12"x18" Trim Tab Install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy V

Reaction score
I completed this install a couple of weeks ago and want to update others about the outcome.
-I believe it is important to other Parker Owners to have accurate information to reference, and this site and its members have been good to me - so here goes.

My boat is a 2007 2310 DV with F250 Yamaha. I run a 4 Blade Rev 4, 17 Pitch Prop.
My Motor height sits with the Bolt in the 3rd Hole from the top.

I did my Mods one at a time so I could clearly see the results from each step.
My Flow Scan is Spot-On when I fill up.

When I first purchased the boat it was wearing a Stock Yamaha 17P 3 Blade Prop, and 12x12 Trim Tabs. The Motor height sat with the Bolt in the 2nd Hole from the top.
-The boat was slow to plane
-Would not hold a plane unless I was running 25-26 MPH and had to be attentive to the throttle to keep from falling off plane.
-Always needed Full trim tab in any sea condition.
-Boat would porpoise and also rode bow high.
-Best Fuel Economy 2 MPG @ 25/26 MPH 4400 RPM.
-Attempted Cruise Speed 19 MPH 1.7/1.8 MPG but it would require constant throttle management and would fall off plane most times.

The 1st Mod was the Rev 4 Prop. This made a significant improvement in the ability to get on plane - and stay on plane without falling off. The prop stays hooked up to the water and did not require anymore throttle management. Cavitation was a thing of the past.

The 2nd Mod was to raise the motor 1 hole (bolt is in 3rd hole from top). This also made a significant improvement as the boat now ran that same 25/26 MPH @ 2.3 MPG at 4200 RPM (This is with a Full Fuel Tank, and a Full 48 Gal Bait Tank)
If I ran the boat with a 1/2 Fuel Tank I consistently saw 2.4-2.6 MPG @ 25/26 MPH.

The 3rd Mod was a long time coming because the great El Nino fishing that has not stopped for 2 years now!
-However I was forced to get the job done as one of my Tab Actuators crapped out.
I bought the complete 12"x18" Tab Kit with new actuators at WestMarine.

After emailing Dale about whether or not to center the Actuator on the Tab, a quick and clear decision was made to do the job right. It must be centered as the dynamic forces would eventually weaken the hinge on the Tab and could cause it to fail. This was also confirmed by Lenco.
The Tab was located as per the installation instructions from Lenco -
(1"- 4" in from chine. Edge of hinge must be 2" from strake edge in either direction.)
I also made a simple jig to ensure the trailing edge of the Tab Blade was 3/4" when fully retracted.
(The original Parker install of the 12" tabs was closer to 1" upon full retraction)

The results were dramatic - it rides like a completely different boat. The boat will now bow down in a head sea, ride more stable in all seas, rides level. It now has the ability to plane at a much lower speed and stay there. The wake cleaned up significantly, no big hole in the water as with the 12" tabs.
The fuel economy remains the same. I am happy with the results and highly recommend the upgrade.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

#3 Zinc on top of blade only - clean wake.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Congratulations on your completed project Billy. My results were good on this upgrade also. To be honest though, the Permatrim that I added before the tabs had as much or more impact. If you are considering trying that one additional step I think you will not have any regrets. Your tab job looks very good. Enjoy the new ride. :D

I have the same boat/motor combo as you. Mine is a 2005 and also is bracketed.

I have just ordered my Rev4 prop and have about 50 hours on my 12x18 trim tabs. The tabs did make a big difference but the Permatrim was huge. My boat can plane as slow as 12 knots now and no bow rise. The tabs helped with upswell conditions and side to side trim. I get similar speeds and mileage as your boat. Cant wait to try the new prop.

The El Nino conditions in California has been awesome.

Definetly try the Permatrim, you will not be dissapointed.

Back