2520mv with yam. 150 hp, acceptable for a slowpoke?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisheron

Reaction score
First thing to say is I have no strong desire to run a MV hull in a chop at 30 mph. or any long distances. The type of fishing I do entails mostly short runs of 3-6 miles and either slow trolling for hours or anchoring up. Right now I have a cc but sorely miss having a comfortable cabin to sleep in. I am also a big fan of the yamaha f150's the price of these great little motors is much easyer to swallow than paying 10k more for a 225 /250

That said I am considering repowering a used 2520mv and need to know some slower speed cruise info. Specifically at what speed will a 14 degree 25'mv get up on plane?

What has been on my mind is running a f150 with low pitch 4 blade prop. and oversized tabs on a 2520mv, fuel load would be kept light. The low deadrise makes me thing it is possible. Ideally my goal would be running a slow cruise of 20-25mph (even in a chop.) I know my feelings may get hurt as most boats pass me but I can take it. Again I only intend to cruse short distances. I know for most people this would feel underpowered. but If I accept the slower cruise will it work in all conditions?

Am I crazy? If so just slap me and say snap out of it!!!

From my experience with my 2520 mv hull, 225 required a bit of rpms/speed to make me feel like the boat was on plane. I do not have large tabs and that may be one factor, but the more tab you use the more resistance you have through the water and the more HP you need. Using a 150 hp motor my require higher rpms, over working the motor, to get the boat on step. My hull does not feel like it is fully planed until about 27-28 mph. with full tabs I can stay planed in the mid to upper teens. My cruise speed with the 225 Yamaha was about 23-25 mph. I know your looking for more info with the 150 hp motor but I thought this may help as a reference point.

Someone with twin 150's maybe able to let you know if they can get up on step with a single motor.

Thanks moose, Surprised you need that speed to plane. I have a deep vee right now that can plane as low as 25mph. My last parker 2120 was stern heavy because of a kicker and bracket and would point skyward until it planed off. I wonder if your 300's weight affects planing speed.
I know a 150 on this hull is very questionable and certainly not for most situations. I expect to be riding in the dark often also so a slow cruse is better for that too. There is no data on this combo but if I look at the cruising gph of a f225 it suggests that a 150 may work on this hull.

I am realistic and not dead set on a 150 but I have owned several and often find great deals on that size Yamaha.

From yamaha's performance bulletins the parker 2520mv with a f225 burns 8.1gph at 26.5mph and 12.6gph at 34.6mph with a wot of 20.5gph

The yamaha f150 has a wot flow of 14.3 Those numbers suggest to me that IF PROPPED CORRECTLY a f150 should be able to maintain a slow cruse with rpm's/gph's in the 8-9 gph range. Of course these are under optimal conditions but even with a 10-20% loss it looks feasible. And these are very short runs I would be making on plane.

I did read once of someone with a 150 on a 87 souwester but cant find that post again. Knowing the lower speeds the 2520mv will hold plane from owners is crucial.

I've got to think a F150 would really be pushing it but understanding what you are trying to achieve, I get it. I also assume that you never plan to sell the boat? Anyway, here is a copy paste from one of my previous threads where Capt Kevin commented on his plane speed. Hope this helps.

shawnee83 wrote:
topwater26 wrote:
What was your minimum plane speed before this tab mod, thanks

My original planing speed was around 20 maybe about 19ish with some tabs. Then I raised the motor and put the Permatrim on and that dropped it to about 16/17. Then I did the tabs.

That is good information to have.
My 14 degree hull with a single 225 on a bracket and 24x9 tabs will stay on plane as low as 9 knots if conditions force me.

Report this post

Just found some more interesting data. Again in Yamaha performance bulletins with a 13 pitch prop the f150 will push a big pontoon boat to a max wot speed of 32mph. No,not exactly an apples to apples comparison but more evidence that it might maintain a slow 22 to 24 mph cruising speed on a 2520mv

fisheron":3bdd9la7 said:
Thanks moose, Surprised you need that speed to plane. I have a deep vee right now that can plane as low as 25mph. My last parker 2120 was stern heavy because of a kicker and bracket and would point skyward until it planed off. I wonder if your 300's weight affects planing speed.
I know a 150 on this hull is very questionable and certainly not for most situations. I expect to be riding in the dark often also so a slow cruse is better for that too. There is no data on this combo but if I look at the cruising gph of a f225 it suggests that a 150 may work on this hull.

I am realistic and not dead set on a 150 but I have owned several and often find great deals on that size Yamaha.

I guess I should clarify, my hull will begin to plan at lower speeds, 20mph, but when cruising, my nose in the air and I don't really feel like I have gotten over the hump until I reach about 25-29 depending on conditions. I can always lower my tabs and force the bow down, but it kills by fuel economy. I'm sure better tabs will help with this, but I do so much of my boating 65 miles plus in one direction that I would rather burn more fuel and go a little faster.

The 300hp I have now actually is almost 50lbs less than the 225 I had originally. The only thing I have really gained by switching to the 300 is a lower rpm at cruise.

I too like the 150's they are a strong reliable platform. I would suggest finding someone with twins on an mv hull and see if they can get up with only one motor.

fisheron":2pb0p787 said:
First thing to say is I have no strong desire to run a MV hull in a chop at 30 mph. or any long distances. The type of fishing I do entails mostly short runs of 3-6 miles and either slow trolling for hours or anchoring up. Right now I have a cc but sorely miss having a comfortable cabin to sleep in. I am also a big fan of the yamaha f150's the price of these great little motors is much easyer to swallow than paying 10k more for a 225 /250

That said I am considering repowering a used 2520mv and need to know some slower speed cruise info. Specifically at what speed will a 14 degree 25'mv get up on plane?

What has been on my mind is running a f150 with low pitch 4 blade prop. and oversized tabs on a 2520mv, fuel load would be kept light. The low deadrise makes me thing it is possible. Ideally my goal would be running a slow cruise of 20-25mph (even in a chop.) I know my feelings may get hurt as most boats pass me but I can take it. Again I only intend to cruse short distances. I know for most people this would feel underpowered. but If I accept the slower cruise will it work in all conditions?

Am I crazy? If so just slap me and say snap out of it!!!
I understand the budget factor but a larger motor will help resale factor and most likely sell faster down the road. Have you shopped around for an used motor? Same process for s new larger motor? I would shop around for deals on Honda, Etec, Suzuki. A few calls and check on sales, incentives and low financing. Also your fishing might change and wish for go to further. I would call and leave contact info in case deals pop up and they can contact you quickly. I understand your preference for Yamaha but when I re power I plan look at all brands and best deals. Just saying

I have a DV 2510 XLD with twin 150's. I realize I need a little more power with the deep vee, but I couldn't imagine trying to run a 2520 MV with a single 150. As you know, these are heavy boats, and, in my opinion, I would rather have some extra power on the transom rather than pushing a smaller engine hard. While your plans are for moderate travel and speed, there may always be situations that may arise where some extra horses will be needed, whether for extra loads or sudden inclement weather.

Yes,in nj but Yamaha's have been very good for me. I have owned at least 8. Part of my affection for the yam 150 is the price. I can usually find them for 11k-12k with a 5-6 year warranty you have to love that deal. The last yam f250 I bought was over 21k

Running a boat equipped with two 150's to see if it would plane with one motor is not accurate because with two motors they will each have a fast pitched prop.

Resale could be an issue, but saving 9k on the initial purchase means much less to recoup later or the hull and motor could be sold separably.

I know the whole idea may seem odd but the deadrise is the key. I have heard of 24 and 27 judges rigged with a single 150 I have seen commercial flat bottom skiffs that work well with low hp. I have owned many boats of all shapes and sizes. I know its unconventional but my instincts tell me a 150 pitched right would work on a 2520mv if content with a "unconventional" cruising speed of under 25mph.

With the vast experience on this site I value all the opinions. Just waiting for someone to prove me right or wrong.

Yes.

I bought a '95 2520 MV which was powered with a '94 Yamaha 150 (TXT?) with a pie plate for a prop ( I don't remember the specs but may still have it around somewhere). The PO had a hell of a time selling the boat due to the motor and I beat him down mercilessly as well.
The boat ran okay but I did feel that the motor had to be pushed more than I liked but likely okay for most- IIRC 4200-4500 would get along in 22-23 mph range in good conditions. You could slow it down for a slow plane (mid teens) if it was fairly flat- if you had following seas on the way home forget it as you had to power up quite a bit to stay on the wave. That ultimately drove me to re-power to an Opti 225 that is much better suited to the boat IMO. It was too bad as the motor was a great unit- it is currently on a friends Steiger 23PH and it is a perfect match for that despite the deep V hull.
If you are looking at a 4 stroke I would suspect the problems would be exacerbated with a heavier motor and less of a hole shot. It has been several years since I ran the 2520/150 combo but will try to remember more if you have additional questions.
I share your pain on the price of a new 250 as i am facing the issue again (the Opti was way over the reported hours and has been a problem the last two summers) I am looking to go the used route with data print outs and code reports this time. I cannot justify putting a 20k+ motor on the older boat as it would never be recouped but I do think a good used motor could add most of the purchase value to the resale.

Out of curiosity if you don't own the boat yet why don't you just run it with the engine it comes with? I think that 150 engine would be working really hard all the time. If it's a used boat I would also be up for checking out a used engine for them people repower these 4 strokes with low hours for various reasons I have seen plenty of 250's with under 500 hours on them come up for sale for well under 10k bucks. Just my opinion on it.

i'm repowering my 2520MVSC this month. The original motor is in great shape with 590 hours (225 OX66 2001 model year) but it is a 30 inch shaft which might not fit your boat. It will be listed here in the next couple of weeks including all gauges and rigging including Seastar hydraulic cylinder.

My opinion for what its worth... with calm seas, running 3 miles with light fuel as you say may not be a big deal. Parkers are a very sea worthy vessel, but my concern would be that a single 150 HP would be restricting the vessel's ability to operate as designed. There most likely will come a time where you would like to venture further out with possibly 3-4 buddy's, coolers, gear, etc. Then as most of us have been thru, bad weather kick's the seas up when least expected. All I'm saying is don't make your decision based on the best scenario but the worst. Whatever you decide please keep safety in mind. Good luck Mike

Some updates, I bought the boat and have started the restoration (weather permitting) The timing of this project is poor since I fish mostly april-june and it will not be done till summer. But at least that gives me time to get the motor.It will be new or almost new and I'm still considering the f150. The owner actually had a 150 on it when new but he could not recall any specifics, only that it was ok.

With my currant boat there are times when fish are hard to find and I will run for hours. The parker mv will not be used the same way. My parkers intended use is to fish close to port and to anchor up and chunk the evening/night tides. For that kind of use I have a hard time paying 22k for a new 250.

Thanks for all the comments

Back