towing a 2520 thru MA and RI

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99Parker2520

Reaction score
I have a Parker 2520 that is 115" wide. From what I can find on-line is 102" being the max trailer width for both MA and RI. I regularly tow from MA into RI and back and want to be legal now that I found out I am not. Has anyone gone thru the process of a permit to legally tow a boat this wide? Is there a blanket permit for all states? What does it do to your insurance I am sure there must be an additional cost there too.

Thanks Jay

No one here tows their 2520 in any state? Are we all towing illegally?

If you measure the boat at the transom I'm pretty sure you'll find it is 8.5 feet or 102 inches there. The widest point is the aft end of the house. I'd plead ignorance and show the cop (if you ever encounter one) where you measured the boat...Chances are this will NEVER come up.

If I were ever to get into an accident I want to be covered by my insurance.

99Parker2520":xrut75ub said:
If I were ever to get into an accident I want to be covered by my insurance.

Yep, Liability (getting pulled over is the least to worry about). I looked into getting a trailer but the fear of coverage being rejected if I was ever in an accident without a permit made me forget that idea and I didn't want to mess around with permits. God forbid a serious accident such as a kid jumping out of nowhere. Lawyers would have a field day. I use a boat hauler in the spring and fall.

I pay $90 annually for a California oversize permit.

The 2520 is 9'6" wide at its widest point. It's not worth the liability hassle if you get into an accident and dont have the correct paperwork.

Hello flyliner. Can you tell me who you pay the $90.00 too. I called the highway patrol here in Southern California and could not get a straight forward answer as to the requirements of towing a 9' 6" beam boat. I will be considering 2520's after I verify what I believe now to be the requirements. Thanks for sharing!

Warren, state of CA. Walk in, give application and $90 and you have permit. There are additional rules to follow but it's all in the booklet they give you.

Back