Repowing 96 Parker 18 with a Yamaha 90 4stroke - Wt. issue ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversides

Reaction score
I have decided to repower my 96 Parker 1800 MV Commercial Notch from a 2003 Johnson 50 HP 4 Stroke to a new Yamaha 90 4 Stroke. Should I be concerned about the weight?
The boat is rated for a 150 2 Stroke - MAX. The weight of the Yamaha 90 4 Stroke is 366 Lbs.

I have read on this site that some 1800 owners are experiencing water entering the scuppers when repowering with a 90 or larger 4 stroke outboard.

Reason for repower - I would like a little more power if I need it.

Thanks,

If you are going to put a chase in for wiring and hydraulics why not move the batteries up to the console and that will eliminate any problems.

I did extensive research on all the outboards available and narrowed it down to Yamaha, Honda or an E-Tec Evinrude.

Contacted local dealers and any distant dealers that i have dealt with in the past.

Made my decision based on quality, dealer service, owner and fishing guide recommedations and decided on the Yamaha 90 HP 4 Stroke.
The weight on this outboard is in line with Parker's recommendation and should be fine for this 96 1800 Parker.
This Parker does not have an inboard gas tank and has a much small console which equates to much less weight than your standard 1800 or 1801.
These are reasons why I did not go with a 115 4 Stroke.

The current outboard is a Johnson 50 4 Stroke. This outboard pushed the boat on plane very quickly even though the top speed with one or two anglers was about 27. The 90 should be excellent on this vessel.

I wanted longevity and fuel economy. I think the 4-Stroke will outlast any 2 Stroke when taken care of properly.
Resale value and factory approved power also swayed my decision along with an excellent price and prior customer service from a dealer in Church Creek, MD (Gootee's Marine).
I will attach pic's when the job is complete.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice.
I just re-powered with a new Yamaha 90 4 Stroke!

In addition:
Re-positioned the console to center
Ran all new cables under the deck to console (2 inspection hatches installed)
New Leaning Post
Battery now under center console
New Hydraulic Steering

Gooties Marine, Golden Hill, MD did the install and console work; they did an excellent job!
I will post pics soon!
Cant wait for spring!

pics pics pics! i have a 85hp 2-stroke and the scuppers take on some water. i'd really like to see how much further you moved the center console to accomodate the new added weight.

Here are the Re-power pics from a few weeks ago.
I am quite pleased!
I called Parker and asked their advice on power. Brandon Rouse who is one of the engineers at Parker
recommended the 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on this boat.
I decided to go slightly lighter.
Gootees Marine tested the outboard after the re-power and said it was perfect on this boat!

Attachments

• Console Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    Console Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Front Parker18 RP.JPG
    Front Parker18 RP.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 243
  • LP2 Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    LP2 Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 243
  • LPRear Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    LPRear Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Side Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    Side Parker18 RP Small.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Y904Stroke Small.JPG
    Y904Stroke Small.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 243
That looks really good. Nice job on that! By the way, I'm changing out my 12x12 tabs on my 21 next month and I"ll be selling them and maybe the 1 season old actuators too. Only reason I don't know about the actuators yet is due to buying tabs only or tabs and actuators kit. I may be better off with kit and selling old ones at a deal if you know what I mean. I would think the 12x12's would be nice on the 18's? If you might be interested let me know. I'll at least be selling the tabs. Again, nice work on your yours, I've been following.

That's a cool boat. Is it a 20 inch transom? I am currently still working on mine it is an older modle that came with a 90 originally which is what I am thinking about putting back on rather than the 115. I would like to hear some numbers once you get it in the water. Did it come with that leaning post or did you add it?

Yes,
It is a 20" Transom. I will post numbers once the season gets under way.
I added the leaning post to the boat recently, moved the Console from a side to center configuration, added new hydraulic steering, moved battery to center console, moved all cables and steering from on deck to under deck. Original power was a 4 Stroke 50HP Johnson.
I am pleased with it so far.

Thanks,

Well, still in the break in mode with the new outboard. Love the performance with the 90 4 Stroke Yammi!
Jumps on plane quickly with more than enough power. Excellent choice!

Thanks,

How did you make out with the 90hp on there this year? What kind of speed and fuel burn did you get out of it?

Thanks
Camron

I have excellent result and fuel economy; if i remember correctly:
5000 RPM 30-35 MPH
Fuel economy is the same as running a Mariner (Merc) 60HP 2 Stroke EFI.
I am pleased. Jumps on plane quickly!

Cool thanks I am going to be dropping my project one off to a fiberglass guy in the next couple weeks. I might have a line on a nice 05 yamaha 90 and was interested in how the performance of it was.

Back