eng trim/tilt drops down under load

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iltfish

Reaction score
Hi guys- Seems that I have developed a problem with my trim/tilt on my Yammie. It is a 1999 S200TXRX.When engine is under load (on plane), the engine seems to drop down from original trimmed position. I am not able to trim it back up while running. Once I pull power back and come off plane, I am able to trim engine correctly.But once back on plane, it will drop back down. I have no problem raising or lowering engine when in slip.
Again, problem only appears when under load. I have looked at the piston seals from above and do not see any obvious leaks. As boat is slipped at a marina, any work like checking fluid levels or changing seals will require me to pull the boat out of the water. Which I have no problem doing.
I am just trying to narrow down where this may be coming from? Being that there is no visible fluid externally, could I be looking at an internal bypass of some sort?
If anyone has any ideas on how to isolate this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks as always.

I'm not the expert here but it's a hydrolic system and its all about having tight seals to maintain the pressure in the pump and lines. If it's dropping under load then you have a leak somewhere and or the fluid is low. I'd say both. See what others say and maybe you will get an easy miracle fix recommendation. Good luck.

Not looking for an easy miracle fix...Just trying to get on the right track here.

I am planning on pulling the boat when the opportunity presents itself. But I am trying to look a few steps ahead, as pulling the boat is a bit involved...long story.
Besides checking the fluid, what else would be adviseable? In other words if the fluid level is ok, what else should I be considering?
Just trying to get a good game plan together so once the boat is out of the water I am able to attack this and resolve in a timely manner.

If me would buy new full screw and 2 washers . Use old screw for backup. Check lines fittings are tight and lines are not bad and leaking. Other stuff when.boat is out, water pump, change lower unit fluid, check internal and external zinc. Change oil, check prop, adjust motor height if needed. Check trim level sender switch is not rusty and lever is not broken and operates smoothly, change plugs, check zinc in heads, lube all pivot fittings, repair prop if dinged, if have transom bracket. .check drain plug and zinc, if external transducer check bracket is tight and ducer is not damaged. Chrck scuppers. Some like ball type others the flap type, clean out speedo tube, ...m2cw

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sounds like air in the system. Air is compressible, fluid is not, & should not have any give, or spoungeiness. Cars that have air in their hydraulic brake lines need to be bled. Otherwise pedal continues to move downward. Look for air in the system.

Checked fluid level. Added fluid and operated up/down several times. Checked fluid again and it was full. When operating up and down, trim/tilt motor sounds strong.
Ran boat yesterday and engine still drops down. Thoughts???

I assume that you are referring to the bleed down screw on the side???
If so, that's something that I have tried but the screw is seized. I have tried spraying it down, but it wont budge. Funny, it moved ok prior to the season as it is part of my spring prep to exercise that screw so it doesn't freeze.

Brent- I am not sure what this will accomplish by loosening the reservoir cap?
When I added fluid, I used Dale's method of adding fluid in the Up position while my helper held the T/T button in the Up position until fluid dripped out of reservoir. This process should have purged out all of the air.
I am afraid if I loosen the cap and run the t/t motor, this will just suck air in causing more problems.

Problem solved. I replaced the orings on the trim pistons. One of them must of been bypassing allowing the pressure to drop. Just put boat back in the water and finished running. All good!

iltfish":2saahayr said:
Problem solved. I replaced the orings on the trim pistons. One of them must of been bypassing allowing the pressure to drop. Just put boat back in the water and finished running. All good!
Thanks for the follow up. It's good to know "cause & effect".

Back