Repower on Parker 2520xl from a Yamaha F225 to Suzuki DF300

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Signed the paperwork for the repower and hopefully within a couple of weeks I will have the Suzuki 300 on the armstrong bracket. With the additional weight I have on the boat the F225 has been inadequake the last three years. Have a 55 gallon Offshore bait tank, galley, and an additional 4d battery in the house for all electronics that have added to the problem of power. The F225 has been great in terms of reliability but just does not have the omp that I need.
The Suzuki web site has a number of boat tests with the DF 300 and the Key West 268 comes the closest to my boat in terms of size. The fuel #'s on that boat are impressive and I can only hope to obtain similar results. Noticed the hull is a deep v while I have the modified 16" deadrise which should be of added benefit.
I will update Classic Parker site once the break-in period is over. If anyone needs a 2004 Yamah F225 I will make you a good deal. the motor is warranted thru 09/2009 and have all records. 200 hours only

Greg

Attachments

• DIANA LEE.JPG
    DIANA LEE.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 987
Greg - Good luck with your Zuke. I have been running a 250 Zuke on my 2520 DV for the past two years. I have been very impressed so far. Please share your performance numbers with us. You may also want to check out this months Boating mag. They did a test comparing a boat with 300 Zuke vs. twin 150.

Brad

I will also be watching for your performance report and impressions with that motor.
Not wishing any ill will on my OX66, but that 300 Zuke is on my short list should a repower be in my future. :wink:

That boat will scream and be fuel efficient to boot.

I think you would have been satisfied with a Yami F250, and saved some bling. That Yami 225 was notoriously "overrated" from a HP perspective, closer to a 200HP from all accounts. Not so with the F250.

The Suzuki's are impressive, powerful and efficient. If you have a dealer you are comfortable with in your area I think you'll be more than happy.

And yes, please share the performance numbers with us when available.

The Fred Hall Fishing Show is in Long Beach, Ca. starting today thru Sunday and the Dealer that will be installing the motor is at the show all week. Hopefully Kent Anderson Marine will initiate the install next week. I will be going to the show tomorrow and apparently they have a cross section of the DF300. He gave me a good price and the 6 year warranty was extra incentive.
We have a number of islands offshore that I have been hesitant to go to because of the power situation and am looking forward to changing my ways. Once again I will be happy to share my experiences as we progress with the project.

Greg

Attachments

• DIANA LEE.JPG
    DIANA LEE.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 951
HalibutRustler":31bkx32o said:
I will be going to the show tomorrow and apparently they have a cross section of the DF300.

Greg, Please... take your camera. I'd love to see photos of that. :wink:

Sent you a PM with my phone #. I would consider for my 2320 if the price was right. I live in SB and could work out pickup. Thanks. Craig.

I feel your pain. I just sold my F200 Yamaha and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new E Tec 250 for my 2002 2310WA. :D

I spoke with Kent Anderssen Marine today and we're tentatively set to begin the repower next Wednesday. The delay has been due to the ordering of the Yamaha 8hp high thrust with the 25" shaft. Apparently the motor didn't exist in Ca. and is being shipped from Georgia.
I'm going with four 4inch digital gauges and Kent said the install should be easy on the Parker due to good access. Will update you guys as we progress and am getting quite antsy.

Greg

Attachments

• DIANA LEE.JPG
    DIANA LEE.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 874
anyone done a 250 Yamaha vs. 250 Suzuki 4 strike comparison, head to head?

Parker 28":39xukbkm said:
anyone done a 250 Yamaha vs. 250 Suzuki 4 strike comparison, head to head?

Great idea for a topic ! :wink:

The motor is on and the conversion is complete ( well almost ). The digital throttle and shift are as smooth as silk. Slow speed manuveering is enhanced and I noticed getting back into my slip is a lot easier. The dealer and I felt the 3-blade stainless steel 16x18.5 would be ideal however now that the motor is broke in I have checked max rpm's and am only able to turn 5200 rpm with this prop. The full throttle operating range is 5700-6300 rpm. The next prop down in pitch is 16x17 and if I recall the reduction of 1" in pitch will increase your rpm by 200. This would only give me an additional 300 rpm and that would put max rpm at 5500 still overpropped. Suzuki does show in their manual a 15 1/2x17 that may work. I have no idea what a reduction of 1/2 in in diameter will do on the rpms. Hopefully someone here may have some insight.
The motor has a deep throaty type sound and when you accelerate you had better hold on. All in all I very happy and hope to resolve the prop problem asap.

Greg

Once you go through all the calculations you can, you will find that prop design, testing, and use is still somewhat of a hit-or-miss trial proposition, as there's still an element of black magic going on.

That said, I doubt you'll even see any RPM difference by trimming the prop OD 1/2". I also agree you should get the puppy to turn closer to the max RPMs.

NICE motor choice :D ... it's one of the 2 brands that I am considering, so I can't wait to see your final prop decision and performance numbers at cruise!

Here are some pictures of the conversion, notice the kicker controlled from the Pilothouse.

Attachments

• busby.jpg
    busby.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 816
  • Busby1.jpg
    Busby1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 816
  • busby2.jpg
    busby2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 816
Started a thread on TheHulltruth forum in regard to the prop and was informed the motor may be way too low. Joey from Sundance Marine indicated that the anti-cavitation plate should be just above the water being splashed at cruising speed. He indicated that raising the motor would be the first option and changing the prop if necessary the second. Joey indicated the rpms would definitely be increased by raising the motor but couldn't say if 6000 rpm could be reached. This may be an easier fix and will run the boat Saturday and take photos of the plate position at cruise and e-mail to Joey. Nothing is ever easy but the rewards on this set-up will be good in the end.

Greg

Greg: Good luck with it. I'm sure once you get the set up bugs worked out that you will be thrilled with the performance.

Please keep up abreast of how it all goes.

John

Ran the boat yesterday in calm water to check engine height at cruise. The engine is in its lowest position and the cavitation plate is approximately 5" below the water level. I can raise the engine about 3" and hopefully this will increase rpms to the correct range. I trimmed the engine at cruise and was able to obtain 5400rpms with the big prop. The speed at 5400rpms was approximately 39mph. I filled the gas tank prior to monitoring (173 gallons-ouch-) and upon acceleration came right up on plane. Liking the engine more each day. The digital gauges are great and indicating better than 2mpg at 28mph. Cant wait to raise the engine but will wait for the 20 hour service. Hoping to be able to keep the 16x18.5 prop the keep my rpms down for better economy. I am really starting to enjoy this boat now as I could hardly plane with the old motor when loaded down. Will update as engine is moved up

Greg

Back