Trim Tab Actuator Replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowman

Reaction score
I have a 2002 21se. One of my actuators no longer functions. Since both actuators are the same age I figure I might as replace both rather then just the bad one. I opened the bilge cover expecting to find the wires for the port and starboard actuators running toward the center of the boat then up the wire chase to the console and then to the control switch. I could not find the actuators wires in the bilge area. I traced them from the control switch down through the bottom of the console. From there I have no idea where they go unless they split under the console and run down each side of the boat. How much of a job is it to replace the actuators and run the wiring? Is this a DIY kind of job or should I be looking for a qualified installer. If I hire it done any ball park as to what it might cost (labor). The two Lenco 101 Standard Actuators alone will run around $320.

Trace the wires right from the actuators forward. They have to be wired unless they're hydraulic...

There is typically some amount of slack/extra wire for these wire runs. If the extra wire isn't at the helm area then it is likely in the bilge area where the wire feeds through the transum. It should be in the bilge? When you buy the replacement Actuators, they will have about 7' of wire as they are not meant to run all the way to the helm. Disconnect the actuator from the top mount, remove the top mount from the transum and you should see the hole with the wire going into the transum with some type of sealant on/around it. Using a knife/screw driver or whatever works, remove as much of the sealant as possible from around the wire and you should then be able to pull some of the slack out. Then you just cut the wire after you pull enough through to work with. Then you can finish removing the old actuator from the tabs. Take the wire you cut running back to the switch and strip all the leads to splice back to the new actuator. One thing to be aware of is to pay attention to how big the hole is. If it's tight you may want to stagger the butt splices some to make it easier to feed the wire back through the hole. Make sure you use heat shrink butt splices. It's a pretty easy job and you should be able to do both sides in a couple of hours. Definately replace both actuators, would be my recommendation as well. If you have any more questions just let me know as I've done this project on mine. Good luck.

Always helps if when you start a thread that you say what " Brand" they are. :)

I'm guessing Lenco's ?

shawnee83

Great reply. From what you said all I need to do is cut the wire at the actuator, remove the sealant around the wire as it passes through the transom, pull some of the existing wire out though the hole, splice the new actuator wire on to the old wire staggering the splices, then push the spliced wire back through the hole and reseal. As you pointed out the only potential problem is that the hole might be too small to pass the splice through. Staggering the splices might solve that problem. Really appreciate the input.

No problem Snowman. You shouldn't have any big problems doing this project. It was the first thing I did to mind as both my actuators were bad when I bought it. As long as the switches are passing power back to the actuators, the new ones should do the trick.

Back