Need help mounting OB on 23 parker walkaround with bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHAZparker

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1994 Parker walkaround with a 2015 Evinrude G2 250HP with very low hours.
The boat has the closed transom with SS bracket.
A local dealer installed the motor.

When the boat is on plane it performs good.
When the boat is running below plane but above about 8 knots (plowing as displacement), the engine is covered with water splashing up to cowling.
The water spray is so bad that this new cowling almost came off. I also got a temp alarm that went away after planning.
It appears that if I have the boat trim tabs in the nose up position less water is evident.
Anyone have suggestions on mounting Outboard on 94 Parker with a bracket?
It appears that during lower speeds a tail of water hits the motor directly?
I called Evinrude and they said I could purchase an installation manual from the dealer (that installed the motor)?
Although, I think this is a Parker issue?
Not a problem at higher speeds, but when you are in rough water (in the pass) sometimes you need to go slower and that is when you do not need these problems.

Engine mount top bolt goes through top hole in bracket and third hole down on engine.

I talked with a bracket dealer and he said the engine cavitation plate should be at least 3 inches above bottom V of boat.
I guess this is due to the distance back from transom.
Evinrude will not talk with me?

Current my boat is on a lift.
I did place a 8ft stick from the bottom of v to the lower unit.
The cavitation plate is about 2.0 to 2.5 inches above.
I will have to eventually put back on trailer,but before I do I probably need the dealer to ride with me for demo.

The reason I thought that evinrude would talk with me is I have heard from G2 owners that this new lower unit design requires a higher mount?

The person that answered the phone told me I should buy the installation manual.
Or bring the boat to a different dealer 60 miles away?

Sounds like there could be 2 issues here.

1.) The motor is mounted too deep. A common issue easily resolved.

2.) If you are running >8 knots and plowing water (rather than being on plane), you have to expect to be covering up the motor with wash. That isn't an Evinrude or even a Parker issue. It is a boat operator issue. Either slow down <6 kts or jump on plane. Your boat was not designed to plow water like a ski boat.

Take a photo of the mounting holes being used and post them so others who have solved the issue of a motor mounted too deep can chime in.

OK,
I took a piece of string and taped it to the keel.
I leveled the string out the best I could and stretched it pasted the lower unit.
I then put a piece of painters tape on lower unit at the line.
SEE photo.

My Cavitation plate on the G2 is 2inches up from keel string.
From the dialog this is too low?

I am just trying to get the best advice for when I go talk with the dealer.
So, the further the lower unit is from the transom the less displacement of water, hence the motor needs to come up. (but how much?)

Attachments

• cavatation plate small.jpg
    cavatation plate small.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 275
Can you post a photo of the mounting holes?
My guess is that she is still too deep.

Photo of my motor when I raised her.
You can see she was originally as deep as it could get, so it was raised to the 3rd hole.
Honestly, it probably could have been raised all of the way up.

The results were dramatic.

Attachments

• 24Apr 001.jpg
    24Apr 001.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 274
Megabyte":u9rvp43k said:
Sounds like there could be 2 issues here.

1.) The motor is mounted too deep. A common issue easily resolved.

2.) If you are running >8 knots and plowing water (rather than being on plane), you have to expect to be covering up the motor with wash. That isn't an Evinrude or even a Parker issue. It is a boat operator issue. Either slow down <6 kts or jump on plane. Your boat was not designed to plow water like a ski boat.

Take a photo of the mounting holes being used and post them so others who have solved the issue of a motor mounted too deep can chime in.

I TOTALLY agree.

Your motor is to low also. These boats LOVE a bunch of tab and Bigger tabs work best. There is plenty of info on that here. On a 23ftr.
12 X 18's.

The rule of thumb is 1in up for every 12in aft of the transom.... That gets you in the ballpark. Then it's the fine tweaking with height and prop's. Yes a particular prop can give the stern more lift.

I have my 225 mounted on the bottom hole one down from Megabyte no issues. I back down to come into my channel from 25-30mph to 8mph and the following sea never gets close to the bottom of the engine cover I say raise the engine 3rd or 4th hole

Just curious, is a factory Parker Outboard bracket made of stainless steel or aluminum?

TWOBOATER":1pvw4dex said:
Just curious, is a factory Parker Outboard bracket made of stainless steel or aluminum?

Name of the company is Stainless Marine, but the bracket is made of aluminum.

Good morning guys sorry to revive an older thread but looking for some advise, just sold my 1989 2520 ( great boat but wanted a 4 stroke and closed transom). I just bought a 2007 2520 XL with a Yamaha 250 with only 395 hours love the boat but I know it should have a bit more top end speedwise. Here's what's going on: trimmed up only 1/8th max throttle I am seeing 32.1 mph at 6000 rpms, if I try to trim up to even 1/4 tim the motor hits the Rev limiter with cavitation ( when I test drove boat I assumed the prop had the wrong pitched prop as older guy owned it original owner and didn't care about top end plus dealers are famous for putting wrong props on boat). Boat has the standard 15.25x17p stainless on it. So now that I own it I went out last night and tryied trimming up at a lower rpm (4000ish) and same thing at 1/4 trim, revlimiter with cavitation. The prop looks like it has seen it's fair share of cavitation as the blade ends have a little serrated knife look to them. Motor is in the second hole from the top. It's in the factory swim platform bracket and this was with a full tank of gas. Is motor too high? Every other boat I have owned has been able to trim up to at least 1/2 (owned 8 boats), advice? Mounting holes height? Prop? Realistic top speed numbers ( I have read 35-37 on the f225 and 38-42 on the f250 which I have? These numbers are all with the trim tabs up so as not to complicate the numbers.

Well.....Something is not right.....I'd start with pulling the prop and take to a "GOOD" prop shop. Hopefully one that has a computer prop scanner.

You need to KNOW what that prop Actually is......Not what the numbers on it say.

Back