Lesson Learned Yesterdday

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2fish

Reaction score
I haven't been able to run my Parker since November so I planned on heading out into the Potomac River for a run. I keep my boat in a barn when I'm not using it. It turned out to be pretty gusty so I decided not to head to the river but instead I figured I'd go over the boat and get ready for the warmer weather.

I checked my maintenance log and found I had 60 hours on the oil/filter and it is due at 100. I figured I would get a couple of more runs out of it and then change it. I checked the other items I usually check and then decided to leave the cowl off to start the engine.

I hooked up the muffs and the engine fired right up. I looked back to see it shooting oil straight out of the side of the motor. I quickly turned it off and checked the engine. There was a small ring of rust around the filter right at the rim where it screws on to the motor. There was a BB size hold that had blown out when the engine started and got up to pressure.

I ran to my local marina to get a new filter/oil to do the oil change. I cleaned everything up and did the oil change. Started it up and no issues now. Although I had only 60 hours on the oil change, it was 15 months on the motor. From now on I'll do a visual of the filter. I also sprayed it with fluid film to help protect it a bit. No other signs of severe corrosion on the motor so I was pretty shocked. The marina said they have never seen one fail.

This was a Yamaha brand filter too.

Steve

Wow. Pretty crazy for a 15 month old filter. Good thing you were doing your due diligence on your maintenance. That pin hole almost cost you an unwanted repower. Thanks for the heads up.

Spray the whole powerhead down with Fluid Film. The salty air is getting to the metal.

FF_product_can.jpg

warthog5":1833y0gg said:
Spray the whole powerhead down with Fluid Film. The salty air is getting to the metal.

FF_product_can.jpg

Thank you. I had run out so I'm heading out this morning to restock.

Steve

I checked all over the Fredericksburg area and could not find any FF. I ordered online and it should be here this week. I plan to do both boats. I've used it in the past but got lazy when it ran out.

Steve

warthog5":3e6iiswm said:
Did you try Grainger ?

The closest store I could locate was in Springfield Va and I didn't want to drive that far. Ordered on line. Should be here today.

Steve

Back