Spray from 2015 2520 XLD stern.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJB12/83

Reaction score
I know many of you have had this issue like myself. I found out the engine is mounted too low, mine was on the lowest mounting setting and I raised it all the way up. When on plane the stern spray is gone, my MPG just from 1.2-1.7 and the boat handles much better now that the stern is lifting better. I plan on installing a permatrim on my F300 I will update you on the performance once thats installed. Also the boat gets on plane around 3300 rpm's instead of the 4000 before.

Interesting. Many post on that spray situation. I have the Permatrim and have been very happy with it. It will be interesting if your height setting will still work out with the posible additional stern lift of the Perma. Worst case, you may have to drop back down 1 hole? Raised mine all the way up then added Perma & bigger tabs and have had a few occasions to consider dropping back down. Still evaluating though as overall I think performance is pretty solid.

That's great you got it zoned in. Those Yamaha like to be raised. My boat ran great with my 200 HPDI up high. My new motor Suzuki, don't run good up high. Give us the report when you install the fins.

Daydreamer":2fiicy53 said:
I raised my motor and I did not have the same results. Parker does not want to deal with the problem. Poor customer service!
Hi Daydreamer!
With all due respect, why do you think this is poor customer service on the part of Parker? You made the change from the way Parker shipped the boat. That's on you, not Parker.

I agree, do you have a single or twins also have you tried a permatrim. Between the permatrim and lifting the engine my boat handles great now. I can cruise 24kts in 2-3' seas

Daydreamer":33wu2gg2 said:
I raised my motor and I did not have the same results. Parker does not want to deal with the problem. Poor customer service!

Yes bad customer service on the part of Parker. I purchased the boat new in 2015 and noticed the spray right away no changes made to the boat. After repeated calls to parker sending them a video of the spray (I made no changes to the boat other the having the transducer installed) Parker just would not deal or acknowledge that there was a problem. I sent a scathing e mail to Linwood and he called me but had no solution or offered no real help. I spoke with his daughter at the boat show in January and she said she would talk with their engineer. I never received a call back so I gave her a call. She said there was a death in the family so she has been tied up. It has now been 10 months and I still have not heard from her.

Maybe its me but I think when you spend over $100K on a boat you would think the manufacturer would take some interest in their customer.

And it is a single 300. I did not want to try the permitrim because I did not want to drill holes.

Daydreamer,

I have taken multiple videos of DV Parkers with engine/bracket getting on plane. Nothing too mysterious here. Easy to identify each component and its contribution to the wake. There are several things going on that are causing your dirty wake. The water shooting up near the cowl is from the flotation tub still being in contact with the water as the bow rises and the stern digs in as the hull tries to get on plane. That will go away once the hull is on plane. The tub will be clear of the water and can no longer cause any spray.

The next source of spray further outboard is coming from your trim tabs. There are two sources of spray coming off the tabs. The most noticeable are from the inner and outer edges of the blades. Since these are Lenco tabs, the second source of spray is coming from the gaps in the piano wire hinges as water is under pressure sprays through. A minor issue specific to Lenco blades with piano wire hinges. FWIW Bennett blade do not do this.

The final issue that is causing a dirty wake is a major one that you have self-inflicted which is mounting your transducer centerline directly in front of the lower unit. By doing this not only is it causing a dirty wake, you are ventilating the prop and reducing engine performance.

Those are the three things I see in your wake.

What I would do to fix is number one, the transducer must be flush, a shoot thru or a "low profile" if mounted in front of the LU.

Most people with Lenco tabs live with the issue which is minor, but some 12x18 Bennett blades would go a long way to clean things up back there.

The flotation tub spray resolves itself after planing. Loading more weight forward will also help get the tub up sooner.

Lastly, a Permatrim will really clean things up. it will provide exceptional stern lift which will also clean what is coming off the anti-ventilation plate. The hull will also ride noticeable longer in choppy seas.

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about drilling the holes for the permatrim. These are heavy boats so they need a little help lifting the stern. Before the permatrim the boat would porpoise no matter how much I adjusted the trim tabs, it took care of that as well.

Couple questions, and fairly new to the forum so bear with me. Is this spray issue all or mostly on the 2520 with single outboard? I've got twin 200's, and don't notice anything out of the ordinary. A bit of spray from one side, but didn't think too much of it. What problems is the spray issue causing? Also, kind of odd that mounting wouldn't be at a fairly standardized at the correct height from the factory, seeing as this isn't close to a "one off" boat. Maybe I'm missing something, or I just haven't seen the problem arise yet. Although, I will say I'm continually amazed at the amount of engine height adjustment and prop changes many of the manufactures(mostly NW aluminum) have to make to get a boat to run at it's most efficient. I've got a friend who had a nearly $400K custom boat built by a well known NW aluminum builder who had to scrap his first single diesel commercial outdrive installation, and go to twin diesel Volvo outdrives. Just could never get it to line up correctly and perform right. Hoping the twins will work when he get's the boat back, but still waiting for resolution almost a year after the build started.

Mine was an issue from the beginning the spray is on the starboard side of the engine. These are heavy boats and wish I got twin 200's. Like they say theres no replacement for cylinder displacement.

Installed the permatrim this weekend and got the boat into the water. Not really any performance difference then the above post on flat seas. I was out on Vineyard Sound in 3' seas and I noticed the the boat does handle better in a following sea though I was cruising at 22kts and no pounding. In a head sea tabs buried I can cruise at 18kts comfortably with no pounding. How have others improved performance or ride?

JJB12/83":36ogrjav said:
Installed the permatrim this weekend and got the boat into the water. Not really any performance difference then the above post on flat seas. I was out on Vineyard Sound in 3' seas and I noticed the the boat does handle better in a following sea though I was cruising at 22kts and no pounding. In a head sea tabs buried I can cruise at 18kts comfortably with no pounding. How have others improved performance or ride?

Hey JJB,

Glad the Perma is doing its thing for you.

Since my last post I picked up a new 2801 which has the same flotation tub/chamber as yours. The spray in question is coming off the sharp outboard corners of the extra wide flotation tub/chambers these 9.5 beam hulls have. At higher speeds the hull rises and the wake does clean up considerably.

I put Permas on my 300s. What have I seen so far? Trim tabs are completely unnecessary. With 2 bars on the engine trim bow rise is negligible on take off........very flat. The hull planes almost immediately. Once on plane I bump the engines up to 3 bars sometimes 4 depending on seas. Controlling the bow with the permas instead of the tabs results in no mileage hit. The tabs killed mileage before the perma additions.

My most efficient operating speeds are 2800 to 3600 rpm which puts the boat comfortably on plane, 25 to 36 mph @ 2.0 mpg. At 3/4 throttle 4500-4700 rpm speed is 45 to 47 mph @ 1.4 mpg.

I will say that at very high speeds 55+mph steering does stiffen a little on a twin engine application due to the down turned lips of the permatrim ........it rides like it is on rails. You have to tweak the engine trim which you'll have to do with any hull at that speed. I don't like going that fast anyway.

The boat rides longer with the extra hull planning surfaces. Much like a friend's 31 contender. The hull gets on top and pushes through a 3 ft confused chop like butter with little bow rise. In bigger seas I'll bump up the engine trim to 5 bars.

FWIW the 2801 is a very dry boat with or without the permatrims. Much more fun and efficient to drive with them.

I’m noticing my boat will not get over 5300 rpm’s and 30kts. On the Parker website it says this boat will hit 40 MPH at full speed and I’m not getting near that. This leads me to believe my boat is not running as efficient as possible even after the permatrim and raising the motor. Is anyone else having the same issue or any solutions. This was even confirmed at slack on a dead calm day.

Back