Swapping Stainless Marine bracket for Armstrong?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever swapped out their older Stainless Marine bracket for a newer Armstrong bracket with flotation? I think the extra 300 lbs of flotation and 30" of planing surface on the Armstrong could be a real benefit.

But I'm worried about drilling a whole new set of mounting holes in my 23 year old transom...

Is that even practical to consider? Can the old holes be filled with dowels, epoxy, then faired over and glassed in to make them as strong/stronger than original?

Does anyone have experience with both the Stainless Marine and Armstrong brackets on a Parker? (The Stainless Marine were used on older Parkers before they switched to Armstrong brackets, I believe)

-Brent

I have experience with the stainless bracket and I believe it can be done. Getting the old bracket of the boat will be a choir.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448909581.072053.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448909581.072053.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 224
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448909609.421755.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448909609.421755.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 224
Thanks. Mine is the older style without the integrated swim platform, so it just has four or six massive through-bolts with backing plates inside the transom.

If your transom is 23 years old, you might be looking at replacing it anyway.
Honestly, that is what I would factor in if I were replacing my bracket.

Megabyte":13mxshbv said:
If your transom is 23 years old, you might be looking at replacing it anyway.
Honestly, that is what I would factor in if I were replacing my bracket.
Yikes

Not what I wanted to hear!

You could get lucky, but if it were my boat, I'd budget for it.

I think the extra 300 lbs of flotation and 30" of planing surface on the Armstrong could be a real benefit.

So lets talk about this statement.

I assume your talking about a new bracket with a 30in tub ?

How did you figure you would get 300lbs more flotation?

Yes you will get more flotation, as it is larger than the stock 18in wide unit. BUT!

You have to know how much of the tub is actually in the water. You can not calculate the numbers by the volume of the tub.

The reason is.....The whole tub will not be submerged. Only a portation of it. Everything above the waterline is just excess weight.

I had a 48in wide tub on my Mako. 1 cuft of flotation will float 64 1/2lbs

100_4833_zpsf6af2bb6.jpg

The 300 lbs number was given to me by Armstrong. I asked him "net of its own weight, and assuming a typical Parker installation with a 600lb motor?" And he said "yup". I know it's an estimate but it sounds a lot better than the zero I probably have now. :)

Btw that's a sweet looking bracket. An Armstrong?

No..... That bracket is a D & D out of Miss.

The bracket was bare alum.... I had it blasted, then primed it , then painted it.

motorBracket002.jpg

Bracket4.jpg

Bracket5.jpg

Back