Engine trim - do I need a wedge or does this look right?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
Curious what people think. I can't be objective because I'm so used to it, but I finally had a chance to put the boat on blocks and take a bunch of pictures.

At cruise in calm seas, I find the best performance at 68% trim (indicated via NMEA2000 data from engine and read by Lowrance LMF and Raymarine e-series displays). This is why I included pics at that % trim. When I measured the anti-cav plate, it was at 4º, which is where what I get when measuring the rear cockpit deck. In other words, at 68% trim, the A/V plate is level with the cockpit sole.

However the flat portion of the hull at the stern measured 0º to 1º. Interestingly, at 80% trim, the anti-cav plate is at 0º (i.e. level with the flat portion of the hull at the stern.)

Should the anti-cav plate be level with the hull's planing surface at 50% trim? (in other words, should I have more "negative" trim available?

Also, despite the terrible pics, does anyone have an opinion as to whether the motor looks like the right height? Eyeballing it, it looks like the A/V plate is about 4 to 6 inches above the bottom o f the hull at the stern.

Here are pictures:

at 0%:

ZYYK1VO.jpg
X9SXQBu.jpg

At 25%:

wKVb2NA.jpg
sWuqYwe.jpg

At 50%:

yHhePNb.jpg
bvQhJRR.jpg

At 68%: (optimal "feel" while cruising)

bulzysm.jpg
XIn6jjc.jpg

At 80%: (A/V plate level with bottom of hull)

d0fI0FQ.jpg
javYWcm.jpg

At 100%

aE6zVkg.jpg
yNXBss2.jpg

Curious to know, is the mounting plate on the bracket parallel with the transom? If it is, and you can trim the motor out properly I would think you're ok. Can you over-trim the boat, i.e. get it to "porpoise" ?

Good question about the mounting plate and transom; I'll have to check that this afternoon. I've never had the boat "porpoise" other than when heading up swell and that had more to do with sea state. But I've also never run the boat at cruising speed with the engine tilted up past about 75% (which is more or less level with the hull)

It looks fine to me.

However....... Something in your pix's that you failed to mention in the past.

The position of that livewell. That is absolutely the Worst spot to have it for multiple reasons.

Drop a bait [easy to do] and it's Gone.

But the main reason is weight in a spot you don't want it. Not knowing how big that well is,

but guessing 30gal X 8.3lbs per gal = 250lbs round figure.

Yes I know that it's a horrible place for it. . I'm more of a spear fisherman than a hook & line fisherman, so it only gets used a couple times a year.

From a weight standpoint it would be much better up on the bow. :)

Btw I measured the transom angle vs the angle of the engine mounting plate on the bracket and there is a 7° difference. So I think I may add a 5° reverse wedge to help trim the motor up. It might even get the "ankle" of the lower unit out of the water when sitting in the slip.

Back