Checking boat power steering fluid???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaPA

Reaction score
I took my Dad out on my boat recently and he seemed to think I was having to over steer the boat to keep it straight.

He pointed out to me on the base of the steering wheel where some type of fluid is put in and I assume it's similar to power steering fluid.

He said if I got a mechanic to put some "fluid" in there, it would help with the over steering problem.

Is anybody famaliar with this and if so, what type of fluid do I put in there and is it relatively easy for a non-mechanic like myself to do?

SeaPA":1avmrpoq said:
Is anybody famaliar with this and if so, what type of fluid do I put in there and is it relatively easy for a non-mechanic like myself to do?
Sure ... VERY easy to do. Just read all below, go slow and take your time. PM me if needed ...

CHECKING FLUID LEVEL:
Per the Teleflex/Sea Star manual, if the helm is mounted horizontal (+/- 20 degrees) the fluid should be at the bottom of the threads in that fill port.

If mounted vertical (+/- 20 degrees) the fluid should be 1/2" below the bottom thread.

It is not uncommon to have to top off a helm unit every once in a while, but some units won't need it at all during the season. I find units left "hard over w/ the OB trimmed up" may weep a bit out of the steering arm seals, which might exit/drip overboard, so you may never notice it.

Try this - bring fluid up to proper level referred to above, then turn wheel hard over one way. With the fill port cap open, keep turning the wheel hard, then release the wheel, and repeat ... while watching the fluid level. If it "drops" when you apply turning force there is air in the system which you could bleed out. Repeat this test by turning the wheel hard over the other way. Tip- always turn the helm sloooowly when that vent cap is open :shock: !

Note: That said, here's what I do. As long as the OB turns when I move the wheel even a tiny little bit, like less than an inch or so, I don't worry if the fluid drops a touch when turned hard over. But do keep an eye on that level though.

HYDRAULIC STEERING FLUIDS:
You can use any MIL SPEC H-5606 C rated fluid in that helm.

Oil Manufacturer - Brand Name
SeaStar - SeaStar oil part number HA5430
Shell - Aero Shell Fluid #41
Esso - Univis N15 or J13
Texaco - HO15
Chevron - Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A
Mobil - Aero HFA
Petro Canada - Harmony HV115 (In Canada Only)

This link (click here) has the recommended hydraulic fluids that can be used in Seastar hydraulic helms:

You can also call 604-270-6899 for Technical Support on Seastar steering units, if needed.

Edit: Links edited.

Good explanation Dale. :wink:

SeaPA,

A good way to add fluid is with a ketchup or mustard squeeze bottle.
It makes hitting that little fill hole much easier.

kmbot_lg.jpg

I saw this site advertised on ship shape tv http://www.boatsteeringrebuilders.com
"they provide the only program in the marine industry of this type. Our "Second Life" program offers you Same-As-New 2 year warranty on your Teleflex/SeaStar hydraulic steering system. Send us your helm pump(s) and cylinder(s) and we will rebuild them and offer our 2 year warranty. The components must be off of the same vessel to qualify for this program. We ask that you have your hydraulic hoses cleaned on the vessel while we are rebuilding your steering components. This gives you a whole new, clean system that will last for many years, trouble-free. The dollars saved versus replacing the system and confidence of a like-new steering system will add to your boating enjoyment"

FWIW my system is 21-years old this year ... it's never needed rebuilding ...

2005- When I added the 2nd helm station I had to tap into the system, but the loss was minimal and I just added new oil into it. No problems.

2013- When I added the 3rd helm station this season, not only did I 'tap' into it, but I did replace the seals on the steering ram. Not because I was having any issues, miind you, but whereas I had to install new 36' cables from the motor to the main helmn, the last thing I wanted was have to re-do it again "if" I ever had a rear seal failure. I take pains to keep my chromed steering rod (on either side of the motor) clean. I wipe it down with fresh water at every opportunity.

I drained what fluid I could from the 'bottom-most port' of the old system and let it settle in a clean jug. No water, no dirt, in fact the fluid looks like it could be re-used. I bought new stuff anyway. I also did pour it through a coffee filter and only captured a bit of dirt. Now the unaided eye can see a 40-micron object without a magnifying glass or other aid (approximately the diameter of a human hair). So by my best guess a standard coffee filter probably captures somewhere less than 100-microns, maybe a lot less.

I'll have to see if I can get some test media from the lab and try it ... !
barely lef

Was noticing my steering getting a little sloppy and came across this subject here. Bought some Seastar steering fluid to top it off. I used a syringe that is sold with the WEST System epoxy kits to fill the reservoir. Took eight syringe fulls and now steering is tight as a drum!

A fill hose and a qt. of fluid is always on our boat..... Just in case.... I've saved the day for others with it.

Kinda like packing a spare fuel filter. :)

warthog5":2fehjuq2 said:
A fill hose and a qt. of fluid is always on our boat..... Just in case.... I've saved the day for others with it.

Kinda like packing a spare fuel filter. :)
I keep a qt on my boat also. Other people used more then I did. I had to replace my helm last year. It was getting sloppy but I made the mistake of leaving the motor turned all the way in one direction and it was frozen. I try everything but it wouldn’t move. $600. For the part. Never do that again.

Back