions.
ej wharf rat :wink:

hello, first timer here just purchaced a 2008 2120 w/ 150 yamaha(162 hrs ) my tow vehicle is 2012 Toyota Tacoma DC. My very first trip was 65 miles with 20 gallons of fuel in boat , :D :D around 5000lbs.give or take truck towed great plenty of power and a safe cruising speed @55mph. :D . I can't seem to get the BIG smile off my face is this normal???

I can't seem to get the BIG smile off my face is this normal???
Pretty much! I still have my smile after 8 yrs.

truck towed great plenty of power and a safe cruising speed @55mph.
And a lot easier on your equipment at 55mph. Seems nobody can stand looking at my transom anyway regardless of how fast I'm driving.

03 2500 4WD GMC for me...it will tow just about anything and the bucket seats are comfortable..Ive done a few 18 hours straight thru trip in just my 2 centavos :lol:

I have a 2003 2120 also, my tow vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with tow package, no problems at all!

Hello, I own a 2012 Parker 2120 and tow with a 2007 Ford F150 2wd supercrew w/ the 5.4 triton. I never have a problem: i've towed from Tampa to Marathon Key, from Jacksonville to Crystal River: 1/2 ton truck will do PERFECT for your job..that new max tow F150 is rated to tow 11,300 (which will be my next truck once Ford puts more rebates into the mix in the next week). My Ford dealership called me yesterday asking me to consider trading in my 07 lariat supercrew for '14 F150 as sales are down with the new 2015 getting a face lift. Everyone's holding out on new F150 sales to check out the redesigned 2015. Deals are about to be had per the dealership in the next week.

2002 Yukon with towing pack with Pocono and Adirondack mountains without a problem. Good trailer brakes is a key.

Back