Yamaha ring free

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freespool

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Do you use Yamaha ring free and other additives? I have had an injector clog on my port motor. I had it replaced last week. The next trip it did it again. Probably caused by the crummy California fuels. I have researched and I found that guys swear by the Yamaha ring free. I am convinced that I should be using it. Whether or not it would keep my injectors from clogging is a different story altogether.

I have a couple of questions for the group:
1. Is there a cheaper alternative to the pricey Yamaha brand ring free? Where do you find the best price for it?
2. Do you guys use something in addition to the ring free product such as stay foam??

First things first.
If you are having debris clog your injectors, make absolutely certain that you have at least a 10 micron filter as the first filter on your fuel system.
Some folks go so far as to go to a 2 micron filter. That is up to you.

As for additives, I use StaBil, StarTron, and Ringfree at *every* fill-up.
1 ounce of each to every 10 gallons of fuel.

Best place to buy?
I get my Ringfree and my filters by the case from SIM Yamaha.
http://www.simyamaha.com

Attachments

• DSCN0017.jpg
    DSCN0017.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 270
I have run 2 stroke V6 yamahas since 1988 in Calif and have never used a fuel additive other than stabil if I thought I might be facing an extended period on the trailer.

I prob average 80-100 hrs per year on bass boats and am religious about servicing and filter replacement in particular. Additionally I would say that 99%+ of my fuel has been Chevron from high volume stations.. As Chevron is typically a little more expensive in Nor Cal, I'm probably just indirectly paying for the additive through my fuel preference.

As an aside, petition your Reps in Congress to stop the use of Ethanol, it's a complete scam! Working as a service writer at a large boat yard I have seen the toll Ethanol fuel has taken on inboard and outboard-powered boats. Blown motors, disintegrating fuel tanks, repeatedly fouled carburetors and injectors, thousands of gallons of fuel spoiled, you name it. It's tough on the industry too because we have to use it in all our boats and equipment, and we have to deal with customers who are totally P-O'ed at the cost of these otherwise needless repairs they have to pay for just to use their boats.

If it's not approved for aircraft engine use, it doesn't belong in a boat either...

TWOBOATER":99zvowm6 said:
If it's not approved for aircraft engine use, it doesn't belong in a boat either...

Not sure what that means... I own both. The approval process for a/c is sooooo expensive that there is virtually no new product or technologies coming to market. Far more innovation in the boating world.

Back