• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

What is a reasonable autopilot system?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wharf rat

Reaction score
Am interested in an autopilot system for my boat. I have an 06 2120dvsc with a Yamaha F150. I have a Lowrance HDS 5 GPS/FF. Square comand link gauges. Any insight on this one folks? :? :? :?

I have the RM S1000 AP and have been very happy with it.
Works like a charm and inexpensive

I also have one that works great at 10 mph +speed but you cannot troll at slow speed with it.

I just bought A Simrad AP 2403 with virtual rudder feedback for $2,200...havent had it installed yet but was quoted $800-$1000. I researched a lot and this unit had great reviews. I was told to look at Sitex SP110 if I wanted to save $5-600 on the hardware. Jim at BOE is very helpful...I'd contact him for specific questions.

Can't wait to try mine out this spring.

The best and lowest priced AP right now is the Raymarine EV150. And it's a very easy unit to install.

You can mount the heading sensor (compass) anywhere unlike other systems. Just keep the compass 3 ft or more away from any large metal objects (including batteries, stereo equipment and the AP pump). Mount the AP pump close to the helm pump. Make a hydraulic "t" off the helm and connect to the AP pump. Mount the AP computer. Get a speed input from the GPS to the computer. Calibrate. Done.

It took me 8 hours to mount mine and that's going really slow. I could do another in 4-5 hours depending upon my newly learned experience.

I just installed the lorwance hydraulic steering and AP this summer. It worked great at trolling speed. It also will work at cruising speed, but I don't use it to much for cruising to many logs and debris to hit at 30mph. The install was really straight forward, maybe 4hrs. The whole install was in the steering station, except of the heading sensor. It really helped my solo trolling, I just set it, and head back to my downriggers and can set up the rods without doing circles. Also the 180 degree turn that is pre-programed works great with my downriggers, didn't tangle the lines once over a weekend with three rods down.

moose8420":3fx55yfs said:
I just installed the lorwance hydraulic steering and AP this summer. It worked great at trolling speed. It also will work at cruising speed, but I don't use it to much for cruising to many logs and debris to hit at 30mph. The install was really straight forward, maybe 4hrs. The whole install was in the steering station, except of the heading sensor. It really helped my solo trolling, I just set it, and head back to my downriggers and can set up the rods without doing circles. Also the 180 degree turn that is pre-programed works great with my downriggers, didn't tangle the lines once over a weekend with three rods down.

If you are tolling and are alone on the boat and you set the AP ...... and you are also working the lines/cockpit, I hope that you have an auto-tether to the boat. Please don't be one of the statistics that we all-too-often read about.

GoodChance":3aslm4t4 said:
moose8420":3aslm4t4 said:

If you are tolling and are alone on the boat and you set the AP ...... and you are also working the lines/cockpit, I hope that you have an auto-tether to the boat. Please don't be one of the statistics that we all-too-often read about.

You are correct. I've only ever done that kind of trolling during our local salmon derby, There were a 100 other boats all fishing on-top of each other. But I will have to find a tether for future trips.

Raymarine Evolution Autopilots are absolutely spectacular. I’ve been running the Evolution EV-200 for 4+ years and during that period it has been “ENGAGED” for 780 hours which equates to 85% of operating hours of the engine during that period. Does everything it’s supposed to do.

When I installed my autopilot Raymarine choices were either the Evolution EV-100 or the Evolution EV-200. I didn’t wanna risk the Evolution EV-100 not being “enough” so I went for the more powerful unit. With the advent of the Evolution EV-150, that strikes me as the perfect autopilot for a s/e Parker.....

Back