2520 Sport Cabin mod-V repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
Yes folks, I thought I was going to "sell her" by now and it wasn't as much as the intervention by Capt Kevin (Megabyte) and Brad (Parker) that twisted my arm ... as much as it was my local dealer (who months ago had no suitable motors) but who recently called me with a deal that I just can't pass up. I pulled my 'big girl' the other day to add a new(er) Evinrude all-Bomb-made direct injected 2-stroke, with ~300-hours on it, onto the stern.

Since I run a fuel computer linked to instantaneous MPG readouts from the GPS chartplotter, and run over-size trim tabs (24x9) ... I will admit that I can't wait to see what the "after" performance is like. Not a bad photo from my cell phone, huh?

Attachments

• Haul-Out2.jpg
    Haul-Out2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 3,402
Awesome Dale!
Photo is great!!!

Gotta say that those old Ocean Runner / Ocean Pro motors always seemed to be bullet proof.
I had a 90 hp version on my old 17 Dusky deep vee, and that 90 would push her to 35kts in flat water with full fuel and 2 aboard.

Congratulations!
Give us some performance and fuel burn numbers once you've had a chance to give her a go.

So ... is this the motor?

Attachments

• 300hp Evinrude.jpg
    300hp Evinrude.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,338
Bryan 2530":j3uo2xgv said:
That is a gas guzzler, I thought you said direct injection?
I did ... was just teasing, as there was this monster of an OB in the boatyard next to me. Here's the new power, re-mapped to 250hp few year old JohnnyRude by Bombardier.

Attachments

• 250hp Evinrude.jpg
    250hp Evinrude.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,309
Make sure you check for fuel leaks on the pressure port on the fuel manifold, we have had a few of those go up in flames on startup down here. Miky's old Aquasport was one of them . Ethanol eats the valve o ring then boom! 80 psi fuel spraying on electrical components.

Other than that, good luck with the new Power!!! 8) 8) 8)

I had a 2003 Johnson oil inject and carbs loved it, not one issue ever.

Bryan 2530":16r819j3 said:
Make sure you check for fuel leaks on the pressure port on the fuel manifold, we have had a few of those go up in flames on startup down here. Miky's old Aquasport was one of them . Ethanol eats the valve o ring then boom! 80 psi fuel spraying on electrical components.
Yup, ahead of you there - whew! While Bomb never acknowleged a recall (design was compliant for E10 fuel), they did provide an upgrade in the event fuels exceed 10% ethanol. This puppy has the upgrade kit installed.

FYI, many motors of all brands didn't survive the 1st round of E10 introduction ... can't imagine the consequences if our dim-witted Politicians ever implement E20 or > fuels :shock: !

Not sure if E15 was covered anywhere else Dale but EPA approved it this summer for gas stations on newer cars. For those that get gas at gas stations, will have to read signs closer as the transition goes.

Dana

One more question, how high is your engine mounted with respect to the cavatation plate to the boat lowest point. Again we have the same boat and my engine is about 3-4 inch higher than the bottom of the v.

thanks,
Paul

captbone":3hiog7e9 said:
Any updates? How does it run compared to your 225hp Oceanrunner carb?
Not installed yet .. hold on ...

fishenmission":3hiog7e9 said:
One more question, how high is your engine mounted with respect to the cavatation plate to the boat lowest point. Again we have the same boat and my engine is about 3-4 inch higher than the bottom of the v.
I ALWAYS put my motors as hign as I can run them ...

Like most women wearing the wrong size bra ... most boats are rigged wearing the wrong size prop (too tall a pitch), with the motor hung too deep to boot! At least from my experience ...

I want my vent plate (there is NO cavitation plate on an OB motor) above the surface of the water at crusing speed.

My name is Hannibal and I approve this message ........

photobucket-2036-1338422129700.jpg

DaleH":3mwuj39s said:
Here's the new power, [edit: for the 2011 end-of-season] ... a 6-year old JohnnyRude by Bombardier.
file.php
[/quote]

If you haven't followed the saga of my Parker that started Classic Parker, that OB detonated on me whilst offshore, but my insurance company paid off for a new powerhead, which I in turn used as a deposit on a new Suzuki 250hp puppy to begin the 2012 season, per viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11928 .

file.php

Suzuki DF250 Repower update:

First impressions – No noise, no smoke and no OB shaking at idle. The start-up sequence is 5 to 15-minutes idle before putting into gear, per the break-in procedure. I was at idle with the boat still on the trailer, OB in the water, when my brother got out of the tow vehicle, walked down the ramp and asked “Why haven’t you started it?” He was only 10’ away, but on the off-side of the pee port, so he couldn’t see the cooling water discharge … and even though is was a cold and rainy 58-degree day the other week when I launched her … she idled smooth and quiet and with zero smell or smoke. The rest of that day was varying headway to semi-cruising speeds to 3K max RPMs.

4-Hour Break-In Update:
I have 4-hours on her as of now. Turned screws for 4000 RPMs (max I can do for now per the break-in), and that gave me 27-28mph and 2.7-2.8mpg. This was with a crew of 4 adults and 4 kids on board, with all typical gear carried (less tuna gear [not left on the boat]) and 60-gallons of fuel aboard.

Zero stray 'noises' reasonate from either the hull or cabin and at cruise one can carry on a conversation easily. The only time I hear the infamous Suzi "growl" (sounds really AWESOME to me, akin to the Allsion engine in the WWII P-51 Mustangs pulling full manifold pressure!) is when accelerating up onto plane. At cruise speeds she's quiet. At idle headway speeds and with the full transom you need to look at the OB pee port (or the tach) to confirm that she is indeed still running ...

The motor appears to be mounted too deep, too much spray around the lower leg, but I anticipated that and can change it later. I have to use the trim tabs much more than I should too, but that is either due to the OB mounted too deep or the design of the huge 16” diameter Suzi prop adds bow lift, which some prop blade designs do.

Regardless, I’ll have to wait for the 10-hour break-in to be done before I can come up with any hard conclusions. More repower updates to follow ...

Back