possibly time to re-power..... Thoughts?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainsauls

Reaction score
Hello all I have a 1995 parker 2520 with a volvo ad41P-A. She's a 200hp diesel coupled to a volvo duo prop drive.

The boat is slow to come out of the water and cruises a little slower than I'd prefer. When loaded with men and tackle it take a good 20-50 seconds to get on plane. The little volvo just can't build the RPM's fast enough. she only cruises about 20knots which i guess isn't terrible but it feels like your ringing the engines neck to get it there. She'll tach out at around 25knots.

So here are my options the way I see it.... (feel free to provide info from personal experience)
option 1
I can replace the turbo on the Volvo with another volvo turbo. Volvo states this helps build rpm's faster. At a cost of $2,000.00 just for parts I'm kind of skeptical.... I can't seem to locate anyone who has actually done this recommended upgrade to get some real life information. Hard to spend 2k on some bulletin volvo put out years ago....

my volvo has also started to randomly overheat. Ive done everything I can think of. My Volvo mechanic is also stumped (he's still trying to figure it out)

option 2
repower with a reman mercruiser 383 Mag with multipoint fuel injection (350HP) ($8,000.00)
I'll be able to re-gear my volvo duo prop and use it. (Cost TBD)
I'll need new analog gauges ( $400)
3 year warranty on engine

I'll "hopefully" be able to achieve a faster cruise over the current diesel but will have to sacrifice some economy.

I realize that the re-power option is obviously more expensive, but how much money will I sink into the volvo before I give up?

Please give me some pointers parker people!!! being an adult is a pain in the @ss.

-Josh

Pics to get everyones attention :lol:

Observation: The 350hp gas motor will always have a power advantage over the 200hp diesel.
The diesel, on the other hand, should run just about forever with normal maintenance.

The gas motor will be cheaper to install than a new, or juiced up diesel, but the diesel will almost always get you better economy.
If conditions permit, 25 kts is a good cruise for me at 4400 to 4500 rpm depending on sea conditions with my OB.

Tough call. Your 95 probably has the same 14 degree hull as my 96.
A 20 kt cruise on my boat will happen between 4000 and 4200 rpm with my OX66 outboard and it is a comfortable ride.
For WOT on mine, I have seen 34 kts at 5100 rpm on almost flat water in spring with a new bottom.
That is pretty much terminal velocity for the 14 degree hull.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how fast do you want to go, and at what cost?
Could you be happy to run the Volvo for a couple of years at a lesser speed until you decide?

As an aside... read up on discussion about tabs on the 2520.
Many of us have opted to increase our tabs to at least 24x9 (some have gone bigger).
With all of that iron in the stern, bigger flippers might help your performance with that diesel.
Something to think about.

Megabyte":bfmq4ct6 said:
Observation: The 350hp gas motor will always have a power advantage over the 200hp diesel.
The diesel, on the other hand, should run just about forever with normal maintenance.

The gas motor will be cheaper to install than a new, or juiced up diesel, but the diesel will almost always get you better economy.
If conditions permit, 25 kts is a good cruise for me at 4400 to 4500 rpm depending on sea conditions with my OB.

Tough call. Your 95 probably has the same 14 degree hull as my 96.
A 20 kt cruise on my boat will happen between 4000 and 4200 rpm with my OX66 outboard and it is a comfortable ride.
For WOT on mine, I have seen 34 kts at 5100 rpm on almost flat water in spring with a new bottom.
That is pretty much terminal velocity for the 14 degree hull.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how fast do you want to go, and at what cost?
Could you be happy to run the Volvo for a couple of years at a lesser speed until you decide?

As an aside... read up on discussion about tabs on the 2520.
Many of us have opted to increase our tabs to at least 24x9 (some have gone bigger).
With all of that iron in the stern, bigger flippers might help your performance with that diesel.
Something to think about.

The current tabs do the job as far as I can tell. The issue is the volvo doesn't seem to have the umph to get the boat on top. she just drags the stern until she can build enough RPM's. When I run the tabs all the way down it doesn't seem to make much difference as she can't push the water over them fast enough to get it out of the water. I'm really at a loss. I'll consult with the mechanic to see if he thinks larger tabs will help. Thanks for the input!

Read some of the posts in the "OBs, Props, Power, Tabs, & Trailers" area, or use the search tool.

The factory 12x12 tabs are fine for newbies (keeps them out of trouble) but are too small to get a 2520 up and running.
Not a single person who has upgraded has regretted it.
The bigger flippers help get that fat a$$ up, and on plane quicker.

At least that is what many of us have experienced.
The Volvo could be limiting you, but a tab upgrade is worth considering (and it's cheaper than a re-power). :wink:

That 41 is very heavy, biggers tabs will help, the 383 will weigh alot less, and more power but economy will suffer. Really depends on your usage, for most rec users the gas is fine. Long trips and many hrs a yr the diesel may be a better fit. Just an example, where i boat, diesel is half the cost of gasoline at the dock. That 41 is getting old, you could easily spend 8k getting it running right. Probably be easier to find a gas leg than chnge the gearing and prop on your current leg.

Back