Used Optimax evaluation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am updating the power on my 95 2520MV with a low hour Verado 250. I had bought a used Optimax 225 a few years ago and was badly misinformed concerning the hours on the engine (not by the seller but the dealer who had serviced it previously). I'd had recurring intermittent problems with the engine the last two summers that finally lead to the re-power decision. Figuring the Opti was worth something I asked the new dealer to check it out to see if he could find the source of the problem hoping it would increase the value/sale-ability of the motor. They found multiple carbon clogged air injectors which would definitely explain the problems I experienced with the engine. The injectors have been cleaned and the rest of the engine checked out well and I will receive a work order detailing the service and findings which should help in selling it as well.
While the engine has high hours (2294) they are almost all low rpm times which- A) explains the carbon build up on the injectors and B) Would seem to me to suggest a lot less wear on the engine than high rpm runs.
Of the total hours the break down is: 1082 under 750/ 387 @ 750-1500/ 399 @ 1500-2999/ 406 @ 3000-3999 and only 20 @ 4000+
It is likely that I ran virtually all of the over 3000 rpm hours and the first 1900 hours were put on by a quahogger on a smaller work boat.
Does this profile make this engine more or less desirable in your opinion?
Suggestions on pricing with all cable/smartgauges/ serviced seastar hydraulic steering/ oil tank (complete set-up?)
Thanks.

LOL...

Your boat...You do what you want.

In my neck of the woods [Gulf Coast] they do exist, but they are loud...and clunky [gearbox in and out of gear] Just the nature of a Merc.

Pull the Cowl on any Merc and look in there..EVERYTHING is Black and you can't tell what goes where.

225 on that Hull.... Not enough for me.

2 stroke I'd never go back. Oil tank taking up valuable storage space.

on the flip, my Florida neighbor was a nice fishing boat and his son runs it hard and m2cw abuses it with jack rabbit starts and gear jamming. The Dad is always looking for deals on used motors and they are constantly arguing with one another, good grief.

My boat is used by family when I am not in Florida and they take good care of it, buy only E zero gas, checks oil and battery water level, etc and washed after use.

If priced right, someone will buy it and it is a complete setup. m2cw

While I would like to have a new four stroke I LOVE my Optimax, and it is my second one. I bought my used 2520 MV in 2001, with a 1998 200hp Marnier Opti. I ran it until 2 years ago with minimal problems and came across a deal on a new one I could not refuse. It was very good on fuel, and while not a speedboat it was plenty fast enough for the 25 MV hull. At 4200 RPM it ran ~27 mph on calm seas. I started having a couple issues with the lower unit housing (corrosion around water pump) and then the stumbled onto my replacement Opti or I would have fixed it. The replacement is a 2004 Mercury 225hp Opti, that was brand new in 2013 and never used until I bought it. It is larger hp, so slightly faster, and I love it just as much. They are loud and they clunk into gear, but other than that I have no major complaints. I think there were a couple of problem years with the optis, and you need to maintain them properly to get good service.

The hours on that one are high... which will affect the resale in a major way. But I would be surprised if someone didn't buy it. I resold my 1998 200 Opti with 1500 hours, in 2013, for $4k.

Good luck!

My 200 Opti was a great motor, great on gas, very reliable and only normal maintenance done. I wouldn't buy one now though; that's old technology. The fuel / lubrication system is very complicated and unecessary with the new generation of 4-stroke motors available. It will sell though, there are still fans out there who can't afford to go for a new motor.

The positive comments pretty much mirror my experience with the engine as well. Plenty of power on the MV regardless of loading and the fuel usage was very good under normal cruising conditions- generally from @8-9.5gph depending on tabs etc. It did make some noise shifting but in 50 years around outboards seems to me that most of the mechanical linkage ones do (which is most of the ones out there still). If the engine had the hours I was lead to believe I don't imagine I would be changing it, however a good opportunity came along on the Verado so I am giving that a try. Frankly I hope it performs as well as the Optimax in some of the parameters.
The change over should be done fairly soon so I will give CL a shot with the engine. I feel good having the positive report from the shop and the Computer Diagnostic sheet to go along with it-can only help I figure.

Back