• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

fuel vent and moisture issues in fuel?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wharf rat

Reaction score
I just bought an 06 2120sc and fiiled the fuel tank with entirely new feul. I added ring sealer and stabilizers. Should I do anything with the fuel vent? Should I plug it up? Is there any standard winterizing procedures here or what? Does the vent even permit moisture to enter the tank? Any insight would help. It is pooring out here in northern California. :roll:

"If" ethanol-laden fuel, like E10, myself and many others prefer to leave out boats with the fuel treated, but as low as we can possibly get it. Next Spring, I'd rather add higher octane fresh fuel on top of what was left in there, than to take the chance the tank goes 'bad'.

Most marinas and boatyards demand you leave them topped off, but that is due to fire & insurance reasons, as a full tank is less of an explosive risk than an empty one ...

Well, if its an '06 like mine, you might want to be more concerned with saltwater being sucked through your fuel vent. After spending $2100 on new yamaha fuel pumps, $500 to polish my tank, Parker sent out a $3.00 starboard vent clamshell as an "unregistered recall". Before the clamshell, my mechanic hooked up a water bottle to the inside part of my fuel vent. On a rough day, I took in about a cup of saltwater. My engine and fuel system have never been right since.

Not necessarily helping with your question, but figured I'd comment on the topic of fuel vents on Parker's...

wharf rat":39m5wf5m said:
I just bought an 06 2120sc and fiiled the fuel tank with entirely new fuel.
Ouch - be AWARE, as this was posted in the January timeframe (old post) ... but filling a tank fuel in cold weather can mean that it will expand in warmer temperatures and the excess could stain the hull as it exits thru the vent. E10 fuels make permanent stains to boot ...

That's why you hear jet planes talk about pounds of fuel remaining, as the volume fluctuates greatly with temperature, i.e., take-off in 90-degree humid weather and cruise @ 25K feet where the temps are below zero in the atmosphere.

Back